Dietary Advice

Hi Rob... sorry to hear your back is so bad again - probably few things worse then a bad back.

Past 7 months have been dire with my back too. Was told need 2nd surgery, but don't want to go down that road again, despite daily pain etc. Eight weeks ago got a Caudal Epidural injection and a month ago started new physio programme locally and going swimming twice a week for an hour and my back has improved massively in just four weeks.

What rehab programme are you trying? I'm always interested in learning about things that could improve my back.

As for diets... not sure if any of them are good for you in the long run. What I mean is if you don't eat balanced and cut out certain things completely you might not get all your body needs and hence create problems down the road. Also, going on a diet for 2-4-6 months whatever is all good and well, but what happens after you hit your target weight?

Kevin's (KMboost) and Seanie's previous posts are spot on I think and their approach has worked for me.

Few years ago I was overweight and lost about 17kgs in about 4 months (personal circumstances rather than a diet)... since then I eat all I want, just less of it and have been lucky enough to be able to maintain my weight for over 4 years now at around 70kgs. Just minding about eating not too many chips and crisps etc and normal sized portions and normal balanced meals.

Good luck with it fella!

[quote author=PatrickBuzzin link=topic=37283.msg481415#msg481415 date=1403566112]
You need to check out Tim Knoakes and his book The Real Meal Revolution. Game changer in regards our nutrition, everyday eating and the shite every nutritionist peddles to us. Also tears apart the nonsense we are being fed everyday with regards our diets and the way we eat. Google Cereal Killers The Movie and have a look at it. Made by an Irish guy called Donal O Neill and it will open your eyes to a lot of stuff. Bottom line with these guys is Don't Fear Fat in your Diet. It's what our bodies are designed to run on.
[/quote]

Cheers man, had a look at it, seems a lot of similar ideas to Atkins?

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=37283.msg481427#msg481427 date=1403598335]
I sympathise with you Rob, I had back problems for a long time, had surgery about 4 weeks ago so just getting back into it now, I'm not going to lift weights again..I find pull ups and dips put no strain on my back, just going to look at bodyweight exercises.

I've never been a fan of diets but this guy strips weight off professional fighters who are all ready lean, and maintains their strength

http://thedolcediet.com/

I found PDF of his diet book on a torrent site
[/quote]

That seems similar to what I've been told to do, lots of body weight exercises to help retrain the nervous system. I'll see can I find the book for a look :thumbsup:

[quote author=Keadeen link=topic=37283.msg481429#msg481429 date=1403600370]
Hi Rob... sorry to hear your back is so bad again - probably few things worse then a bad back.

Past 7 months have been dire with my back too. Was told need 2nd surgery, but don't want to go down that road again, despite daily pain etc. Eight weeks ago got a Caudal Epidural injection and a month ago started new physio programme locally and going swimming twice a week for an hour and my back has improved massively in just four weeks.

What rehab programme are you trying? I'm always interested in learning about things that could improve my back.

As for diets... not sure if any of them are good for you in the long run. What I mean is if you don't eat balanced and cut out certain things completely you might not get all your body needs and hence create problems down the road. Also, going on a diet for 2-4-6 months whatever is all good and well, but what happens after you hit your target weight?

Kevin's (KMboost) and Seanie's previous posts are spot on I think and their approach has worked for me.

Few years ago I was overweight and lost about 17kgs in about 4 months (personal circumstances rather than a diet)... since then I eat all I want, just less of it and have been lucky enough to be able to maintain my weight for over 4 years now at around 70kgs. Just minding about eating not too many chips and crisps etc and normal sized portions and normal balanced meals.

Good luck with it fella!
[/quote]

It's in the sports surgery clinic, there's a physio in there doing a study as part of his PhD and it was just luck that the other physio I was seeing in there said I'd be perfect for it so I jumped at the chance of a long term fix.

I'm not doing a diet as such I want to be able to plan out what I'm gonna do, otherwise I just end up eating shite. Old habits die hard, I'm just annoyed that I slipped back into it again after my back went :icon_hang: .. I was going great, I was down over 4 stone in total and doing my back twice this year so far, along with a honeymoon of excess, I've put about 2 back on again.

i lost 20kg 2yrs ago and i have put 11kg off it back on due to work and new baby just got being able to get out and do my 300+ km cycles per week.
I would also be interested in looking the plan too, i was giving a really good one but you think i can find it :(

Rob i hope you start feeling better soon, i put my back out 2months ago and it was bad and even 2months on its so bloody weak. Even lifting the small fella out of his bed and be painful or say bending over for 2-3mins and i have to get up. Feel like an old man.

I hear you both... It's easy to slip into bad habits alright, especially when the issue isn't in your face at that moment. Past half year or so my back has been bad enough to the point of being bedridden part of Dec, all of Jan and some of Feb and still a daily issue; however when it was ok before that - do you think I would do my physio regime every day, twice a day? NOPE... when your back is not at you it is easy to forget you have a problem, you neglect it... and then you get a cold and cough, or lift something wrong etc... and you're back to square one.

Diets I think are similar...

Best advice I can give anyone with a bad back:
Apart from keeping your weight down and doing targeted physio exercises for your back, the very best thing to do to maintain it and keep your strength up is swimming. You simply cannot beat it for overall fitness and all over body workout to keep your muscles strong to support your back.

Closest pool is 25-30min away from me, but despite that inconvenience now going 2x week as don't want to end up in bed like that again and deffo don't want a 2nd discectomy.

Back