Advice on what to do (bodyshop)

You should be able to pm Andy as its a feature of the new forum, try again and if still having issues let us know
I don't see any place to start a private message or a direct message. I have an envelope symbol on the top right and I can go in there and see people who have sent me a message. But there is no "new message" or compose new message that I can see.

You can also click on someone's username and the option to start conversation is there also

Screenshot_20220821-174543_Chrome.jpg

I don't have that either Eoin. I only have Follow. Ignore and Start Conversation are not there.

Not a full member. I thought I could still PM though? Maybe not?

Not a full member. I thought I could still PM though? Maybe not?
I'm not sure remember that was one of the changes full members could pm few years ago.. ect I could be wrong also ..why not stick up a email and ben can get in touch with you ect best of luck đź‘Ť

UPDATE Aug 25th

Went to the bodyshop yesterday (Aug 24th).

The car is back up on the jig but no frame work has been done. Which puts me back in the same place as last April 8th when it first went on the jig but no frame work done. I got the same lines again "I'm getting to it", "just been really busy".

So I explained my position and said that 2 months ago I was angry now I'm just disappointed. No even angry any ore just extremely disappointed in how this whole thing has gone. He kept telling me it would get done and he was getting to it. But I just laughed and said I've had 11 months of "I'm getting to it" and I now had huge regret about leaving my car here).
I said I have absolutely no reason to believe that any work will ever get done on this and I have zero confidence in any progress being made.
He said "I'll have the new frame rail welded in in the next 2 or 3 weeks". I said "I don't believe you, I just have no reason to believe you at this stage". He said "No no I'm telling you I'll have the leg in in the next 2 or 3 weeks.". "I'll even send you pictures" he said.

So, If the new frame rail is not welded in and the panels back on by end of September then I'll have to come to a final decision on this.

Just pull it out what the hell is he gonna do for 3 weeks fitting a chassis leg
Your only making life hard for yourself when the jigs done whats next 4 years of painting
Pull it now save yourself some grief
Even if its nowhere else its better than that

UPDATE Aug 25th

Went to the bodyshop yesterday (Aug 24th).

The car is back up on the jig but no frame work has been done. Which puts me back in the same place as last April 8th when it first went on the jig but no frame work done. I got the same lines again "I'm getting to it", "just been really busy".

So I explained my position and said that 2 months ago I was angry now I'm just disappointed. No even angry any ore just extremely disappointed in how this whole thing has gone. He kept telling me it would get done and he was getting to it. But I just laughed and said I've had 11 months of "I'm getting to it" and I now had huge regret about leaving my car here).
I said I have absolutely no reason to believe that any work will ever get done on this and I have zero confidence in any progress being made.
He said "I'll have the new frame rail welded in in the next 2 or 3 weeks". I said "I don't believe you, I just have no reason to believe you at this stage". He said "No no I'm telling you I'll have the leg in in the next 2 or 3 weeks.". "I'll even send you pictures" he said.

So, If the new frame rail is not welded in and the panels back on by end of September then I'll have to come to a final decision on this.
If i was you i would pull the pin on that lad,your car will never be done,not even in 11month,s time with him,judging on what i have read,find somebody else who want,s to work,someone who wont mess you around,that,s to stressfullđź‘Ť

It gives your 3 /4 weeks to come up with a plan of what you’re going to do with the car when you take it out from there , get someone else or store it for a while and see then but I highly doubt you will get any updates or it will be done if the previous 11 months are anything to go by . But either way you have a date for either removing it or it’s done . But it need to be fully done not just the leg cut off cos that’s the easy bit .

I dono how you walked away and left it there again if I'm I'm be completely honest..
As said above tho, use the next few weeks to really scour every corner of Ireland and if no progress, or even a little progress, just get it out of there and be gone with it.
Maybe even try some places that do restorations on like old VW campers or something, anyone that would be used to chopping and welding...
You've patience lad, I'll give you that.
That fella just being a knob, give him the few weeks and get it gone if it's not done. Save yourself the headaches man

Telling you 2 to 3 weeks to put a chassis leg in is a joke, if he said 2 to 3 weeks and car would be fully finished it’s one thing but to just do the leg is madness, he needs to prioritise the car for a day or 2 to just get the panel work done

I know Ken. Really frustrated at this stage, 11 months into this with this guy. This is his last chance though. If in two weeks I get no pictures and I go up there and nothing is done then I'm done with him and the car will be taken out of there.

I know Ken. Really frustrated at this stage, 11 months into this with this guy. This is his last chance though. If in two weeks I get no pictures and I go up there and nothing is done then I'm done with him and the car will be taken out of there.
Andy I went through a similar situation last year with my other car a gt punto. The guy I asked to do the work I specifically told him I didn't want him coming home and looking at the car and saying to himself fucksake have to get stuck into this thing now. I told him id send it to were he was working and do it there as all I wanted to do was drive the car so what it cist didn't matter but no there'll be no bother was his response don't panic bear in mind he's related to my wife 9 months down the road car was outside his workshop at home out in tge elements after spending 14 years locked away a few things done but nothing major and yes same thing I'm at it at the moment I'm working on it now. I cut my losses after going down and looking at the state the car was in after being outside sitting in the weather told him I was taking the car back. Now I've been working on it myself and I'm not a mechanic but nothing ventured. The sense of relief when i took the car back was immense because I new I was in a better situation then straight away then when he had it.

Seems the motor industry is just full of messers and time wasters.
Andy it's an awful situation to be in as I said I had something similar it's up to you of course what you do but I'd be calling tomorrow or Friday have a look if there's progress grand good but if not I'd be gone out of there. At the end of the day Andy even if there is progress and its taken however long to get that are you in reality going to leave it there then if there's other work to be done and wait again indefinitely with excuses coming your way I think that's a more important question ?

Spot on Kevin and Eoin. That is a possibility. I'll just have to accept that risk for the moment and take a decision in two weeks by which time the new frame rail should be in (I'm confident it wouldn't be based on the current trend). If it isn't then I pull the plug and put a stop to this asshole wasting my time.

Back