E5 available in Bray, Wicklow

Lads, sorry to drag this thread kicking & screaming back to its original subject for a minute, but bear with me. :whistle:

I've noticed signs appearing on Maxol pumps saying that they now contain E5. They were there when I filled up at Clarecastle on Sunday night (though it was my girlfriend's Micra that I was driving up to Dublin for her at the time, not my own car), and I spotted similar signs at one of the Limerick Maxol stations that we passed.

So it looks like the stuff is about! (maybe?  :dunno:)

Normal service will now be resumed - So nodge, what was the final score again?  ;)   :lol:

Up the Kingdom!  :nana:

3-13 to 1-9 I believe............don't want to dwell on it though, there's a 3 in a row to concentrate on :)

anyway back to E5...........

Got a tank myself over the weekend, but unfortunately, my EJ20 is about to sh!t itself and the warning light came on, so I can't really comment too much.. :cry: :cry: :angry:

But.. before it did come on, I ran about 20 miles on E5 and noticed more power, better responce and generally a sweeter machine to drive, mine is a UK import though and designed to run on 98 ( remap needed ) so it may have had a better impact than it would on the 95 machines..

Anyway, I would recommend others try it and see how it works for you :thumbsup:

Make sure you note this though, my car has been fcuked for quite a while and the engine light has been on and off for the past few months, E5 DID NOT cause it to come on this time...

I've been using it two weeks now. Car is much sharper on acceleration. Engine sounds smoother as well.

[quote author=kbox link=topic=3913.msg41735#msg41735 date=1192565011]
I've been using it two weeks now. Car is much sharper on acceleration. Engine sounds smoother as well.
[/quote]

Are u using it with/without Lucas? Have u noticed a difference after putting some Lucas in a tank of E5 as against using E5 on its own?

Not using Lucas. Tried Lucas and E5 last week. Only about third of a bottle. Seems to run better without Lucas for some reason. Throttle response is sharper. Engine defo runs smoother with only E5 for some reason

I'm in Ashbourne but work in Navan. The Maxol on the Dublin road has E for the past 2 weeks. Most have it but havent labelled the pumps. They dont even know they have it yet!

[quote author=kbox link=topic=3913.msg41860#msg41860 date=1192611867]Not using Lucas. Tried Lucas and E5 last week. Only about third of a bottle. Seems to run better without Lucas for some reason. Throttle response is sharper. Engine defo runs smoother with only E5 for some reason[/quote]

There was already a bit of a hypothetical discussion about this, and it sounds like you're confirming what was already surmised:

[quote author=greenwagon link=topic=3466.msg38138#msg38138 date=1190565856]The relevant properties of ethanol blends sound rather similar to those of V-Power (though there's not supposed to be any ethanol in the latter, except the 100ron V-Power Racing that's available in some countries) and the contradiction would be a similar one in that the Lucas needs to deposit a film in the engine while the ethanol wants to clean it  :ponder: , as Philip has already said:

[quote author=pbsti link=topic=3466.msg37416#msg37416 date=1190148636]
... you ar wasteing you time useing lucas booster as these over time coat the piston and control the flame ,the ethanol in the fuel will clean your pistons and give cleaner burn
[/quote]
[/quote]

But I see that there's now a new thread about using NF formula octane booster with E5: STi Tuning E5 Testing Carried Out

Here is a question? Is it any worse than using regular 95 in your unmapped Jap import Subaru in the first place because that in itself was always failing to prepare for the breakdown of your engine....... :?

I have used E5 for the first time today, I put a half tank in on top of a tank of 95 so if I dont make it to work 2moro at least I have a decent excuse :thumbsup:

Hello Boss I won't be coming in today because Maxol are a bunch of :angry: who sold me the equivelant of heroin to put in my petrol tank :nana:

[quote author=Twinnie link=topic=3913.msg42487#msg42487 date=1193009896]
Here is a question? Is it any worse than using regular 95 in your unmapped Jap import Subaru in the first place because that in itself was always failing to prepare for the breakdown of your engine.......  :?
[/quote]

No its better.... :thumbsup:

At least thats some clarification for people out there who dont care enough for their engine to get a re-map :D

[quote author=Twinnie link=topic=3913.msg42498#msg42498 date=1193012700]
At least thats some clarification for people out there who dont care enough for their engine to get a re-map  :D
[/quote]

ha ha :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Maxol in Drogheda have E5.
Label on the pump.
Not tried it yet though

Hi guys,

After having 1 tank of E5, a spurt of Techron and on my next tank of E5 now, I can say that my motor does NOT run better on it.

I was thinking (wishing :pray: ) at the start that it may solve all my issues but I've noticed the car runs alot lumpier and is down on power with the E5 :roll: :(

After using the tank of E5, I put some techron in and it seemed to run better, I then put another tank of E5 in and immediatley noticed a difference ( in a bad way )

Mines a UK MY01 STi designed for 98 RON and I thought the E5 would be the sh!t but instead in my engine it was st!t.

A mate of mine with a 200sx has noticed the same lumpyness in his, has anyone here felt their car runs a bit rougher with it?

All the Lucas users seem to be fine wiht it, is there anyone using it who didn;t use Lucas already?

Back