Track day car

Only getting to upload some YouTube stuff today, this is a little clip I stuck together from most of my 2019 events. It was certainly eventful [emoji28]

https://youtu.be/UMxAkL_vsww

This one is from a sprint i done in Mondello yesterday, it?s a stick hatch ex Rally Cross 106. Unfortunately I got a burst brake pipe mid way through stage one and only had handbrake after that.
On fixing the pipe we found bigger issues. The bottom ball joint had come loose as the hub had cracked. Could have only happened on transit that morning as I tracked it the night before and spanner checked everything. You can see the steering is left hand down which wasn?t the case the night before.
Very lucky the bolt held but there was huge play which explains the handling issues I had. Still enjoyed my short run and will take the positives.

https://youtu.be/OzkLa3EGJSQ

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Great work throughout the year Adrian some hard knocks along the way last year but fair play for bouncing back :thumbsup: look forward to 2020 :clap:

Nice little move forward with the project last night. Last week we got the engine sitting in place and started some wiring, but last night I needed to lift it back out to fit the sump baffle.

bc157823c04e747b9de43e00cd58aff5.jpg

I knew I would need to this but wanted to mock up the engine fit to make sure the loom was ok with new injectors and sensors.
I had some grief trying to get the correct 3 pin plug for the Clio RS TPS but gladly I found the correct one and now have it fitted and connected.

61136a6a74a85b19271eb6474d7eef90.jpg

With the engine now in place and most of the wiring sorted, it?s time to get stuck into rebuilding the gearbox. The Box itself should be pretty good but I have a set of synchros I want to fit as there was a slight crunch into 2nd and 3rd at pace. It?s not a huge job but definitely time consuming. I sat up the rad and inter cooler just to see what room I have left and where I can fit oil coolers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I opened up the gearbox for inspection, and to change the synchros as a minimum. I had this box opened before for inspection so I always knew it was good and hadn?t a hard life.. ?until I got it?:)

3202bcaea95531abec4112378e3576ae.jpg

It is basically a standard VTS/GTI MA-5 box apart from been fitted with a 3J Driveline Plate Diff and straight cut 4.9 final drive. I had acquired a set of brand new synchros from someone looking for a 3 door saxo shell, luckily I had such item and was glad that little swap left this job free. Barter is what this car is 50% built in and the rest is anyone?s guess [emoji28]

08a242449397d7b19841ab7b4c8901e2.jpg

The old synchros didn?t look very bad but the new ones were definitely worth fitting and should leave it a little less crunchy. Pretty quick job in fairness as I didn?t need to remove 1st gear and all the selector arms, they can be a pain to slot back in. Bit like a game of chess:)

4c5a8a79be9020686e634403bc1d836b.jpg

I remember forgetting this C clip before in my last box! Wasn?t very nice at all[emoji22]
Great to have this job out of the way, I need to modify the link arm for the shifter next as it was never 100% after that I can start fitting the box, shafts and all front suspension. I?ll also be changing the front wheel bearings, the stress of slicks wouldn?t be to forgiving.

Last edited:
Last night the intension was to head down to the garage and give the gearbox a good degrease and clean up before fitting later in the week. I got a little carried away and couldn?t resist getting back into place.

ba22b59972d64bb5f928d8e17acd8bc4.jpg

I always had issues with the cable shifter, I just never spent enough time setting it up right. The selector arm was also welded in the location so this was stressing the cable. I made up a new lever and welded it at the correct angle. I done this Sunday before cleaning up the box.

b6fa4cd1c2a47c0e3df0739c415cc050.jpg

Gear shift is a lot better now so this will be very helpful on track. From here I can really launch an assault at getting everything back together.

So far this week I have done a few small but important jobs. First up was fitting a new FIA 6 pole kill switch compleat with pull cord. The last one gave trouble so too important not to replace.
I also finished off my power steering, looking forward to having that little comfort back.
It?s now wired back to a dash mounted switch via original relay.

f21a7e7dd748e8c5fcf46d3097ad24f5.jpg

Another job was mocking up all the coolers to make sure everything fits. I have the rad mounted in its original location and inter cooler stacked just in front.
I made an extra tray to extend out and carry the charger oil cooler and the main engine oil cooler.

d7a347af81c946f1dac13d2031d24f41.jpg

It looks like everything will fit just fine. Little more work needed on this as it?s all just sitting in place. I want to make sure all pipe work can fit without restrictions before bolting all together.

174eb12b08031b1cefdb6ca65e20612d.jpg

:clap:Nice work Adrian :thumbsup: any way or room to fix a support bar in front of them coolers to protect them as as small front tip could be very expensive especially as the oil cooler Would blow the engine if you didn?t see it

:clap:Nice work Adrian :thumbsup: any way or room to fix a support bar in front of them coolers to protect them as as small front tip could be very expensive especially as the oil cooler Would blow the engine if you didn?t see it

Cheers man!
Ya it?s the only issue with everything shoved out the front, but very little room for any kind of crash bar. I plan on fitting an oil pressure gauge so at very least I can monitor for any leaks or pressure drops.

I'm not trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about here lol but, I do agree.
I'd be very skeptical about an oil pressure gauge, not the accuracy, but, if there was an issue, your really relying on yourself to spot the gauge in time
I'd imagine if something did mess with the oil cooler at the front, and poked a hole or popped off a feed line or something along those lines, you'd have seconds before it's too late I'd say.
When oil can be at 5 or 6 bar of pressure like,,, you'd have a fair chunk of it gone in a few seconds I'd say.. I reckon it's better safe than sorry

I don't have experience with it, but merely suggesting.
Had my oil pressure sensor on a sandwich plate on the oil filter, it was actually poking down below the filter itself and only noticed some time after... If it got caught in anything and came off, my oil would be on the floor and that would have been the end of the engine.
I've since moved the sensor to the block.

Look, as I said, I might be looking into it way too much but you can't ever be too careful

Been following this thread for a bit, and I must say it's cracking work, I'm just never really any help with any mechanical stuff and most of the time I don't know what I'm looking at lol
Some seriously great work gone in here tho, and the thing sounds rapid. Have watched loads of the videos you've put up too ????????
It's just something I thought and said I'd share...
While you've everything off the front of the car now it may be the best time to try and address it if at all possible ????

I'm not trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about here lol but, I do agree.
I'd be very skeptical about an oil pressure gauge, not the accuracy, but, if there was an issue, your really relying on yourself to spot the gauge in time
I'd imagine if something did mess with the oil cooler at the front, and poked a hole or popped off a feed line or something along those lines, you'd have seconds before it's too late I'd say.
When oil can be at 5 or 6 bar of pressure like,,, you'd have a fair chunk of it gone in a few seconds I'd say.. I reckon it's better safe than sorry

I don't have experience with it, but merely suggesting.
Had my oil pressure sensor on a sandwich plate on the oil filter, it was actually poking down below the filter itself and only noticed some time after... If it got caught in anything and came off, my oil would be on the floor and that would have been the end of the engine.
I've since moved the sensor to the block.

Look, as I said, I might be looking into it way too much but you can't ever be too careful

Been following this thread for a bit, and I must say it's cracking work, I'm just never really any help with any mechanical stuff and most of the time I don't know what I'm looking at lol
Some seriously great work gone in here tho, and the thing sounds rapid. Have watched loads of the videos you've put up too [emoji106][emoji16]
It's just something I thought and said I'd share...
While you've everything off the front of the car now it may be the best time to try and address it if at all possible [emoji16]

It?s definitely something I have thought about in fairness, but I?d be more afraid of blocking the air I need by putting a protective covers in place.
I have had contact a few times in races and it?s fair to say o got away light enough.

895c618b73254ffa1c3c7176aadbd4b3.jpg

It?s not unusual to mount oil coolers at the front like this, I won?t be leaving the bumper as open as this one. My front bumper will be left a lot more stock and will have protective mesh.
There is always the chance of a heavy front impact but that?s something I have just come to live with.
I will run an under tray under all coolers to stop stones from hitting any pipe work. I have the sandwich plate mounted so the sensor points up out of the way so should hopefully be ok.
While I can?t really add much it the way of strength I fully understand and appreciate the concerns related to the oil coolers.

b103cc0bf56d4b2fcd15398628c8bb90.jpg

In this photo you can see my bumper is pretty complete but without mesh. I?ll definitely be fitting some mesh in here to keep them stones out. Even hard balls of rubber at over 100 MPH could potentially do harm.
Thanks for the input lads I?ll definitely give this more attention and see how it can be improved [emoji106]

Yeah I'm with you man, you know what your doing in fairness, I've no doubt you'll have it as safe as feasibly possibly ????looking forward to seeing it back together again ????????

Yeah I'm with you man, you know what your doing in fairness, I've no doubt you'll have it as safe as feasibly possibly [emoji108]looking forward to seeing it back together again [emoji106][emoji106]

Cheers mate, sometimes everything is a compromise between doing the best you can with what you have and what you can afford.
I?ll be the first to admit that I?ll put performance before safety as far as equipment/parts are concerned. But saying that I definitely don?t want any silly issues to take the car out of a race. It happened to much last year.
Way to much go?s into that race weekend to end it by overlooking potential issues. So I?m happy to have my eye turned for these things[emoji108]

Latest little additions, been looking for some bonnet vents and came across these fiberglass vents.
You could mount then either way but I just need then to let hot air out from behind the rad and inter cooler.

a5e3560e18d5f982b1f98ec4f6dd67d8.jpg

4a0226828d540142dce776f11c97ffc6.jpg

I have also fitted a 6 rib pulley on my alternator to match the 6 rib crank pulley, this will allow me use a 6 rib belt for the charger.

9d8e8e9baa74b8a543684d8a923f92e5.jpg

Started fitting the charger last night. Very happy with the bracket, it makes the installation so easy. I have to use the alternator brackets from a 8v engine with this bracket, luckily I have one in the back yard:)

ee2b704b5e64c3e7eb59c6f8b8231062.jpg

I have replaced the crank pulley with a billet aluminum 6 rib to match the alternator.

f5884d5dad682d7f93e053d91c27c322.jpg

Everything is sitting in place now and working out well. Will need to try figure out pipes for the boost circuit but it shouldn?t be a huge drama.

d0cfb03bacf62da5dc90e5cab2a8225d.jpg

That?s how she sits now, hopefully I get a bit more time during the week to get another little push on.

fcf6cd8dc415c2e4b0d05a47eed284f7.jpg

Back