Hyundai i30N performance

scrawnban

Petrolheads
How's all, lads I spotted one of these the other day on the motorway and it Passed me like a hot sh*t on a frying pan making a very tasty noise, now I knew they were a thing and that Hyundai had head hunted bmws m division boss for their n division. So I did a bit of looking and research and digging and read a few reviews, and I'll be honest here...I did have a bit of badge snobbery towards the H, but my god for the price and the performance your getting, nothing on the market in the country comes close. Considering everything hot hatch here is 40k plus they seem to be serious value for money. I also watched Bob flavins review on it and I know a few of ye don't like him but it's worth a watch. I'm very tempted to go test drive one and see if I can finance it as I'm sick of driving a sh*t bucket and anything else I fancy is either to old or way out of my price range. Any thoughts on them feel free to share.

https://youtu.be/uKLVz7O1aAk

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There 40k new fwd only and don?t do launch take off as it just spins the Wheels . On the + side it sounds good

Over 10k cheaper than a golf r or an rs focus , not as ugly as the civic ,

Not as bland as the golf , nor as common as the golf ,

Couldn't buy a focus for fear of the motor splitting down the middle and I don't like the sound

Civic is to Halfords special with all the stuck on spoilers etc,

Only 2 cars I'd consider in this price range is the N or a 245 vrs ,

Think the badge snobbery with hyundai is out dated now , I'd compare the fit and finish of her last hyundai to the current Octavia or a golf etc ,
Its kinda ironic to that Subaru fans could have a sense of badge snobbery considering where Subaru came from , essentially a car sold along side farm machinery and aimed purely as a no nonsense 4wd utility car to work on country settings .

I'd probably look at Leon cupra r also , but the I30 is probably my favourite at the moment

Nice car in fairness but comparing it to a golf r or a focus rs is stupid. It's a competitor to the gti golf and the focus St and in that company it is a great option.
@tommy that's a fairly silly statement the focus rs engine is proving itself to be very strong after that one issue was sorted, mountune are about to release a 500 bhp pack. That's like saying every 2.5 is Junk, when loads have never had an issue.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Would take Focus rs all day long . Ford stood over the head gasket issue . Haven't seen any blocks splitting apart from a lad banging it around the track and putting it on youtube .

I think the fwd is hurting the i30n.

3% of focus rs engines had the issue.
I like the i30n but like I said it's a competitor for the gti / st/ megane rs cupra r not for the 4wd cars

Forgive my ignorance , just that strong engine has had a lot of failures very publicly posted and ford done a recall to if what I've read I's correct Dec,

Golf gti /focus st might be a Better car to compare to the i30 all right , I'd still pick the 30 , purely to be different to the heard ,

The focus rs has nearly 10,000 sales worldwide last figures I heard from Ford 3% of the first run (first year build) affected by the wrong gasket recall that's a lot of cars but all have been stood over by Ford. Don't believe everything on the Internet. As I said previously the 2.5 has a terrible rep but loads have never had any issues. so it's not really a good argument for not buying one. Fair enough if you don't like it but they are a good car.

Is the failure rate 3% of all focus cars sold world wide or 3% of the rs models , I suspect ford will massage and downplay the figures in much the same way as Subaru did with the 2.5 ,

I'd buy a current focus quicker than the golf, but the mk2 focus looked Better ,sounded better but was still a compromise in terms of drive train , it should have been 4wd , I know you will argue the ford side but for me , on driving it was not sure footed especially on a damp or greasy road .

I'd also say the current 3% rate of failure is guaranteed to rise as cars fall out of warranty , and also cars that are parked in garages as investments won't ever come to light as having issues ,

I'm looking at this Purley from a bang for buck straight out of the box point of view. And an ex demo one here is about 37k or your can source a few in the UK for around the 20-22k sterling mark. Which in my opinion is incredible value. Sorry lads but this isn't a focus RS competitor, nor was it ever designed to be so let's leave that one alone.

3% of focus rs engines had the issue.
I like the i30n but like I said it's a competitor for the gti / st/ megane rs cupra r not for the 4wd cars

Spot on Dec. You can't compare i30n to superior cars in a different price range. All things being equal, good bang for buck with i30n (well that said, NO car is good bang for buck in Ireland). Nice wee details, lovely sound off it at Runwayclub, sharp enough motor.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Good car, Hyundai were one of the sponsors for runwayclub and had the I30n there, had a spin in it, quick car but not for me, nice sound but a bit bland on the looks front, just my two cents

I might see if I can find an ex demo for sale here and go for a drive. I quite like the looks just the right amount of statement, with out being over the top or as dull as a golf or focus

I don?t get the idea that the golf and focus are dull compared to that i30N....?

Looks as dull if not worse.
If you are looking at spending shy of 40k, I?d buy a golf clubsport.

An absolute animal of a yoke to go! Plus will hold its value way better than that i30.

Just my view on it. Oh or buy a spec c and save loads and go bananas in it! :)

Think the hyundai appeals to me more than golf gti or st purely because you don't see them everyday ,

Think you have good point about the clubsport though , even though vw could be more adventurous with the styling ,

And as for buying a spec c and going nuts , probably the most sensible thing to do , better fun than any of the newer machines , less computers restricting the thing but less to save you when it gets a bit brown pants moment ,

I can feel the golf club sport argument alright. But unless your a car nerd your not going to be able to tell it apart for the regular GTi, and they are like sh*t in a field. The N stands out.

I don't think the N stands out that much. Iv seen online there's a hotter version of the N coming soon that should be interesting. Speaking of the N cars what do ye think of the volester N?

I sell you a good 06 hawk spec c 115klm on the clock fully done . If you drive it and maintain it for it 3 years it wont loose you any money which csnt be said for any of the rest of them .
id pick the focus out of any of them

Back