Advice on what to do (bodyshop)

Fair play Andy for sticking with it, haven't been in your situation (yet) but weaker fellas would have crumbled by now.

As the other lads have mentioned, this is just another bump in the road that you'll soon be long past.

It'll eventually be grand, just remember these moments and savour the car more when you're driving it.

Update May 2nd 2024 (probably last update for awhile)

Bill paid and the car is back in my possession and put away in storage. This bodyshop saga is finally over. I've reflected on the last 2.5 years dealing with this and God forbid if this ever happened again I will not be putting myself through this again and will probably just be done with the whole car scene/modifying in general.

The final bill amounted to €10,000. I chanced my arm and said "sure knock a grand off that for the inconvenience of how long this had taken". LOL
We settled on €9500. This is the figure I had in my head so there was no shock when it came to it. Its a lot of money but right now I have a rust free immaculate Type R that just needs an engine.

Just to recap the work it had done...
1) both front frame rails and all front panels replaced. Everything forward of the bulk head except for the strut towers.
2) Both sills/rocker panels replaced
3) upol/raptor entire underside, wheel arches
4) all rust cut away and replaced with new metal
5) full respray
6) engine bay sprayed 74F and lacquered
7) boot and spare wheel compartment sprayed 74F and lacquered
8) P2000 spoiler prep'd and painted as well as the OEM spoiler
9) waxoyl rustproofing all cavities

Car is tucked away in storage now and I move on the next phase. When that will start I have no idea.

Thanks to all the comments and advice from people throughout this 17 pages long thread.

Attachments

• IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3858.JPG
    IMG_3858.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Update May 2nd 2024 (probably last update for awhile)

Bill paid and the car is back in my possession and put away in storage. This bodyshop saga is finally over. I've reflected on the last 2.5 years dealing with this and God forbid if this ever happened again I will not be putting myself through this again and will probably just be done with the whole car scene/modifying in general.

The final bill amounted to €10,000. I chanced my arm and said "sure knock a grand off that for the inconvenience of how long this had taken". LOL
We settled on €9500. This is the figure I had in my head so there was no shock when it came to it. Its a lot of money but right now I have a rust free immaculate Type R that just needs an engine.

Just to recap the work it had done...
1) both front frame rails and all front panels replaced. Everything forward of the bulk head except for the strut towers.
2) Both sills/rocker panels replaced
3) upol/raptor entire underside, wheel arches and
4) all rust cut away and replaced with new metal
5) full respray
6) engine bay sprayed 74F and lacquered
7) boot and spare wheel compartment sprayed 74F and lacquered
8) P2000 spoiler prep'd and painted as well as the OEM spoiler

Car is tucked away in storage now and I move on the next phase. When that will start I have no idea.

Thanks to all the comments and advice from people throughout this 17 pages long thread.
Some Job Andy well done to you what a job 👏

I must check when I bought my RA, think over 6 years ago and only getting close to been able to enjoy it. Knew would need some work when I bought it. Can't wait to see u at an event 👍

Brilliant man, great stuff. Some dedication to not lose the plot all along, be a very interesting next chapter now man, and hopefully won't take as long 💪💪

Congratulations Andy 👍👍👍 yes it was a long road but that part it’s sorted now . Yes it was 2.5 years and all the hassle you had and won’t get anything back for . But that’s the way it goes sometimes .
9500 doesn’t seem too bad but the 2.5 years and endless hassle took the good out of it .
Not sure what way that container is set up looks brand new but they suffer from moisture dripping off the roof as thr temperature changes outside so keep a check on it a maybe get a few moisture bags to soak up any drips that fall or even a light plastic sheet over the car cover 👍👍👍
Great to see it making progress 👍👍👍

Congratulations Andy 👍👍👍 yes it was a long road but that part it’s sorted now . Yes it was 2.5 years and all the hassle you had and won’t get anything back for . But that’s the way it goes sometimes .
9500 doesn’t seem too bad but the 2.5 years and endless hassle took the good out of it .
Not sure what way that container is set up looks brand new but they suffer from moisture dripping off the roof as thr temperature changes outside so keep a check on it a maybe get a few moisture bags to soak up any drips that fall or even a light plastic sheet over the car cover 👍👍👍
Great to see it making progress 👍👍👍
There is a spray foam insulation inside the container so fingers crossed all should be good and dry.

Back