E5 available in Bray, Wicklow

Cill

Middle Lane Hogs
Hi All,

Was in Maxol in Vivey Road Bray on Saturday and I asked the owner about E5, he said that he has had it since mid September. He must not have put the stickers on the pumps!

I was in my mates 200sx at the time and he said thats whats in his car and he noticed a difference after he put the fuel in... not a good difference either.

Going to go get a tank myself as soon as its dry :guinness: , anyone else been filling up in Maxol's recently and not realised its E5??

Hi Cill,

I have been using Maxol exclusively for the past 2 weeks and I can't say I've noticed any improvement at all. None of the Maxol garages knew anything about when they would have E 5 for sale and most of them didn't even know what E5 was :computer:

I'm going to wait until they put up the E5 signs at the pumps before remapping for it. I thought someone on here said it wasn't going to be officially launched until the 10th October. Maybe the launch date is on the Maxol.ie website?

Frawls

Filled up with this in mitchelstown last weekend and I will admit I did think the sti was running a bit better with it in it. To me it did make a difference but saying that I put some in my Focus RS and didnt notice much change. At the time I wasnt sure if I did actually have E5 or not, but the STI was running closely to what it did when I ran it on proper 101ron rally fuel. Unfortunately Mitchelstown is just a bit out of the way for me and as there is no Maxol in Clonmel I will have to do without for now :(

I have heard from a Statoil petrol station owner that they too are talking about bringing out a similar type fuel which would make it more widespread and more obtainable.

Assume the focus is mapped for 95 anyway & think Subaru are about the fussiest for running on low octane fuel so probably expected?
Damo do you think anyone will run the E5 for the next mapping session, will be interesting to see the results?

Well if Damien would like to sponsor me with new FMIC,
and re-map he's more than welcome to use my car :D :D

Niall.

[quote author=STI Brian link=topic=3913.msg40422#msg40422 date=1191870451]
Assume the focus is mapped for 95 anyway & think Subaru are about the fussiest for running on low octane fuel so probably expected?
Damo do you think anyone will run the E5 for the next mapping session, will be interesting to see the results?
[/quote]

Its not looking likely for the next one :(, Until Maxol label it as E5 99.2 ron I wont try it.

Damo

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=3913.msg40514#msg40514 date=1191923981]
Well if Damien would like to sponsor me with new FMIC,
and re-map he's more than welcome to use my car  :D :D

Niall.
[/quote]

LOL Dream on :D

I believe that they are just filling in on top of the old stuff in the tanks so it may take a while for it to get the proper mix, differences might not have been noticed in some of the less used stations around.

Nearly at the end of my tank myself, as soon as it is I'll be filling up.

Regards the sticker, if you can imagine a garage owner, I doubt he really cares about it and may not have received his stickers yet but the guy I talked to said it was in since mid September and that particular garage is always busy so I'd say it is as close to the proper mix as you will get anywhere else.

Has anybody filled up in Bray Maxol yet??

Darragh - is Mitchelstown a busy station??

I filled up with E5 today. Its in the Maxol in Flowerhill in Navan. Car is running the same as 95RON plus Lucas

You should try Mitchelstown yourself Niall, see how it does in your motor, Kbox seems to have an excellent report.

Kbox - any knock? did it have E5 stickers on the pump?

No stickers on the pumps. 95RON is being phased out and replaced with E5 in Maxol. So when the tanks in the garages run low they are being refilled with E5. So 95RON will no longer be available in Maxol after October

[quote author=scoobyke link=topic=3913.msg40633#msg40633 date=1191964520]
Iam still a little confused bout this petrol...can we use it or not...?
[/quote]

im with ye lad!!!!!

I am still a little confused bout this petrol...can we use it or not...?
[/quote]

So far the word from Japan (via New Zealand) seems to be that it is safe to use in any Subaru except STis, twin-turbo Legacies or Jap imports.

[quote author=greenwagon link=topic=3913.msg40655#msg40655 date=1191966828]
I am still a little confused bout this petrol...can we use it or not...?
[/quote]

So far the word from Japan (via New Zealand) seems to be that it is safe to use in any Subaru except STis, twin-turbo Legacies or Jap imports.

[/quote]

sorry have to correct you there..it was Subaru NZ who said that not Subaru Japan..according to your posts anyway..this is going to be the new standard of petrol across the board..statoil are the next to try it..and it will spiral from there...from what your saying 70%-80% of the people on this site wont be able to use it

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=3913.msg40680#msg40680 date=1191971507][quote author=greenwagon link=topic=3913.msg40655#msg40655 date=1191966828][quote author=scoobyke link=topic=3913.msg40633#msg40633 date=1191964520]I am still a little confused bout this petrol...can we use it or not...?[/quote]So far the word from Japan (via New Zealand) seems to be that it is safe to use in any Subaru except STis, twin-turbo Legacies or Jap imports. [/quote]sorry have to correct you there..it was Subaru NZ who said that not Subaru Japan..according to your posts anyway..[/quote]

Certainly the best general information from Subaru that we have at the moment is that news item on Ethanol compatability published on the Subaru NZ website, whilst it is now clear that the material from Australia only relates to model years that Subaru Australia have themselves sold there (hence the STi starts in 1999 and the B4 in 2000), but subsequent data that I've found and posted suggests strongly that the information in the New Zealand article originates with Fuji Heavy Industries/Subaru Japan.

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=3913.msg40680#msg40680 date=1191971507]...from what your saying 70%-80% of the people on this site wont be able to use it[/quote]

No, don't get me wrong - it's not me saying this at all. I'm simply relaying what I have found that Subaru have to say on the subject, in countries which have already introduced ethanol blends, so that people are informed of the official line before they decide whether to rush out and use it or not. Meanwhile, it looks like we're not going to get any clarification from Subaru Ireland, so maybe somebody should try Subaru Japan next? :dunno:

However, it may well be that the latter are being overcautious in suggesting that JDM cars are unsuitable for use with anything above E3 blends, and it looks like the issues with E5/E10 in STis and twin-turbo Legacies are "driveability" ones - so perhaps more to do with engine management systems - that it may (or may not) be possible to overcome? Only I haven't managed to find answers to that - probably because this isn't such a burning question in other countries where ethanol blends have been introduced, as they already had alternative high-ron petrol readily available from the pumps anyway. Judging by the forums, most Subaru drivers in Australia/New Zealand, and in Great Britain seem to be continuing to use regular (unblended) petrol.

Back