Dietary Advice

Rob Spec C

Octane Boostaholics
Hoping I can get some advice from a few lads here who are into their workouts. Turned the year at an all time high and decided it was time to do something about it. I was getting some advice on foods to eat and avoid etc, and I was recommended to supplement a good diet and workout schedule with protein shakes, multi-vitamins, and omega 3 capsules. I went shopping yesterday and discovered 2 types of protein supplement available, whey and casein.

Obviously I want to strengthen while still losing plenty of weight so which is better for building lean muscle, whey or casein protein? I was recommended Optimum nutrition as a brand saying its been voted number 1 for a few years now but don't know what way to go. What would you expect to pay for a tub of ON?

Also the omega 3 supplements, where do you get them? I was in the local pharmacy and they didn't have any but I went into Tony Quinn's yesterday and they wanted €28 for a medium tub which I thought was outlandishly expensive. Looking for another place to source these things if anyone can oblige?

Try this guy, Robbie, if you're looking for supplies: http://www.facebook.com/healthandfitness.ireland.5
I think delivery is free depending on your purchase.

I used to get protein from him in my gym days and found him great. He's set up a shop in Galway and has just opened two other ones. He's also opening up a new gym at the end of the month. He'll be well able to answer all your questions above on supplements.
:thumbsup:

Vitastore UK for omega 3 and vits. ON is getting to be good quality now. Was complete muck a few years back. Be better buying online much better deals online really

I use a lot of different things while Ironman trainin and i find the Kinetica stuff probably the best...ON and USN are good as well

Get most of my stuff off Iherb free shipping and you will have it in 3 days at a fraction of the cost
Last get fish oil and bits for the kids off them great site

Look this lad up on face book Dominic munnelly he is a friend of mine one of the best trainers in Ireland and a sound lad he will answer any of your questions
There is a link to his site on face book for workouts loads of stuff you can do from home

Just a few things to look out for. 1st I would get your bloods done and see what your lacking or have enough of before you go looking for your vitamins. If you Tweek your diet the only vitamin you cant get is D. Now a very healthy diet will supply your body with most of the vitamins you need. To many people I have delt with in the past just dish out vitamins without any background checks into the individual. Everyone is different.

With regards training, again get yourself assessed with someone who has a good knowledge of functional movement. It's laughable going to gyms and looking at people's techniques. Doing 5 reps with good technique is far more benifical than 500 bad reps. I have had the misfortune of being trained for far to many years by idiots.

I don't know what you have done in the past or what workouts your planning on doing but from what i have learned stay away from road running and crossfit. Road running is terrible for joints and crossfit is not advised by any reputable coach. now the latter does seem to produce some great results but out trainer just laughs when we ask him about it.

I use kinetica Whey protein and I find it the best tasting. Few of the lads on our team ON and they prefer that. Both are pretty good. Fish oils are an essential and in liquid form is the best. I generally buy online from Kinetica or iherb for my fish oils.

When it comes to food again there is some terrible advice out there. Have used 5 different nutritionists and some of the stuff I have heard is brutal. No carbs before training or after, pasta on non training days or an hour before workouts or training, Nothing grown under the ground, no fats whatsoever. Just some of the bad information out there. Guy were working with the last few years is fantastic. Breaks stuff down very simply. One of his best bits of advise when dieting is have a small bit of badness once a week and its stops you binging on junk in one big blowout. Plan you week in 80% good and 20% bad. 1 fist size of meat (protein)to 2 fist size portion of veg and 2 thumbs of fat on your plate. No carbs on non training days. Now this is only specific to me so if you can give a better idea of what your doing it would be easier help. I'm no where near an expert but the guy that looks after us is worldclass and our nutritionist I find very good.

Anything else I can help with just ask. And good luck

[quote author=PatrickBuzzin link=topic=37283.msg427123#msg427123 date=1362967248]
One of his best bits of advise when dieting is have a small bit of badness once a week[/quote]

This is what I told you :thumbsup:

ON Double Rich Chocolate is well tasty...although Caramel Toffee Fudge sounds nice too :icon_grin:

Theres also a supplement shop in The Square in Tallaght will price match any online price, just bring in a copy of the offer & if they have it they'll match it.

I use HpNutrition to order my stuff and also Monster Supplements when I'm over in the UK. PhD Diet Whey is voted the best diet whey protein. Things like green tea and CLA capsules will also aid in weight loss. The trick with weight loss is actually to eat every 2 to 3 hours. A lot of people trying to lose weight cant get their heads around this. But the key is to eat the right stuff. This keeps the bodies natural "thermogenics" going, essentially your internal furnace, to keep your body burning fat. You need to stay in a calorie deficit in order for your body to turn to burning the fat for energy. Plenty of water too, about 3 litres a day.

As regards training. A combination of weights and HIIT (high intensity interval training) cardio is best. You will burn more calories lifting weights than you will doing cardio. Building muscle will help you to burn more fat because the more muscle you have the more that muscle will use your excess fat to supply it with energy.

To cover your Omega 3 6 and 9 order some Udos Oil. Tablespoon a day in your cereal is enough.

Casein protein is a slower release protein and mainly taken last thing at night before bed to keep your body supplied with protein while you sleep. It can be quite heavy on the stomach (it turns into a thick "gel" hence the slow release) so you may not like taking it. I don't since I leaves me feeling uncomfortable during the night.

I also take a ZMA supplement just before bed to aid in sleep and recovery.

Oh and stay away from Tony Quinn......his stuff is useless and a complete rip off.

Cheers for the advice lads :thumbsup:

I was actually told by my trainer fella that to optimise my weight loss, I should be eating about 3000 calories a day which I still don't believe :cuckoo:

Common misconception with that Robbie. Most people looking for weight loss don't actually eat enough LoL

By not eating or starving yourself you are telling your body to store fat for energy. Counter productive.

@PatrickBuzzin I dont use CLA. I'm working on bulking up but its a common ingredient in most weight loss supplements. Try getting a flavoured Green Tea. For example with Lemon. The Lemon helps to regulate blood sugar thereby keeping those cravings at bay. Or you could add a half teaspoon of honey to sweeten it.

Cheers Andy :thumbsup:

So my current list of supplements required is:

Whey protein
Multivitamin
Omega 3
Probiotics (course every few months)
CLA

Fook me, I'll be like a junkie :multijump:

[quote author=Rob Spec C link=topic=37283.msg427202#msg427202 date=1363035278]
Cheers for the advice lads :thumbsup:

I was actually told by my trainer fella that to optimise my weight loss, I should be eating about 3000 calories a day which I still don't believe :cuckoo:
[/quote]

He is right in a way Robby

3000 calories of McDonald's is not going to give you weight loss or any energy but you need plenty of the right food to give you the energy to train to burn the fat off.
Have you got something you are training for or is it just for weight loss?

3000 calories a day is an awful lot but then again it depends on the size and your weight to begin with.

I always use discountsupplements.ie use code fb5 for 5% off every order, you stack up your points and can eventually take off 20 euro off an order, Been using them for years.

If you would like me to meet up with you to discuss a food plan I would be more than happy to do it. I have been training in the gym for about 10 years and currently in my 4th year of a Food science/Nutrition degree in UCD.
I have helped alot of people with their weight, training and daily food intake over the years so I would be glad to help you :thumbsup:

Pm me your number/email if you would like to organise something as I cant send pm's due to not been a paid member anymore. This offer goes for anyone looking for advice about diet with regards to lifestyle weither you want to bulk, build lean muscle or cut weight.

As for your previous question ON gold standard is about 30 euro for 900g i think, 50 euro for 2.28kg or around 100 for 4.5kg

This club has been very good for me in the past so its my way of giving back to the club :subaru: but bear in mind I wouldnt have the most free time at the moment with my thesis due and other college work

Cheers lads, no goal as of yet Johnny, only thing I wanted to do is strengthen up and lose plenty of weight. I could spout on about a triathlon or something but I need to get to a reasonable weight before I could even consider something like that :icon_lol:

Thanks for the offer Chris but I'm alright for the moment :thumbsup: .. I'll keep plodding away the way I'm going an see what happens :smile:

Back