Wtb: Foz/Legacy/Impreza

Saw it last night, it's a grade RA import. I also saw a DC5 he recently imported from Japan and it was not in the type of condition I would like. In fairness at least he's not trying to get premium money for it

Last edited:
Bump

Market seems all over the place between high priced nice cars and high priced sh*t boxes it's a mess

No value there at the moment unfortunately . Japan seems the way to go despite the vrt and costs as least you’ll have a way cleaner car underneath.

Less chance of it needing a full restoration underneath . It it depends on what your buying and where .
You seem to be looking for the impossible? A mint, perfect , Grade 4-4.5 car on Irish reg for well below the market price . You can’t have it every way . Something has to give . So either take a lower grade and do some work or up the budget . Or wait for the next recession or crash and pick them up for a lot less .

Less chance of it needing a full restoration underneath . It it depends on what your buying and where .
You seem to be looking for the impossible? A mint, perfect , Grade 4-4.5 car on Irish reg for well below the market price . You can’t have it every way . Something has to give . So either take a lower grade and do some work or up the budget . Or wait for the next recession or crash and pick them up for a lot less .

I'm not looking for impossible at all. Just sick of seeing UK Imprezas with 130k miles popping up at 20k or more, nobody buying them, and then every other moron thinking his car is now worth The same.

While I understand the market is on a high lately, to me personally,,theres not many old JDM cars that are truly worth current asking prices. I'll continue to hold on and be patient. Too many lads out here fishing for fools with deep pockets.

Recently. I have seen a lot of cars sit online for 2 or 3 months and then get re-advertised again. Obviously, a seller can ask whatever he/she likes. But if it's taking 3 months and the car still isn't sold, its either not desirable, in poor condition or is overpriced. Simple as. My last 2 cars, R33 Skyline and DC5 Integra all sold within an hour or two of advertising. This was all in last few months. I think some lads overpaid for their cars and can't stomach to maybe lose a few quid and choose to be stubborn. Some sellers seem to want their money for timing belt and clutch jobs back out of their car. Rather than viewing it as general maintenance and expense of owning a car, they add it to the price as if its a set of Forged Wheels they've installed. And on top of it ALL, most sellers cant write a for sale advert or take a decent photo to save their life

one ad for a dc5 literally read "mint car, sailed NCT, its one a da good ones". Didn't list any mods, any service history or mention condition.
I viewed the car before that numpty bought it to resell and it was far from mint. the passo side was 3 shades of white.

Last edited:
There’s no one bringing in fresh jdm cars and selling them for what they cost or less . Only way to save a few quid is take the gamble at auction or the dealers and wait 3 months till it arrives and play the vrt lottery .
Good cars are worth what it costs to replace them .
what in your opinion is a fair price for a Blue jdm. Blob on Irish reg with 80,000 klm on the clock . All belts and oils done and mapped

There’s no one bringing in fresh jdm cars and selling them for what they cost or less . Only way to save a few quid is take the gamble at auction or the dealers and wait 3 months till it arrives and play the vrt lottery .
Good cars are worth what it costs to replace them .
what in your opinion is a fair price for a Blue jdm. Blob on Irish reg with 80,000 klm on the clock . All belts and oils done and mapped

nobody intentionally brings a car from Japan to Ireland to make a loss. Just because a car costs X amount in another country doesn't mean it is automatically worth that and more in Ireland. Especially on cars like these with technically feck all book value. When the cars were 5k here, they were still double that and more to Import and nobody gave a hoot.

Take FN2 civic type R, right now, they cost a small fortune in Japan but aren't worth more than 6k in Ireland. Yet nobody is kicking up a fuss or asking 20k for them because "that's what they make in Japan"
Some near stock pre facelift DC5's are currently making over £16gbp in UK, that'd make them near €30k landed in Ireland with VRT recent quotes of 8/9k. They aren't making that in Japan or Ireland, so why aren't people saying "well they make X amount in UK" and putting them up for 30k?

Some examples are truly worth big money to a small number of people. But it can't be helped if others get themselves in a panic and start paying OTT money for rusty example.
If you are selling a car, you aren't looking to replace it with the same car. If I sell my car, it is because I don't want it anymore or I need the money, not because I want to replace it with a twin. Obviously you take all market values into account and condition of the car when selling. But basing prices purely on what they cost elsewhere and not in your own market is what is killing the used market here.
Based on this logic, new cars would never depreciate. I'm aware the JDM/sports car market is different, but at the moment there's a lot of chancers and very few genuine sellers. I've seen a lot of sellers on donedeal wipe €2-3k off asking price within a month or so of being up. I can appreciate chancing your arm, but why waste your own time and potential buyers?

Take that Impreza Type R that Deane Motors recently sold for 50k asking price. How many people in Ireland have 50k for an Impreza? And at what point do you stop stocking up on 50k imprezas before you are left sitting with them and have to start selling them for less to get some of your money back?

There’s nothing killing the used market here . Your living in by gone times talking about what cars made 5 years ago and what the book value is . It’s irrelevant , I bought an S204 5 years ago for 23k the book value here is Probley 8-10k the cost of replacement would be 35-45k . But none of the figures matter because I’d you want 1 you pay the going rate . If you don’t and your only looking for a bargin then you sit and hope 1 comes along as they do every now and again .

You seem to be confusing what cars are making to what you think there worth . Are 22b cars worth 100-150k no . Are they making it yes . It’s doesn’t mean there worth that but the market dictates otherwise . .
you say cars here are over priced ? Compared to where the Uk before vrt and import duty .
if they were cheaper better cars anywhere other than Japan we would me buying them there .
I’m not having a go here 👍👍 I’m just trying to figure out where you seem to think prices are at , some cars here are overpriced for what they are and the condition . So in that case buy a grade 4 in the Japan and bring it in

As many above have said its the buyers that dictate the market price not the sellers no one here is gonna sell their car for much less than others are currently advertised at if none are selling then the prices will eventually come down to a point where buyers take interest again
Only issue here I see is that 15k while it's nice budget probably will get you a car that needs a few grand spent on it in the current market at least
Maybe hang about and wait for that one cheapish one that pops up but your not alone in your search and they will be few and far between

There’s nothing killing the used market here . Your living in by gone times talking about what cars made 5 years ago and what the book value is . It’s irrelevant , I bought an S204 5 years ago for 23k the book value here is Probley 8-10k the cost of replacement would be 35-45k . But none of the figures matter because I’d you want 1 you pay the going rate . If you don’t and your only looking for a bargin then you sit and hope 1 comes along as they do every now and again .

You seem to be confusing what cars are making to what you think there worth . Are 22b cars worth 100-150k no . Are they making it yes . It’s doesn’t mean there worth that but the market dictates otherwise . .
you say cars here are over priced ? Compared to where the Uk before vrt and import duty .
if they were cheaper better cars anywhere other than Japan we would me buying them there .
I’m not having a go here 👍👍 I’m just trying to figure out where you seem to think prices are at , some cars here are overpriced for what they are and the condition . So in that case buy a grade 4 in the Japan and bring it in

I'm not confusing anything. There's a difference between what a niche market or group will pay for certain cars and what the techinal and documented book value is, but dont assume this means i only value cars by the book, i dont. Cars are worth x amount to fanboys and y amount to insurance companies in the event of a pay out. So technically both things are true.
I love cars, but until I have serious disposable income there's not a hope I can find 20k of value in any impreza or Integra etc, unless it's a keeper. Something like the Original Irish WRX recently for sale

Grade 4 doesn't mean very much. I've seen grade 4.5 with obvious repair down the passenger side just this week. Grade 4 now includes lacquer peel, corroded wheels etc. Grading means very little these days. And unfortunately, having had plenty of great JDM legends for under 10k,I'm struggling to find the want for one for near double that. Perhaps I am growing out of it. But I know long term I'd like something away in the corner for weekends so I'm just putting the feelers out

Your living in the past . Do you magically think ( fanboys )as you call them have deep pockets are are going around buying up Over priced Subaru’s . Thinking about what you bought for 10k 5-10 years ago . Times have moved on and a lot of them cars are gone and the ones that are left are gone up in price. Most of these cars are 20 years old now so supply is limited . There’s the odd 1 floating around with low Mileage but it will need work as won't be mint being here in Ireland .
Hope you find what you're looking for in your budget 👍👍

Supply and demand, it's as simple as that - not just cars, anything.
100% there is a lot of overpriced stuff on the market these days but to buy any nice performance car (not just Jap) in a superb condition, you will have to pay top dollar, unfortunately.

Also, there are in fact new cars appreciating in value - 2 cases I've seen in the states recently, a friend of mine bought an F150 (or some other Ford pickup) and then Ford stopped making them so the values went above what they were new so he made money off it selling it.
He then bought a 911 GT3 which, because you have to be lucky to buy one due to limited numbers, he can now sell for more than what he paid for.
But maybe that's just the USA :unsure: they seem to have more money than sense over there.

Supply and demand, it's as simple as that - not just cars, anything.
100% there is a lot of overpriced stuff on the market these days but to buy any nice performance car (not just Jap) in a superb condition, you will have to pay top dollar, unfortunately.

Also, there are in fact new cars appreciating in value - 2 cases I've seen in the states recently, a friend of mine bought an F150 (or some other Ford pickup) and then Ford stopped making them so the values went above what they were new so he made money off it selling it.
He then bought a 911 GT3 which, because you have to be lucky to buy one due to limited numbers, he can now sell for more than what he paid for.
But maybe that's just the USA :unsure: they seem to have more money than sense over there.
I agree. Immaculate examples and good drivable examples will always be worth top dollar.

There is definitely an element of artificial inflation to take advantage of the USA/Canada 25 year rule. Some of those guys have been anticipating it and saving for their dream jdm cars and will happily pay top money. It's having a knock on effect.

However there are still some people selling their cars privately and for fair prices if going to a friend or fellow enthusiast to keep

It's a perfect storm really on several fronts

1. U.S.A. and other markets driving prices up in Japan
2. Brexit adding 33% on the cost of anything from over there
3. More demand for a toy in the shed/yard due to covid
4 Car raffle companies buying up cars
5. J.D.M. cars starting to be accepted as Classic cars in the Classic scene that little bit more now
6. V.R.T. Quotes coming in at extremely unfair prices that aren't justifiable but have to be paid as the car has already had duty and vat paid to get to that point,so you're already on the ride me sideways roller coaster abye then and there is no getting off
7. Donedeal and its insane users who think they are all going to get a slice of the cake for there own sh*t box

I can't see J.D.M. cars falling in price any time soon unless we get a slow down but that won't be this year anyway.I personally can't see rising prices to continue but with several factors at play I can't see them dropping either.

Even if a recession came along I think a lot more people would park them up and hold them more so than last time.

Im guessing there are 20-30 J.D.M. Newage STi in Ireland (I could be wrong but I don't think there is that many),and I can see demand out stripping supply for a good while yet.

Personally I think Your budget will get a U.K. car at best in a newage Blob Or Hawk STi and in J.D.M. a WRX (there was a WRX V-LTD Hawk up 2 months ago for 12950 )

Also the car You sold went up in value also so cost to change should be a similar % as beforehand as everything went up so I would focus on the cost to change rather than the price itself

The car listed above belongs to @Aido 8sti he bought it of @Gary sti last year and it is definitely one of the nicer ones that are knocking around,the Blue Forester STi on Donedeal looks nice and I think that owner is a chap who owned a J.D.M. Blob STi that a mate of @GORDON GT SERIES II purchased last year and it was a lovely example so i'm sure that is a nice car also,its not in that long so should be very clean.They are the 2 I would be having a look at that are currently on the market.

Anyway best of luck in Your search and I hope You get a car :thumbsup:

Your living in the past . Do you magically think ( fanboys )as you call them have deep pockets are are going around buying up Over priced Subaru’s . Thinking about what you bought for 10k 5-10 years ago . Times have moved on and a lot of them cars are gone and the ones that are left are gone up in price. Most of these cars are 20 years old now so supply is limited . There’s the odd 1 floating around with low Mileage but it will need work as won't be mint being here in Ireland .
Hope you find what you're looking for in your budget 👍👍

while searching for an old sale advert for the prodrive sti I came across this thread from a member called Diesel Tom.
It is a perfect example of the fake inflation that occurs because lads can get credit union loans and get a horn for a quick car.
How much is this car worth? This was all before 2015. Somehow in 9 months a lad that paid 19500 for a car valued it at 9500 less 8 months later and the original seller made about 18k off the same car by finding lads with more money than sense and ended up with the car back too. I am not saying limited editions arent worth good money, but theres a lot of messing going on too and people just paying silly money for no reason

History in this car (2004 UK PPP STI)
Baught it the first day for €7,200
Sold it for €13,500 to a man in limerick
Baught it back off him for €10,000
Sold it then to a lad in in Meath for €15,000
Baught it back off him for €10,000
Then sold it there 8 months ago to a lad not to far from me
Here for €19,500
And just Baught it back there now again for €10,000
So think there is a bit of a sign there lol to
(KEEP IT )

Back