OPC Astra

DaveSleggy

Have another post in the scooby wanted section about a WRX but iv hit a bit of a speed bump being my insurance company want me to sell my liver to insure one.

Im 28 3 years NCB and 3 points (speeding, one offence)

If i do have to give up the jap dream for a while i was thinking of getting some European power, I know its more expensive to but and to get parts ect but could be an idea for the next year or 2 to get past 30 then insurance companies seem to chill out a bit, cause we all know on our 30th birthday we all decide we dont to crash our cars any more.

I was looking at OPC astras as they seem fun enough, not mad money to tax, and my insurance doesnt mind them.

Anyone got any insights or opinions about other cars from personal experience or word of mouth.

Or even about the OPCs amy owned one? I know a good bit about the things that go wrong and what to look out for.

They seem to be going for 5.5-7.5k for 06 or 07 ones.

I have an opc. Does exactly what it says on the Tin. Mad as a box of frogs on red bull. Very handy to service and look after. Like everything don't abuse it and she will look after you. My one flew through the nct last week. She's my daily driver. It's for sale if I get the right offer.

Things I am wondering about are,

How well does it put its power down being FWD?

Is there much turbo lag?

How does it sound from inside and out, exhaust, turbo spool ect (I like loud)

Is there much room for slight modifications or would you even bother?

And how well would the cars on the lower end of my 5.5-7.5k budget fair in comparison to the top end?

Sorry for the pop quiz lads just wanna know the details before i part with a hell of a lot of money (well for me anyway)

:xmas_cheers:

[quote author=DaveSleggy link=topic=43814.msg505002#msg505002 date=1422537479]
Things I am wondering about are,

How well does it put its power down being FWD?

Is there much turbo lag?

How does it sound from inside and out, exhaust, turbo spool ect (I like loud)

Is there much room for slight modifications or would you even bother?

And how well would the cars on the lower end of my 5.5-7.5k budget fair in comparison to the top end?

Sorry for the pop quiz lads just wanna know the details before i part with a hell of a lot of money (well for me anyway)

:xmas_cheers:
[/quote]
Ok...not loud very refined...my one has a drop in k and n filter and a cdti airbox conversion which gives it a lovely sound. I'm not into modifications at all. Im a great believer in if you want a good looking car go and buy one, if you want a fast car go and buy one, if you want a fast good looking car go anr buy one. This modification craic isn't for me at all. Now you can do loads with them and get mental power but like all cars you do that to IT WILL EVENTUALLY BLOW UP. As for lag if your really hammering it there's a little bit of mid range when she's above four thousand revs. No problem putting the power down excellent traction control system employed.

I sold 7 of them when they were new for a Opel Dealer

Ran one as a demo for 6mths too my mate also has one since 2008 as his daily

Does it put it's power down ?

Yes if the road is straight dry and your tires are good but will still try yank the wheel outta your hand on a bumpy road you can forget using more than 50% throttle

Is there turbo lag
Not really spools quickly

How does it sound?
Sounds good drop the rear seats and you get a nice exhaust noise on boost like dark vader breathing amplified upgrade exhaust sounds better on the cruise all you will hear is tire noise (worse on the optional 19s)

Personally wouldn't bother with upgrades apart from good pads / tires ect

No idea how the cars in your budget would be

All I can say is they can do 30mpg good comfy car on a smooth road quick too the sports seats are fantastic but you sit a bit high (not a problem if your not to tall)

[quote author=Ciaran WRX link=topic=43814.msg505006#msg505006 date=1422538425]
I sold 7 of them when they were new for a Opel Dealer

Ran one as a demo for 6mths too my mate also has one since 2008 as his daily

Does it put it's power down ?

Yes if the road is straight dry and your tires are good but will still try yank the wheel outta your hand on a bumpy road you can forget using more than 50% throttle

Is there turbo lag
Not really spools quickly

How does it sound?
Sounds good drop the rear seats and you get a nice exhaust noise on boost like dark vader breathing amplified upgrade exhaust sounds better on the cruise all you will hear is tire noise (worse on the optional 19s)

Personally wouldn't bother with upgrades apart from good pads / tires ect

No idea how the cars in your budget would be

All I can say is they can do 30mpg good comfy car on a smooth road quick too the sports seats are fantastic but you sit a bit high (not a problem if your not to tall)
[/quote]
I've none of those handling issues with the power in mine...handles the power absolutely fine. Mine has the bigger wheels though and I've decent tyres so maybe that's why. Darts vader? I must give that a go on the way home this evening. I've no wheel yanking at all.

Have you thought about a Mk5 GTI OR FOCUS ST never driven a focus but the GTI is a good quick car feels planted to the road/ handles well cabin space is OK nice place to sit if you get one with sat nav etc.. and not bad to run if maintained right as with any car .

[quote author=stel94 link=topic=43814.msg505011#msg505011 date=1422538820]
Have you thought about a Mk5 GTI OR FOCUS ST never driven a focus but the GTI is a good quick car feels planted to the road/ handles well cabin space is OK nice place to sit if you get one with sat nav etc.. and not bad to run if maintained right as with any car .
[/quote]
And at least 40 bhp less than an opc. And way less opcs on the road. Golf gti's are as common as s**t in a field

Cheers for the info guys

Yeah i think tyres on this car will be the best mod and i had heard about running a mile from the 19s

And the gti or St were my other options only thing was, sorry to any golf owners but im not a big fan of them and the amount of tdi shitboxes in gti kits is enough to put anyone off and st is lovely but 1300 road tax is difficult you know

[quote author=DaveSleggy link=topic=43814.msg505013#msg505013 date=1422539043]
Cheers for the info guys

Yeah i think tyres on this car will be the best mod and i had heard about running a mile from the 19s

And the gti or St were my other options only thing was, sorry to any golf owners but im not a big fan of them and the amount of tdi shitboxes in gti kits is enough to put anyone off and st is lovely but 1300 road tax is difficult you know
[/quote]
A man that thinks like me....love it...I've the 18s on my one. And if you want to drive mine your more than welcome

[quote author=stel94 link=topic=43814.msg505019#msg505019 date=1422540030]
what about a leon cupra r if not set on a opc drive a few cars before you make up your mind [emoji106]
[/quote]
Sure thats just a golf gti with seat badges

heers scrawnban i think i may take you up on that offer, i heard the electric power steering can be a love it or hate it kinda thing, does it take much feel out of it?

And yeah i respect gtis for what they are, but golf drivers (not all of them, in case i offend) tend to be a pain in my arse, and yeah mark IV and Vs are like rats around the country.

Yeah i wasnt sure about the seats the old ones were audis and new ones are golfs but just cheaper builds??

[quote author=DaveSleggy link=topic=43814.msg505023#msg505023 date=1422542359]
heers scrawnban i think i may take you up on that offer, i heard the electric power steering can be a love it or hate it kinda thing, does it take much feel out of it?

And yeah i respect gtis for what they are, but golf drivers (not all of them, in case i offend) tend to be a pain in my arse, and yeah mark IV and Vs are like rats around the country.

Yeah i wasnt sure about the seats the old ones were audis and new ones are golfs but just cheaper builds??
[/quote]
I've the half leather recaros in my one and I find them very good. Ya being honest about the steering it can be. But just hit the sport button and it's like day and night being honest

Had a focus ST as a daily for about 6-7months.

Have to say in the last 5 years. Was probably the car have loved the most. Had from 71km-79km. So was nice tight car.

Just an all round nice car. Not the fastest. But that wasnt the question. And yes i would actually go and get another again. Not many cars you say that about.

6cd93cd3d2e10aa7cce861840b979904.jpg
ce12d848599e1b94d8e1169abe276298.jpg
5ff9a76574524b3b811195973c8d85bc.jpg

Agree with dave there drove one for a few months a while back very good all rounder comfy fast enough and the 5 Clynder soundtrack great car

But Golf mk5 Gti is a better car in my opinion than but like for like pricy alternative

Can't argue with the looks of that car she's a beaut dave and I'd love one, I think they're usually about 1000 less than the opc too but if I'm paying 2.5ltr money I think I'd like to be going quicker.

Mind you if one came up at the right price I'd snap it up

Back