Rally Ireland thoughts

[quote author=Renno link=topic=4340.msg46035#msg46035 date=1195302782]
[quote author=Paulo link=topic=4340.msg46028#msg46028 date=1195297652]
I watched RTÉ's coverage last night and have to say... way too much chat and not enough action. Disappointing to say the least :(
[/quote]

And the Chat was desperate IMO. Like watching paint dry listening to those guys.
[/quote]

Couldnt Agree with you more Lads it's cringeworthy  :roll:  :oops: .They seem to be oblivious to the fact we have the worlds best driver's on our roads and may not have them again for another two years......If were lucky

Well lads, just back after 4 days in the Sunny North-West :roll:
I had a great time at the event, traffic was crazy at times but had Colin McRea & Bertie Fisher DVD's in the car so wasn't too bothered.
The stages were very tough, but you have gotta remember that these same cars drive over 6 inch rocks in other events so its hardly too poor a surface for them - well thats my humble opinion anyway.
RTE coverage was p!ss poor, but at least it was shown early so we could still watch Eurosport afterwards. I was staying in hotel with MacHales so there was more of an atmosphere with Gareth & Aaron actually appearing on the tv, all the family & friends having a great laugh.
Service park was a joke though, couldn't get anywhere near any of the WRC machines, crowds 10 deep at them all, and couldn't even get close to the Irish WRC machinery, that wouldn't happen at a National or International event!
And finally, a big thanks to Rob Scoobyke for helping me out with a couple of bottles of Octane Booster & John M for giving me a dig-out bouncing that sh!tty Honda Accord out of the way after he double parked and blocked me in on stage on Saturday evening. Cheers to you both lads :thumbsup: :subaru:

Just home from Mullaghmore. Stages were too narrow and twisty. The WRC drivers were afraid of their sh*t to make a mistake. It would of been better with better roads so we could all see these boys flat out on irish tarmac. Pity Meeke went out. The Citreon drivers were brillant to watch all weekend. The rest were miles behind. But good weekend and good to see Solberg finish :subaru:

The rally was ok...could have been better,getting to stages was a mess...service park was good...seen petter,chris....dave richardson,all the top boys,very wet but worth the wait....
No worries for the booster brian,glad could help ya out... :thumbsup:

sti brian is correct, greece is called a gravel event but has no gravel

Comment from Danni Sordo, grip is great for a gravel event. Have too agree, it sort's the men from the boy's.

John

i taught the rally was very disapointing,i headed up thursday for the super special in belfast with scoobyke,555scooby and a mate of mine,after paying 40 euro for a ticket i expected a good seat,but i could bearly see cause the seats were to close and high up to see the cars just in front off us,plus we got told to sit down when we stood up to see anything and as for the atmosphere,there was none and im not just talking on friday,the whole week end was sh*t,it was like people only came out cause they had nothing better to do,my mate and me had flags air horns and whistles and when we were havin a bit of a laugh ,people were lookin at us as if we were braking the law .on the last stage of the weekend there must have been a good 2 to 3 thousand people were we were and the only driver to get a small cheer was leob,so after a good hour walk to that stage it was very bad
then in the service park they must have been givin out v.i.p. passes for free cause all i could see were nobobies standing in front of me when solberg pulled into service blocking my view and i had been waiting for over an hour to see him.i have been to plenty of irish rallyes and the atmosphere has never been good but you could nearly follow the top ten lads from stage to stage,which made it ok,but the wrc is a bit different as you need to be at the stage a lot earlier,so i taught the atmosphere would have been a lot better.seen as i was over to the rally gb a few times and the times solberg won the championship there and the atmosphere was great.

after all that ranting i did think the marshalls done a great job and every stage went ahead on time which was good.

att;niall ,noboby could make the club meeting cause the final stage didnt finish till nearly 6 and that was about 1 hour drive from sligo on the southside of it and bundoran was a half hour drive from the sligo on the north side which was just to much after a long day
i dont think i would be bothered going again

[quote author=DUFFMAN link=topic=4340.msg46183#msg46183 date=1195497914]
att;niall ,noboby could make the club meeting cause the final stage didnt finish till nearly 6 and that was about 1 hour drive from sligo on the southside of it and bundoran was a half hour drive from the sligo on the north side which was just to much after a long day
[/quote]

fair enough. Next time I'll get a mobile numbers..

didnt get to go to the rally but watched it on rte and agree totally that rte were shite they showed fukall driving and talked too much

Hello Lads, fairly new to the club, just wanted to say had a great few days at the Rally, thought the rally was ok but what really made it great was being in the Subaru Corporate Tent, got photo with Solberg, David Lapwood, and Atkinson too. Really great to talk to the mechanics from Prodrive very interesting.

i feel for ya duffman :thumbsup: , i would of had the air horn and flag with me too

yeah rte fcuked up the coverage of super special alright but sure we all kind of expected that ,
weather was not the may west as me and 3 mates squeezed under one umbrella sat morn ,
luckily enough got a b&b fri night which meant no camping [deadly]
traffic was serious , last stage was brutal , as in we had to park on main road walked for nearly 2 + half hours only to realise we only got half way with ten minutes to start of stage so turned on heels, bad buzz. luckily we were headin opp way to traffic into sligo as it was jus mental.

anyone check out action in bundoran sat night, id say the cops were busy!!!

sat headin to a stage and farmer brought us down through fields and we got to park inside a field gate on the stage which beat the hour treck up side of mountain fri,

all in all with weather and walikn you d have to be a rally slag to survive, roll on 09

ps rte suck big time

Went to Stormount on Thursday night with the younger brother. On the way in saw eleven car transporters moving all the cars from Sligo and the three McHales following :wazzup: :shock:.
Was in early and got a nice spot at the start/finish and near the bridge. Before the WRC cars came out a few Group B cars came out for a few laps with Billy Coleman in a Metro 6r4, an Audi Quattro, Lancia Delta Integrale, Peugeot 205 T16, and Eddie Irvine driving the Red Bull Dakar Rally VW Touareg Diesel. :clap:
A few of the cars stalled at the start and overall I taught it was a good show. Its a pity thou that they didnt open more of the track to the spectators and I was told by a club memeber that it was proposed to hold it in the phoneix park which would have been better for spectators with more access. :wall: The background scenary of Stormount was amazing thou for the opening.

Got home after with little or no traffic and had parked right outside the main gates of stormount. Few hour kip and headed down to Arigna at four Friday morning. The crowds were low (people still at work) and parked near the stage with a good view point on top of a ditch for the first stage. Crossed Drumshanbo to another stage in the evening and after an hour being lost in a wood came out the other side at a nice tight bend on a bridge. :thumbsup:
Stayed in Eniskillen on Friday night :guinness: ready for Saturday. Met some northern cops in McDonalds who were drivin a V6 4x4 Passat with a 3.2L engine, they commented that they would give us a race. Ha Ha.
The rain poured all Saturday so after walking out to a stage we gave in and headed to Sligo go see the mechanics in action. The service area was well laid out and was there for the return of Loeb and other drivers to watch servicing.

Overall I taught it was a good weekend. If it does come back in 2009 I think it will be even bigger. Friday was an ideal day as the crowds were small but Saturday large crowds turned out and parking was harder. If you picked your stages and not tried to get to them all and had a good map showing all roads in the area with a few friends it can be great.

I went home Saturday night and saw RTE's coverage on Sunday which was dire. "All talk and no action" and it came across as if the presenters hadnt got a clue or interest. The coverage for such an event should have been live all day Sunday with cameras all along the Leg, helicopter shots, incar cameras ETC. This s**t coverage justifies me not havin a TV license. I just hope that RPM have done a better job and normally do and well see in the coming weeks.

stayed in bundoran. went up fri night and went on drink...

late start sat and ended up seeing no stages but went to service area in sligo...

@mac mac.. seen all the action in bundoran sat night up back off dome niteclub car park...

On sunday up early but only got to see stage 18..... Alright weekend..

@ dave were you in the club where j-90 were playing saturday nite i think it was you wearing a dublin jackeen coat :lol:

[quote author=rob mehigan link=topic=4340.msg46413#msg46413 date=1195598889]
@ dave were you in the club where j-90 were playing saturday nite i think it was you wearing a dublin jackeen coat  :lol:
[/quote]

mmmmmmmmmmmm maybe................ :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

where were you????

and must have been when leaving or arriving???????

if you were watching band did you catch dickhead group of about 8 whacking into everyone all night????????

And how'd you know thaty was me???????? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

[quote author=ericsti link=topic=4340.msg46233#msg46233 date=1195513552]
Hello Lads, fairly new to the club, just wanted to say had a great few days at the Rally, thought the rally was ok but what really made it great was being in the Subaru Corporate Tent, got photo with Solberg, David Lapwood, and Atkinson too. Really great to talk to the mechanics from Prodrive very interesting.
[/quote]

Well lads I was using Stephen Quinns computer one day and it rembered my user name and password! It was Stephen that posted this post!

I myself went from thursday to sunday, there where good points and bad! I went to the standing in the centre of the SSS and Couldn't see a thing only for the cars coming over the Bridge! The area was to small! on a good note I stayed in Belfast that night and this meant that I could availe of the Drinks stand which was beside the Big Screen and the Atmos was great!

On the Sunday I meet up with Luke aned Chris and Got a stage in! A good hair pin turn!
The only real Problem with this was the Poorly organised Park and Ride when everyone tried to leave at the same time at the end of the Stage!

After that we found our B&B and had a few drinks in the Bar next to it!

Saturday saw us heading to the Service area and then on to another stage! We got Parking right next to it and had good eyes on the start line down to the first turn of the second last stage of the day!

After that we back to the B&B and had a few more drinks!

Sunday I headed back to the service area but missed it! We then tried to get to the Last Stage but the Traffic was to heavy so I headed South east back home!

It I my mind was good and worth the money but it could have been much better! I'll defo gop again though! :thumbsup: :subaru:

Well lads I was using Stephen Quinns computer one day and it rembered my user name and password! It was Stephen that posted this post!

What a security breech :shock: ............hmm yourself and Stephen didn't happen to download the
details of 25 million UK citizen's buy any chance :lol: :lol:

Niall :nana:

Back