Advice on what to do (bodyshop)

Spot on Kevin and Eoin. That is a possibility. I'll just have to accept that risk for the moment and take a decision in two weeks by which time the new frame rail should be in (I'm confident it wouldn't be based on the current trend). If it isn't then I pull the plug and put a stop to this asshole wasting my time.
Fairplay Andy that's the right decision going forward I think for your own peace of mind I hope it works out for you fingers crossed 🤞 for a good result 👍

I think you made the right decision Andy, you spoke to him honestly, told him you've lost confidence. I'd imagine he's hoping to tip away at your car in between the regular cash-money work. Just hope for his sake and yours that he actually makes progress on it this time.

And if not, at least you have the few weeks to come up with a Plan B and can be prepared to remove the car from his premises if needs be.

I'd be worried that if he does get the chassis leg done and then stalls the ball for months again. If you go moving it at that stage, I think you may find it very difficult to find someone to take on a work in progress that someone has already been at.

Update September 21st 2022 (I have to put the year considering how long this is taking LOL )

Went to the bodyshop today. To recap, this is what he said to me the last time I was there on August 24th...."I'll have the new frame rail welded in in the next 2 or 3 weeks". I said "I don't believe you, I just have no reason to believe you at this stage". He said "No no I'm telling you I'll have the leg in in the next 2 or 3 weeks.". "I'll even send you pictures" he said.

Fast forward to today (4 weeks later) and nothing has been done. I walked onto the premises and the guy spots me and says "I'm getting to it". I continued walking onto the shop floor to see the car still up on the jig but no work done. He starts waffling on about the rear bumper clips and I said "yeah but you've done nothing with the frame rail" to which he replies "I'm getting to it in the next 2 or 3 weeks". I said "you've been telling me that for a year". He says "well look I'm getting to it". At that point I said nothing further turned around and had to just walk out before I regretted my actions or words.

At this stage I feel like this guy has taken total advantage of my patience and good nature and that pisses me off. It's not nice when you feel like you have no control over something, especially when it comes to an item belonging to me.

Time to get it out of there. Maybe even bite the bullet and get it abroad. Andy Winter in A T Auto Services looks to be doing some tasty restoration work.

Would the likes of Ali Burrow etc have contacts for that sort of work? Surely the rally stuff he works on takes a similar bang every now and then requiring similar repair work?

If it was me I’d pull it out of there now at this stage , just rock up with a trailer and pull her out of there

It gives your 3 /4 weeks to come up with a plan of what you’re going to do with the car when you take it out from there , get someone else or store it for a while and see then but I highly doubt you will get any updates or it will be done if the previous 11 months are anything to go by . But either way you have a date for either removing it or it’s done . But it need to be fully done not just the leg cut off cos that’s the easy bit .

You should have brought the trailer with you and just loaded it up .your exactly where you knew you were going to be . Remove it and store it or bring it somewhere it will get done .

Ya take it away Andy the relief will be unreal believe me and you can forge ahead with a plan of action.

Take her away andy,and to me that,s progress straight away,you will think clearly then and find some good fella with a bit of word,that will get your car up and running best of luck👍

Sorry to hear but as above time to move on and get it out of there.

Colin Rogers of CR Auto Restorations in Derry could be worth a shout.

Unfortunately you are dealing with a wa*ker, and he is probably going to do sh*t work anyway going by his attitude.
Get a trailer and take it out of there, no notice just arrive up. Put the car away and plan for next year.. there could be big changes coming with how busy these guys are.

RH auto repairs in donegal (was mentioned further up the thread)
Has a video up this evening on fb of a v5 type R , he just finished, serious looking job, and he's done a good few impreza now, Colmsti555 used him for a bootlid,
Worth a shout id say, he's not afraid of work like some bodyshops these days.

Mulled this over the last few days and there are a few considerations.

1) This time waster has my car a YEAR. That's a lot of time to just write off by taking the car out of there. If I was to do that I would be putting myself back 3 years (2 years of covid where nothing got done anyway)
2) Coming into the winter now so I don't need the car back. If it was done like it should have been 10 months ago and back on the road I'd only be putting it into winter storage in a few weeks anyway.
3) I've nowhere to put the car right now if I do take it out of there. Which leads me to...
4) Free storage. If I just leave it there and he does nothing with it over the winter then I sure as hell am not paying him a storage fee. The car should have been done 10 months ago.

I've been backed in a real shitty situation.

Mulled this over the last few days and there are a few considerations.

1) This time waster has my car a YEAR. That's a lot of time to just write off by taking the car out of there. If I was to do that I would be putting myself back 3 years (2 years of covid where nothing got done anyway)
2) Coming into the winter now so I don't need the car back. If it was done like it should have been 10 months ago and back on the road I'd only be putting it into winter storage in a few weeks anyway.
3) I've nowhere to put the car right now if I do take it out of there. Which leads me to...
4) Free storage. If I just leave it there and he does nothing with it over the winter then I sure as hell am not paying him a storage fee. The car should have been done 10 months ago.

I've been backed in a real shitty situation.
Bigger problem for me is that he has shown he couldn’t care less about you or the car, and more or less he can do what he wants to do and you will put up with it… I wouldn’t be too sure your going to get a good job done, I’d go as far as saying I think it’s going to be a rough job if it’s ever done.

Your wasting your time Andy . Your hoping again hope that it will be done . It just won’t your a year here wasted already .
Arrive up with a trailer abs pull the car as it’s never getting done .
Also is he just doing the jig work and someone else Is painting it or he’s doing it all .
Back in storage or anywhere is better than there now .
It’s never the wrong time to do the right thing

Back