cb radio and antenna

also i think keeping the set as simple as posible is a good idea. the simpler they are the easier they can be opperated on the move. a lot of the radios on the market have a lot of unnecescery bells and whistles which ye probably wnt use anyway. the standard radios are usually smaller and neater also.

Bear in mind that in convoy at Japfest last year there were stragglers that were nearly a mile back the road so would be important to have aerials that travel at least that far.

Stick me down for one anyway too.

just an update, ive sent off a few mails to some companys in the uk, however i do plan to approach some traders in this country but from experience over many years the prices will be way to high. the only valid reason for buying in this country is the warrenty, but it runs out after a year anyway. ive asked them to put together a few packages of cb and antennas and ill post up pics of the options and the purchase will be based on your opinions

[quote author=northdublin link=topic=14751.msg182997#msg182997 date=1241212113]
just an update, ive sent off a few mails to some companys in the uk, however i do plan to approach some traders in this country but from experience over many years the prices will be way to high. the only valid reason for buying in this country is the warrenty, but it runs out after a year anyway. ive asked them to put together a few packages of cb and antennas and ill post up pics of the options and the purchase will be based on your opinions
[/quote]

:multijump: cant believe how excited I am feeling about this........ :ponder2: :roll:

ive spent a while now looking at various radio and antenna combinations. the radio out of dozens ive looked at that fits the bill in my opinion is the tti 550. its compact, has am/fm and the ability to switch over to the uk band which would be usefull for the likes of japfest. its easy to use and doesnt have any unesecery features that a lot of cbs have which are never used.
in relation to the antenna, again out of dozens the atom stands out. ive had this antennas big version in the past called the modulator and talked all over ireland and the world, this is a scaled down version which should make it a bit more descrete without loosing out on performance.
ive attached pics of the above and the pic of the antenna is the big version(modulator) the black part know as the coil is about 1/3 the size on the atom and stands about a metre high and screws into a magnetic base. this means the base can be left on the boot lid while you unscrew the antenna and pop it in the boot.
im waiting on confirmation of price and will post them up when get them. fi anyone who is interested or has put there name forward has any questions please ask. if anyone has any general questions about cb or radio comms start a topic in the off topic section for the benefit of keeping this thread on topic.

tti550.jpg

modulator.jpg

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=14751.msg183263#msg183263 date=1241372513]
ah shite, cant give karma any more!!
[/quote]

I will do it for ya lad :thumbsup:

[quote author=finnmcool link=topic=14751.msg183277#msg183277 date=1241376820]
[quote author=nicknack link=topic=14751.msg183263#msg183263 date=1241372513]
ah shite, cant give karma any more!!
[/quote]

I will do it for ya lad :thumbsup:
[/quote]

lol, karma to you too if i could!!

Sounds good Mick, I'd be interested myself even though i'm not going to Japfest.

I like the model your looking at but maybe more channels would be an idea :dontknow:

So put my name down.

Maybe its time to start a list

The List of people who want in on the group buy:

1. Nicknack
2. Keith Dublin
3. Markobucko
4. STI Brian :dontknow:
5. Pete
6. Finnmcool
7. Scoobymaniac

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=14751.msg183503#msg183503 date=1241469026]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. lists :geek: :geek:
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: so true, we love our lists :geek:

Ah sure, ya cant go wrong with a good list and a nice cupa tae! :lol:

thanks for the list.........with respect to channels, all cbs have 40 channels unless modified to move onto other frequencies. our laws here in relation to cbs say they have to transmit no more then 4 watts and on the specific frequencies between 26.965 and 27.405. this law is not really enforced unless your interfeering with a licenced broadcaster.
when you see a cb advertised with more then 40 channels its either a 10 meter radio...ie and ammateur radio for which you need a licence or the other channels are simply another set of 40 ch suited to another country. for example the cb i have pictured has 80 or more channels but they are in blocks of 40 and each block is suited to the country your in.
its kinda like the differance between jdm car stereos and our car stereos. they both do the same job but pick up differant sections of the radio spectrum, except in this case with a cb you can switch between the two bands without the need for a band expander. hope this makes sense :comp26:

I might be interested when you get an idea of costs, see how the finances are then! :thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing that up Mick, that makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

Now back to the list:

I'll stick you in as a maybe Mark :thumbsup:

1. Nicknack
2. Keith Dublin
3. Markobucko
4. STI Brian :dontknow:
5. Pete
6. Finnmcool
7. Scoobymaniac
8. Mark Cahill (Maybe :dontknow:)

I'm a :thumbsup: not a :dontknow: