Rally Ireland thoughts

I watched the official coverage on RTE 2 last night and it was fantastic. Of course it was actually the Eurosport coverage but with thankfully little RTE input.

The stages looked great and I love watching a a good crash and there were plenty of those to entertain. Overall it made the auld sod look great and went a long way to redress the shabby coverage from RTE during the event.

As for the rally itself its a lot of hardship unless you book a really good hotel which is nice and central to all the stages and book in on Thursday night with about 10 mates. Thats what I did and after an early start on Friday at 6.15 am in a 3 car convoy of Legacy B4, WRX and Integra Type R I got to see 3 stages one of which was a half mile straight with the cars blasting past on the limiter in 6th :thumbsup:.

Saturday was fairly miserable and I aborted SS 15 in favour of SS16 as the traffic in Enniskillen was moving with all the pace of a glacier. SS 16 was worth the hassle though as despite standing on a hillside generously coated with sheep sheet and muck the view was great and you could see the brake discs glowing in the evening's drizzly twilight.

Overall a top weekend but I hope its somewhere East of the country in 2009 with roads that are much better like The Sally Gap or The Wicklow Gap.

Frawls

Hello to EVERYONE that I managed not to bump into at Stormont fek sake, we'll all have to get little ISDC flags so we can find one another in crowds :D it was bloody cold, great to have been there and I'm glad I can say I got to some of the WRC in Ireland but couldn't get to see very much of the Super Special, I see why they probably chose there as it did look the job all lit up but wasn't great for spectators, if ya weren't at the fence ya were fooked, and I'm quite little so only got to see some cars coming over the bridge and down around the statue, I did think the park an ride was a very good idea and worked well although they weren't prepared for so many coming out of Stormont after the big boys had gone through, we woulda hung around for longer ourselves had I had warmer shoes and a better view

Just wonderin... :ponder:...if it was a Group B demo at the start of the Super Special...was that not the Lancia Delta S4 from the pics that was scootin round Stormont and not an Integrale??? The Integrale was the production based 4 door which came after the Group B cars and pissed all over everything else...exactly what the new Scooby's gonna do...slightly quirky but purposeful :subaru:

I think your right Chara 555 :thumbsup:.
I havnt got any pictures but from my memory :ponder: it was a Lancia Delta S4 that was at the Stormont special stage and not an Integrale. Those group B cars are amazing. No refinement of noise and styling just all out boar and brut force. Deadly

the s4 is a group b car and the integrale is a group a car, sorry chara555 but i dont really understand the question :oops:

:thumbsup:

I was askin was it an S4 cause I missed them doin the lap and only saw the s4 in the photos an RoryFla had said twas an Integrale...I prefer the Integrale meself an was goin mad I had missed it but now it seems I only missed an S4 :p but mostly could only see lights an tops of cars :dunno:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

integrale is beautiful alright, s4 would be difficult to say the least as a road car :D

Well from a rally officals point of view I think the rally went rather well, the stages were really well manned, spectators were great all but for 1 guy on a push bike on junction 8 Ballinamallard, but I soon sorted that out with the help of a few spectators. I covered all 4 days covering some 900 kms, up at 3am on sat & sun and 6 am fri, and standing at stormont from 9am. Long and tiring weekend, got a run through all the stages I was posted on and boy they were slippy, nearly came a cropper a couple of times and that was going slowish :whistle: . Was talking to a couple of the drivers and they said that the stages were muddy, alot of gravel, but thats what rallying is all about, for those who complained about the conditions, well there is always circuit racing. Roll on 2009. :headbanger:

As for RTE, well the WRC online had live coverage every day and on all of the stages, Rallying is a totally different ball game to cover than gaa, after all gaa is held in 1 spot, / ground, rallying aint, would be if it were circuit racing.. lol

Was up in Stormont myself, great buzz but as a few have said, ti was pretty difficult to see if you weren;t on the fence, I managed to squeeze in though and see them all fly by, ridiculous back fires out of the WRC cars but the Group N's sounded even crazier!!

Scooby's sounded the best as well :subaru:

I wish though someone had of told the noisey b*tch commentating :shoot: to turn the fooking volume down, I couldn;t even hear the cars sometime, she was soo load.... and someone please, PLEASE, PLEASE tell these absolute mongo's on every coverage there's no feckin "T" in ImpreZa. AGHHHHH :wall: :angry: :angry:

I stayed till the very end there seeing all 110+ cars, some more went around than were on the programme, after that the 6R4 and T16 went out again, animal machines, T16 bottled under braking just before the bridge too, close call, could easily of wrecked it!! The quattro was unreal as well, bring back Group B!

Tried to watch RTE's coverage at home for the following days but it was atrocious, 15 mins of action and 45 of BS waffle, wtf???

I was talking to a girl here in work who said her mother was the production manager for RTE for the rally, I relayed my comments and those I've read here and asked her to give her abuse for the rubbish coverage. she did say to me though, they had a nighmare with technical problems in Stormont, up there since Monday trying to get it right!! RTE were sending the pictures around the world too.

All in though, a great event for the Island, and as they all said, probably one of the most difficult rally's on the calender, should make us a banker for the 2009 events

:subaru:

[quote author=six spoke clive link=topic=4340.msg46764#msg46764 date=1195801159]
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

integrale is beautiful alright, s4 would be difficult to say the least as a road car :D

[/quote]

good crack though!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

id imagine overheating in traffic would be a nightmare

Back