Clampdown on Modified exhausts

AFAIK the noise limit in the UK is 98 db which is fairly loud. The most popular Scooby Sport back box (the 4 inch round rolled tipped one) is 98 db and it is more than plenty loud!

Frawls

no VRT!!!! . . . . . . excluding Sligo folk :D not like they vote anyway :p

@ FRAWLS
chances are that will be the case hear then!! :pray:
Any body know what the db rating of a nur spec system is?? :lol:
Dan

This is a load of rubbish...

Frawls.. I hope you'll be pulling a Johnny Cochran on the govenment when this comes up!!

Use the Chewbacha defence!! :thumbsup:

Lads,

"Boy racers have until next July to get rid of modified exhaust pipes on their cars, under an EU directive on noise pollution.".  So the government are willing to clamp down and inforce EU Directives.  So if they going to inforce EU Directives, howcome government still get away with charging VRT (Another name for vehicle import tax).  Surely the EU should see this as an illegal tax on the Irish public and do something about it....??  Surely this "Government Cash Cow" is illegal in the eyes of the EU LAW...??  If they want me to change my exhaust, they can take money out of the cow and pay for it themselves.  :angry:  :angry:

I'm not sure if you've noticed over the past few months - "We going to increase this, we going to increase that, tax this, tax that".  We pay enough TAX as it is.  The only country which pays higher tax in Europe is Denmark.  +-10 years ago, Ireland was the lowest tax paying country in Europe.

Greedy Gits.

-----Nevermind me, I'm having a bad day. :wall: I need to go for a nice long drive in my illegal exhaust, noise polluting Scooby.

I hope they're going to make an exemption for the WRC in November, The National Rally championship, all track days at Mondello & the DRL drifting series in Rosegreen.

TBH I think its another one of those vote getters that might sound reasonable to non petrol heads but in reality is complete toss. I'd love to get a DB reading on your average 4hp lawnmower. I'll bet its more than 98db. If there's an EU directive on this then it should set out in detail exactly what is banned. I'll have a look for it and report back.

Frawls

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=3532.msg35653#msg35653 date=1189120652]
@ FRAWLS
chances are that will be the case hear then!! :pray:
Any body know what the db rating of a nur spec system is?? :lol:
Dan
[/quote]
Nur spec R is 96db with the bung inserted and 105db without...suppose u could add a few db more for one connected to a de-cat downpipe.

Right! I've spent ages looking up the EU Legislation governing Noise Pollution and basically its up to each Member State to introduce legislation to ensure EU wide noise limits are followed and enforced. Actually there are a lot of directives covering all sorts of machinery from Lawn Movers to aeroplanes and motorcycles. The Directive which concerns motor vehicles was first introduced in 1970 and has been amended several times since. It looks like the maximum average limit is only around 86 db which is quite low. The Irish Government has until next year to introduce legislation to transpose the directive into Irish Law.

Like everything else its the enforcement of the new legislation which will prove most difficult. I wouldn't be too worried about it just yet. One other thing I came across during my research was that air filters which form part of the induction system are also subject to strict engine noise (as opposed to exhaust) limits so, while its fairly improbable, its actuallyl possible for loud Induction kits to be the subject of garda scrutiny also.

Looks like we'll all end up driving mute electric cars yet :lol:

Frawls

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=3532.msg36271#msg36271 date=1189478093]
but are nur specs any good? I dont see the point in loads of noise if its doing nothing
[/quote]

it has freed up .7 bar on my car compared to the hks 3" i had on before the nur sec r,
it was 1.19 now its 1.26 bar

my stereo pumps out 116db. I'll just whack it up full when I'm driving. That way my exhaust wont be heard!

Back