Bolted to the chassis in 5 spots! But perfect for cutting my grass[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using my finger

Spikes in the wheels next Adrian thin out the grid[emoji14][emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji14]
f9b4daac94a89e8c9cca17c30f88a06f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Little end of season update!

Leinster Trophy weekend two weeks ago was the last two championship rounds of the season. I wasnt really in the running for a place in the championship with missed rounds and a few DNF?s.
I couldn?t resist getting back to Mondello as I hadn?t raced there all year, and it should suit the car better than the big power circuit?s up north.

I had put a lot of effort in beforehand to make sure the car didn?t suffer the heat issues it had all year, and made some setup changes.
I had fitted a new front splitter too and the car was good to go.

b3b825fc2d0c55379cfb56ea245a6b17.jpg

We had two races over the weekend, qualifying and race one on Saturday with race two Sunday.
I went out for qualifying Saturday morning and the car was shocking!
Could not understand why I was having such issues with rear end all year, any this day was no exception. The issue was always the slow right hand turns, it would just snap around like it had casters under the back axel.
The session was red flagged after two laps or so. While in pit lane a marshal came running to me and said there was fuel leaking onto my rear passenger wheel!
The sudden realization that he had just found my issue all year[emoji22]

Can?t believe I was so stupid not to have fitted a roll over valve on my fuel cell breather. I never thought it would leak with the foam filled cell, or just pure lack of experience on my part. But this 100% crippled me all year and led to a complete lack of confidence in me and the car. On the right hand turn while on full tank the fuel moved to the left and up the breather pipe. This pipe just went to ground but was landing in the rear diffuser and funneling onto the back wheel. So silly but at least it?s a handy fix and I can say I have learnt a valuable lesson this year.

Cool shot from qualifying shows me fighting the car at South Side! 2nd gear corner and should never be sideways here..

15f314ef275f3da08c94335cdbe45589.jpg

Between race one and qualifying i just fitted a longer breather to miss the back wheel and re adjusted the back ride height. I still wasn?t sure what difference it made but just kinda wanted to reset everything. I removed rear slicks and fitted old AO50?s, I just wanted reassurance that I?d have max grip in the race and not take someone else out of the race if things got loose again.

Race one started badly!
My gear shifter cable had came loose and left 1st,3rd and 5th very hard to find. I have a habit of taking the car out of gear and back in on the grid. I normally release the clutch to make sure I have bite, but this time I didn?t. I was left on the line then had to play catch up.
When I did get going I started to pick up a few places. Managed to pass my main rival in the Civic but could not defend against his power advantage. My car is 185 bhp per tonne with driver and his is 209. I can get the work done in the bends but he can pull me down the straights.
The car was feeling good and I was getting some confidence back, times were getting into the low 59?s but sadly the race was red flagged. Pats lotus had taken damage at 7A luckily the driver was ok and hopefully he gets her sorted soon. Very sad to see it damaged on the edge of the track.
Race 1 finished P3 in class.

https://youtu.be/0EbJ4h6h8-Y

Race 2 was a different story.
It was absolutely soaking on the Sunday afternoon. I didn?t have wets so reverted to fitting old AO50 on the front and two old cracked Yokahama wets in the rear.. they were completely useless!
But I started good and kept the lead of my class for most of the race. I passed one class A car as he also didn?t have wets. Eventually the Civic on full wets got passed me despite my best efforts to hold him off. I did enjoy wet weekend and can?t wait to get back at it next year.
Race 2 finished P2 in class.

https://youtu.be/_Zu5DELvj3g

c23218775fe0f003b3ebff81a9d2ff99.jpg

The plan as you probably have seen is to fit a super charger for next season. The car needs more straight line speed, it?s in its absolute limit with available power.
I?ll be trying a lot harder to get a little more sponsorship if possible. My lack of racing budget doesn?t help when trying to compete against others who clearly have it. It will be a short six months so work has already started . The engine is coming out for refreshing and fitting the super charger, I haven?t sourced this yet but hopefully I?ll have it before Christmas. I will also revert back to power steering as I have the stuff at home for this. I miss the short rack ratios and I think it will be important to have this with the faster pace next year ? hopefully ?

That?s it for now and I?ll try keep the devlopments updated here over the winter.

Last edited:
Been kicking on with some work to prep the car for 2020. The main mission is of course to fit a super charger. Slowly I have been picking up some bits for this including a new map sensor.

369ab5f24ff63cc1d4f1c2d272fc79ed.jpg

I couldn?t resist taking out the engine for inspection, I also want handy access to change back to power steering. As I?m looking to add at least 50bhp I thought it would be a good idea to strip the engine and build it all back up. Not going crazy with steel, just doing bearings and seals. I?ll get Martin Tracey to check everything over. He will balance the crank, deck and hone the block.

Another new addition to my shed this engine crane. It will be very handy even for small jobs like dropping the gearbox. Some day I?ll manage to get a lift in here.

d63f036f3b54576f20dbb521937a0192.jpg

3662d85b73d09ca9246d274c8eebf9c8.jpg

3af2e766de4f6c1fa7ad314d68991b03.jpg

The gearbox will soon be stripped for inspection and new synchros. Next job is to pack the engine internals and get them over to Martin. Once that?s away I?ll start looking at work on the rack and gearbox.
It?s going to be a very long winter but I?ll update here as often as I can. As always the budget is tiny and work is only done as I can raise the funds. In many ways this makes the job that bit more interesting.

Last week I got my bottom end back from Westward Engineering. Everything got cleaned up, cylinders honed and block decked. I?ll be replacing all seals and gaskets as it wouldn?t make sense not to at this stage.
Martin checked pistons and fitted new rings also. All big end bearings and main bearings have also been replaced. I done the big ends three years ago but never done the mains until now. The complete rotating assembly has been balanced and the flywheel skimmed.
New oil pump also fitted as they are quite cheap, they are not known to fail too often but best to be safe. Thanks also to Dec got calling over to lend a hand with assembly.

b9ec2b7668a68b2eef4ea1e73538acac.jpg

9343442790cbec130a48f5ba76cd027e.jpg

The head is away now for some TLC. With a little of the block and a little more of the head, I have been advised to fit the standard or less aggressive inlet cam. I?ll still run the 743 exhaust cam as they probably more important that the inlet with boost. I was planning on fitting a restrictor but the cam alone may help keep power where I want it.

It?s all coming together nicely now, slowly but it?s only been done then time allows. I gave the power steering back in also. That will just be wired to a switch on the dash. That also got treated to new track rod ends and all new bottom ball joints fitted.

Great stuff Adrian like I said before if it was a magazine I?d buy it great work at this stage I?d say it?s more than just a track car or an old weekend whippet

Great stuff Adrian like I said before if it was a magazine I?d buy it great work at this stage I?d say it?s more than just a track car or an old weekend whippet

Cheers mate!
Yes it?s kinda lost the track car title now. It won?t see many track days only for some light testing as MI test days are a joke.
We have a Ford Fusion track car project in the go so that will be the weekend whippet ;)

Got out to the shed tonight, didn?t do much more than admire the nice new head work. Fitted with new valves, seals and lifters.

a3a97b30d4e78b1cf5c3892e31ff15b1.jpg

I had planned on respraying the the block with the same blue HT paint, but after bee over with Martin Tracey I seen him use Hammerite and thought it looked great! At that he ran off to find a tin of blue Hammerite and kindly donated it to the cause. Couldn?t be happier:)

d53fad39c394c07e24033e1e6e61299b.jpg

Hopefully I will get a chance tomorrow evening to get the head back on and start fitting the cams. I need to pick up a replacement timing belt kit also.
Once I?m finished with the engine I?ll turn my attention to the gearbox.

Tonight I started working on building up the head. It?s actually my first time to do it alone. Last time Dec was with me but I was keen to pull on the big boy pants and go for it.
I picked myself up a handy little angle gauge too. I had all torque ratchets myself anyway.

a4d8639aabac20f70c55a3011858fa88.jpg

It?s fairly handy job in fairness once you know the settings and have the tools.

d1269203537e4c30efa9bc2fc4158504.jpg

I have the cams back in now too. As I said before we decided to use the standard inlet cam as I just don?t have clearance with standard pistons. I?m keeping the big exhaust cam as they are a smaller valve. The power I want will still be achievable.

d812d0c1f87cdf9df382b180cfc26370.jpg

f7e6cd14037995462579dccb2596f104.jpg

The C2 Max manifold will need to be matched up a bit, but it?s a pretty handy job. The new Map sensor is remote mounted but I need to fit a bung for my new air temp sensor.

c028c71a584fbaa439f266375699f16d.jpg

b87b7d9dcabc75b073a56729bfd57ac1.jpg

I?ll need to get myself a fuel rail for this and hopefully the Clio injectors are ok too.

First little job tonight was to fit the timing belt kit. Motor factors got me the wrong kit last week so picked up a new Gates kit with water pump today.

727ec4b923016733f72018f075c97b81.jpg

I managed to get some nice new synchros for my gearbox and a C2 vts fuel rail in a barter deal for an old saxo shell I?m finished with. Now that I could fit the rail I see my Clio injectors are to small.

db98aa950046e6f5360e2bf8e2b5c91a.jpg

I found out that Focus ST225 fit these manifolds and can be got cheap on eBay. After checking measurements with some Ford injectors Dec had I can confirm they will work, and should be the correct impedance for the omex.

I matched up the ports on the C2 manifold to my head and drilled the new holes. While I was at it I cleaned up the manifold inside and out as it was manky..

8f063ad304d84b87b7ae18dd361caddb.jpg

Next up is to bring the manifold off to weld up the old map sensor hole and re-tap it for the omex air temp sensor. As the new map sensor is remotely mounted I can use one of the original vacuum outlets for this.

Updates been a little slow here lately. Basically I haven?t made huge ground but been busy sourcing parts and still waiting on some. My sump baffle is being made and hopefully will be with me soon.
I should have always been using one but luckily got away with it.

18f04291db0278e4bd3611a8ff73b213.jpg

My fuel rail setup was always going to be an issue as the C2 VTS rail has no return. After getting some advice from Martin at Westward Engineering i turned to DanST in the UK to build a custom rail. They do great work and had done work for me before so always good to stick with those you know and thrust.

ec16f60a3f6ab9984eebad2e20b23604.jpg

I completely removed the front panel from the car for two reasons. First reason was to straighten the driver side chassis leg. This was damaged in round 1 where a barrier ran into me[emoji23]
Big thanks to Dec for all his help on this one, wasn?t easy but with good help noting is impossible.

Reason 2 was to make something better for carrying the inter cooler, oil cooler and rad. I used some aluminium I salvaged from the building site I?m working on. Love when you find something and instinctively find a job for it[emoji28]
3cf477b6e271d6e391a47b38a6e5f66d.jpg

2678e14170caf8754fd3f487f8adbae2.jpg

I have also secured some sponsorship from Hugo Loonam motors. Delighted with this as every little helps. Hopefully I can pun on a few good performances to help promote their brand.
If anyone knows anyone that might be interested in motorsport sponsorship let me know as I?m always on the hunt[emoji51]

0257a78015a48a2826e98a41a001206f.jpg

Got my billet alloy fuel rail fitted last night and really happy how it worked out. Danst in the UK made this especially for me which is pretty cool. I picked up a set of Focus ST225 440cc injectors as this is what the rail was built to suite.

b2f4ceecf07f2426fa28cd73191f1b8b.jpg

They did supply little alloy brackets for this but I had to drill and tap the rail to suit mounting brackets on the manifold. Kinda poxy how well it worked out.
I got all new gaskets from Citroen for the C2 manifold, they were really cheap so be silly not to get them.
After modifying the manifold to fit the J4 head it was nice to get it all fitting on last night.

ed00d695b44166a99ed8640af00e6191.jpg

abc7e330eb5c7637f4d376aad6a10581.jpg

It?s a nice little step forward for me as I have been waiting a while to gather the parts together. Hopefully I can get the engine back up to Martin before the holidays to get the cams timed back in correctly. It would be nice to get the engine back in over Christmas and get some wiring done.

Back