Type 25 Rebuild Progress.....

Re: Engine is f**ked!!

[quote author=Anton link=topic=25217.msg301227#msg301227 date=1281044700]
I am going to get it fitted here and mapped here too. I am not sure of the lead time either. I will post the full stats once she is complete.
Driving the brothers M3 at the moment as he us away and I must say it's very nice but I do miss the surge of an old turbo!
[/quote]
Who you getting to do the work over here Anton?
What year is the m3? they do have the comfort dont they

glad ya go t sorted anton and it seems ya have a really sweet build on the go best of luck with it

[quote author=KENC link=topic=25217.msg301260#msg301260 date=1281049556]
Who you getting to do the work over here Anton?
[/quote]

I hope to god it's someone with motorsport experiance!
You'll be running the guts of 450 bhp,
That requires a very different level of skill then your average garage,

Even the strongest motor in the world can be distroyed by being badly setup, and I don't even mean carelessly,
Sometimes they just don't know what they are doing, except for what they read on the Web!

Best of luck Anton :thumbsup:

fair play Anton!
Its good to see that bad luck can be transformed into a good oportunity to make something better!
:thumbsup:

I am getting paranoid now! It's Castle Garage in bray. They are a main dealer. Who do you think I should get to fit the engine!?
Excuse my ignorance but they are not building it just installing it. I know Derek and he wouldn't do something if he couldn't. I appreciate any advice :thumbsup:

Should be fine fitting an engine no different to any other engine, same mounts etc. It comes fully built from cosworth so I don't see what the problem is..bit of unnecessary scaremongering going on...as long as it run in correctly and mapped correctly where can the problems arise?
Your using the same transmission set up so can't see any issue there, I'm not a mechanic but just my opinion.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=25217.msg301333#msg301333 date=1281096185]
bit of unnecessary scaremongering going on...
[/quote]

100% agree with this point.

Not at all lads!
Although, it's no harm to be a bit fearful/cautious, keeps you on your toes,
Typ25's only run 415bhp standard, he's putting a 450bhp turbo on her,
No scoobies (that I know of) come standard with Oil catch tanks / Air-oil seperator, (which I reckon she should have with the power and boost she'll be running) that one thing plumbed wrong can cause a lot of grief,
Also, No scoobies that I know of have provision to keep the heat from the turbo away from the speed sensor on top of the gear box,
Again, I defo thing that is needed with the bigger harder working turbo he'll be running!
The standard location of the lamda sencor is in the headers before the turbo, it should really be moved to the down pipe after the turbo!
Their are just 3 things that spring to mind that a "normal" mechanic may not think todo!

With you being based in bray, I suppose Ciaran rs/ra (ASD Autos) is the nearest trader to you, He competes in the Irish touring car championship!
After him CDA setup a scooby for Time attack, although it hasn't run lately

Do you's thing you can just bolt a big turbo onto a car and leave everything else as subaru origionally intended??

I'd PM all our mapping traders, to get prices, they are all respectable, You already have your Ecutek license, so it shouldn't cost to much!

Best of luck

Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25217.msg301373#msg301373 date=1281109877]
Not at all lads!
Although, it's no harm to be a bit fearful/cautious, keeps you on your toes,
Typ25's only run 415bhp standard, he's putting a 450bhp turbo on her,
No scoobies (that I know of) come standard with Oil catch tanks / Air-oil seperator, (which I reckon she should have with the power and boost she'll be running) that one thing plumbed wrong can cause a lot of grief,
Also, No scoobies that I know of have provision to keep the heat from the turbo away from the speed sensor on top of the gear box,
Again, I defo thing that is needed with the bigger harder working turbo he'll be running!
The standard location of the lamda sencor is in the headers before the turbo, it should really be moved to the down pipe after the turbo!
Their are just 3 things that spring to mind that a "normal" mechanic may not think todo!

With you being based in bray, I suppose Ciaran rs/ra (ASD Autos) is the nearest trader to you, I competes in the Irish touring car championship!
After him CDA setup a scooby for Time attack, although it hasn't run lately

Do you's thing you can just bolt a big turbo onto a car and leave everything else as subaru origionally intended??

I'd PM all our mapping traders, to get prices, they are all respectable, You already have your Ecutek license, so it shouldn't cost to much!

Best of luck

Dan
[/quote]

I know Ciaran is a great mechanic and a credit to the club, but what has running a 205 got to do with fitting an pre built engine.
The other points you are making are kind of mute as it's already set up for a 415bhp turbo, are you saying the existing Litchfields/powerstation set up isn't good enough for 450bhp?
He's not just bolting a 450bhp turbo on to a standard STI, I'm sure Ian in Litchfields knows what hes talking about...didn't you buy from them?

[quote author=STi Brian link=topic=25217.msg301352#msg301352 date=1281100250]
[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=25217.msg301333#msg301333 date=1281096185]
bit of unnecessary scaremongering going on...
[/quote]

100% agree with this point.

[/quote]

as much as idont want to , have to agree 90% .
but can 10% see where your coming from . your looking out for his best intrests but with slightly cheap digs .
again jus my opinion and no offence meant

@ anton best of luck and hope all goes well . twill be a beast with that setup me thinks !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

surely litchfields have discussed with anton his requirements and have organised an engi.ne to meet that? They'd hardly supply an engine that wasn't up to spec would they

@ Dagnut,
True enough, I don't want anyone to have to learn the hard way! I can just recommend as best I can,
I have bought bits from Powerstation/litchfield, they did my first stage 1 tune (327bhp) also best price for foz sti lip and only place for porsche front pads!
They are building a savage motor for anton, best of everything,
But he'll be running a very similar spec to me, and how strong the actual motor is has not been a problem for me untill very recently!
Before that, it was most plumbing, setup and assembly issues!
Simply having Ciaran Re-plumb , setup and reassemble everything that is bolted to the engine had her running 100% reliably for 8 months inc 2 balls out trackdays!! (jan and feb)
The previous 10 months were very troublesome! 0% reliablity

Just sharing my experiances,

I'd be interested to know what our northern friends consider to be a safe setup to run that power, they run the same turbo on bog stand EJ20's
It's all down to plumbing, setup and assembly, their all mapped by the same lads!!

I have had a lot of bad experiances, I may mention it from time to time, don't assume it's always "cheap digs"
Don't be going looking for trouble when there is none! had enough of that last year,

Dan

Think Dan has a point about the Lamba sensor in manifold, i think ive read that the lamba sensor should be moved at a certain power level, mite be woth while looking into Anton.

Dan did your turbo unfortunetly eat up a lamba sensor before??

@ Kenc
All my above comments are from unfortunate personal experiance,
Indeed, Lamda was left in headers, to spite there being a mounting point in the down pipe, with no rewiring reguired, just unscrew and rescrew!
But as it wasn't, it found it's way up into my £1,600+Vat Stg turbo (bought earlier that year), causing £1,100 stg + vat damage plus hundreds of euro's labour,
Dan

Anton, 1st sorry to hear about the engine letting go, i just read through your spec list on the re-build and it looks very good.

I would really like to know what went wrong in the 1st place with the current engine before dropping a expensive forged build in its place.
Personnally with a build like this it would be going to some-1 who deals with fitting subaru engines as a living. As it has been said already, Any-1 can bolt it in place but will this be piped correctly.
Dan has made quite a few valid points on moving the lamda sensor from the up-pipe(At 450bhp this needs moved)as any-1 that has put 1 through there turbo will vouch. Will the turbo be primed correctly, will the crank sensor be removed to prime the engine for oil pressure !! all things that a good subaru mechanic will do.
Who will be mapping the car? what ecu are you running?

At the end of the day its your car and your money Anton, but i would like to be 110% sure it will be done correctly..

Car is in with a subaru main dealer!
My issue is, that those chap will never have had to know anything other than standard subaru proceedure,
Which may not but appropriate for a 450bhp, as it is time and a half the standard output
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=25217.msg301505#msg301505 date=1281129057]
Car is in with a subaru main dealer!
My issue is, that those chap will never have had to know anything other than standard subaru proceedure,
Which may not but appropriate for a 450bhp, as it is time and a half the standard output
Dan
[/quote]

Main dealer :icon_redface: my car would not go to a subaru dealer full stop Dan, for a build like this it needs to go to subaru specailist used to high power builds imho

I had some issues with my 02 STI a few years ago and brought it to Castle Street to get it sorted. Thinking that a main dealer would have all the specs, experience and back up from Subaru behind them. :subaru:

What happened though is they hadn't a clue and ended up recommending expensive sensors and plugs to try and fix it. Needless to say, none of it worked and I eventually got so pissed off with their incompetence I demanded my money back, which I only got about a quarter of as the sensors where now used and non-returnable.

I would strongly advise you against Castle Street with a normal STI, let alone your heavily modified Type 25. And yes, it was Derek who I dealt with and he was very happy to take money from me and seemed confident in recommending solutions, not so happy when I questioned his competence after wasting my time and money. :new_argue:

Personally, I think this kind of establishment has plently of experience... in changing plugs and filter but fook all with anything else. Get your motor back now before they have a chance to run up a nasty bill for a piss poor job. :hammerhead:

Its horrible having to hand your car to anyone to do any work on it, I know the feeling :icon_cry:, the best possible solution is to do it yourself with some time and patience, you can be sure of everything then ( if you're able for it ). With any garage or mechanic, I'm always afraid they are looking to do it as fast as possible so they can get on with the next job, faster they do it, more cars they do, more money they make... simple economics really. Like the builders, quote for 10 days, do it in 9, 1 day's pay extra profit.

Hope it all works out for you, but please, for your own sake, do not let Castle Street near it :thumbsup:

Anton if the type25 engine your gettting has the same engine mounts and everything else is stock then I'd be happy to let a main dealer do the job but yours seems to have a few extras that they may not have dealt with before so I'd be bringing it somewhere else as I'd rather have someone with experiance do the job then have someone try to do it with a bit of a learning curve in the mix. Yes he may do it but at what expence and remember the expence is yours at the end of the day.

He has done no major work on it yet so now's the time to move it if thats what you want.

Once again sorry for your troubles and hope your sorted soon.

Back