Type 25 Rebuild Progress.....

Re: Engine is f**ked!!

Really sorry to hear this Anton :new_puppy_dog_eyes:

Hope you get sorted soon and by the looks of that list she'll be an even more savage car when she's done! :thumbsup:

Best of luck with her!

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25217.msg301439#msg301439 date=1281122978]
@ Dagnut,
True enough, I don't want anyone to have to learn the hard way! I can just recommend as best I can,
I have bought bits from Powerstation/litchfield, they did my first stage 1 tune (327bhp) also best price for foz sti lip and only place for porsche front pads!
They are building a savage motor for anton, best of everything,
But he'll be running a very similar spec to me, and how strong the actual motor is has not been a problem for me untill very recently!
Before that, it was most plumbing, setup and assembly issues!
Simply having Ciaran Re-plumb , setup and reassemble everything that is bolted to the engine had her running 100% reliably for 8 months inc 2 balls out trackdays!! (jan and feb)
The previous 10 months were very troublesome! 0% reliablity

Just sharing my experiances,

I'd be interested to know what our northern friends consider to be a safe setup to run that power, they run the same turbo on bog standard ej20's with more power and reliablity then lads down here with savage forged and bigger cc motors!
It's all down to plumbing, setup and assembly, their all mapped by the same lads!!

I have had a lot of bad experiances, I may mention it from time to time, don't assume it's always "cheap digs"
Don't be going looking for trouble when there is none! had enough of that last year,

Dan
[/quote]

I never suggested you were making cheap digs don't know where that came from, I know you have his best interest in hand I wasn't trying to start a big thing, just this scenario is much different than yours.
his car came set up running 415bhp from litchfields, we all know those cars run a reliable set up at that power, it isn't the same as you, your progressively modded your car to that power in different stages, using different parts. The type 25 rolls out running 415bhp and a warranty.

EDIT: just read Cill's post, maybe that's not the best place to go.

I think if the car achieves more power that the lamba sensor should be seriously looked at.

I know of a guy that had his car mapped for mods, he left his car to a main dealer and for some unknown reason they erased the map and reloaded the standard 01 wrx map back onto ecu.. this left him with it fuel cutting and just not running right, he went back and they said they couldnt get car started and that it was the aftermarket map, so they put the proper map on it, and that its not there fault that it wont run right because of the mods....
Main dealers might not be the way to go on this build. Maybe someone like Ali Burrows, or even Litchfields themselves would be best option, seen as do they are supplying

Simple things like having experience with after market head studs like arp or Cossie and the procedure of fitting, are all small things that can end up being big problems, i dont think a main dealer will have experience with things like this, also the sump baffle, is that a welded in item? also isnt there a weakness in the standard oil pick up in twin scroll sumps that some guys in Uk have been braceing the pick up as they were breaking and guys were having no oil pressure??
Its simple things like the aftermarket head studs, that i would worry about.
A

the "slightly cheap digs " comment was made by me dagnut , but not in a offencive way !!

Another thing to think on is that the way you are going about this there will be no responsibility on anyone, if there is something wrong with engine the supplier will blame the fitter, and if something goes wrong because of the fitting, they will blame it on the engine builder/supplier... :wall:

You are spending a lot of money, and im just wondering for the extra cost would you not be better to get Litchfields to do everything???
They cant be much more expensive than Subaru?
i would imagine that they would do a good deal on work as its there name and most places like to do it all.....

it be the logistics that would add the cost. and that might only end up costing 500 quid more to get Litchfields to do it all
I would imagine that your car will have a better value if it went back to Litchfields aswell.

Was it a conrod that broke in your old engine??

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=25217.msg301671#msg301671 date=1281196038]
Suppose the hassle is Litchfields are in the uk
[/quote]
I know it would be a pain in the arse, but when you are going down 6 or 7k in the hole for an engine, i think i would suffer the little bit of extra hassle.
I think the whole Litchfield type 25 thing will be kind of lost if they dont do every thing, it would for me if i was buying the car off Anton, Litchfields supplying parts is not the same a sLitchfields doing the complete job. thats just how i would feel about it, but i think anyone wanting a TYPE 25 would feel the same.

Going to send it to Iain to do all work. Appriciate the advice and think its the best option

I think thats a great choice Anton, think it will be really worth it and you will have a beast that you can have piece of mind with..
Did you get a time frame on getting her going? do you reckon it will cost much more by going the Litchfields route instead of the main dealer fitting?

[quote author=Anton link=topic=25217.msg301719#msg301719 date=1281208770]
Going to send it to Iain to do all work. Appriciate the advice and think its the best option
[/quote]

Defo a good choice,

The car will keep its value if not even add to the value because its all done by them :thumbsup:

Good move Anton! :thumbsup:
I don't like to see work going out of the country,
But in your case I think it's the right move,
I think this thread worked out well,
I'm going to edit out alot of what I have posted above, seemingly lads are getting offended!
No offence intended, just trying to help

Dan

I didnt pick up on anything offensive :ponder2: :ponder:

Im still interested to know was it a conrod broke like mine???

Appreciate you saying so Ken,
Official complaints and everything,
All edited as of 2 minutes ago! :thumbsup:
Dan

If i was droppin that sort of cash on the engine....
Id do the same thing.... in my honest opinion, its the only choice that makes sense

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25217.msg301800#msg301800 date=1281218943]
Dan
[/quote]

I didn't complain Dan. I thought it was an interesting discussion and you made good points.

Anton I'm delighted you are sending it to Litchfield. You have in my opinion one of the best cars in Ireland and she is going to come back better then she was. Best of luck with it.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=25217.msg301867#msg301867 date=1281276072]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25217.msg301800#msg301800 date=1281218943]
Dan
[/quote]

I didn't complain Dan. I thought it was an interesting discussion and you made good points.
[/quote]

I didnt either,
I didnt see anything abusive or offensive, Dan was mainly making points based on actual experience, the rest of us were just giving mainly opinions.
The lamba probe is a potential disaster waiting to happen, I would have never rememberd it, lucky Dan mentioned it

Cheers for the replies and showing me the right way to go. Everyone had great input and I found it very helpfull.
Now does anyone have any recommendation or numbers for transporting her to the uk?

Cheers again lads

When do you need it transported?
Ill ring a friend and see when they have a transporter going!!!!

Back