Bio ethanol and unleaded mix

@johnny5, lucas averaged just shy of 98ron while being run on 20 cars being mapped NOT 97 ron. why not just get your cars mapped to half a bottle of lucas and see the difference that way. i did and i can tell you it was the best money spent by far on the wrx. highest knock reading was 13, boosts to 1.2 bar peak and holds to 1.1 to red line and thats running a small td04 turbo. but thats just my opinion on the matter, and if i had the money to experiment on other fuel additives without feeling to bad about the risk , like i said i'd rather spend it on a remap. cheers

I could understand going to all this trouble / effort for a race car that is used at events etc or getting your hands on methanol but surely this has to take alot of enjoyment out of everyday subaru ownership esp if its a road car ? Im intrested in the fuels and results but where getting to the stage of setting up a labatory in the shed and mixing fuels.

Well for me it more of going to one of the nearest petrol stations putting in 5 euros of one fuel and twenty of another. For me to get a remap will cost about 850 euro. Lucas might be ok but its more hassle to go and get than just filling my car up as normal which is no hassle at all inless it destroys my car and then you can say i told you so i guess.

Is that per bottle or half bottleof Lucas?

I've ran my car since Fri now with the mix and its still running ok. The mix I'm using is bringing me to 97RON so I might add Lucas to a full tank of the mix. This will bring me to nearly 100RON. Once I've driven on it a bit I might reset the ECU and see what happens

[quote author=johnny5 link=topic=2931.msg28207#msg28207 date=1184610152]
just shy of 98 means 97.something NOT 98
[/quote]

well it means higher than 97.0 as you suggested mate

i didnt suggest 97.0,i suggest 97.which includs 97.00 up to 97.99. NOT JUST SHY OF 98 WHICH CANT BE 98,AS 98 ONLY INCLUDES 98.00 TO 98.99.MATE!

[quote author=johnny5 link=topic=2931.msg28273#msg28273 date=1184623447]
i didnt suggest 97.0,i suggest 97.which includs 97.00 up to 97.99. NOT JUST SHY OF 98 WHICH CANT BE 98,AS 98 ONLY INCLUDES 98.00 TO 98.99.MATE!
[/quote]

as i first stated the 20 cars AVEREGED 98ron, which from what i have read on some motoring sites it depends on what garage you get your petrol from as it you could be filling up on less than 95ron,and the original point still being why not get the car mapped for 95 petrol and lucas to take it to 98 instead of messing about with different fuels to try and get to that level . and if you can afford to risk blowing your engine you can afford a remap. now end of. :D

@jackswagon - if you read linked pages you'll see that the risk of blowing engine is minimal (or rather no risk), especially with max 30% blend of ethanol.
You want to feel safer? Use max 20% - good enough to get about 97-98RON (as usual can depend on quality of petrol)

And why? to take an advantage. That's why. The same way I could ask, why you want to drive Turbo Impreza, when actually you could go to work/shops/wherever by let's say 1l Nissan Micra, avoiding problems with fuel etc. :)

Of course there are some issues we have to keep in mind - but that's also why I use max 30% not E85, as my car is not converted to use E85.

As I said before - nobody's forced to do that. I only wanted to show people an option, since you can get E85 on some stations.
If you feel not sure - ask your tuner, let's say get half a tank of a mix and make some tests with sensors etc. Then you will believe, or not.

Anyway, alcohol as a fuel is really nothing new.

Cheers

look fair enough you want to get your ron rating up as high as possible?, well i think i went about it by getting my car mapped for as high as i could get to by means of a safer way i think, tried and tested.if people want to experiment with there cars well thats up to them, as pointed out earlier , i bought my car to drive for every day use and for the huge smile i get from driving it .not going to say another thing about it and dont want to offend anyone on here either (johnny 5),

cheers james.

hi jack, your not offending me by saying anything,the hole point of this site is to help people with problems with there subarus,i actually agree with you on the mapping front, for 95 plus octane booster,infact im gettin my car car done in 2 or 3 weeks and it probably at the moment the only way to run your car safely.
but what i was going on about was,you said jap cars are set up for 104 octane,which there not, there 101octane ,and you said lucas octane booster would bring up fuel rating to 98.so i was just wondering where you got this information from as i was told otherwise.
when you mapped your car ,did the mapper tell you what octane level showed up or was he able to?

@johnny
i done a lot of searches on lucas booster before i went and got it, as you can probaly tell by my previous posts i am not into putting just anything into a car i dreamed about getting for years, street performance is one of the places that has some info on it along with a lot of other places that i googled, the mapper had a bit of trouble with mapping my car for a while due to a faulty lambda sensor so i dont think he wanted to talk to me very much apart from saying to himself the words INTERESTING a lot :lol:, can you tell me who told you otherwise that its not up at 98ron, i had meant to say 102 ron which was also a mistake in my earlier post so thanks for correcting me there , and best of luck with the mapping day . if its your first wait till you see the difference in the car and the knowing you can let it on without the worrys,
cheers mate, james

MMM.. Intresting and then a long silence :lol:

Jap cars are 102 ron petrol IIRC. Except the earlier cars Ver 1 or 2 because 102 ron petrol only came out in Japan for the Ver 3 on I think it was. The early cars still suffer from DET but SOME dont seem to be as bad as the later ones. On the majority of cars it worked out at 98ron which you would think is to good to be true. The car that was a fraction under 98 was mine, when Andy mapped it the second time I had a certain type of induction kit on it which happend to weaken the mixture slightly before Andy added more fuel to allow for it.

Damo

To be honest I rather expected discussion about the ethanol and how could we use it (safely) to get more power from our Imprezas, not
discussion about "why can't you use Lucas like the other do?".
I know that ethanol, as any other solution, has advantages and disadvantages - the idea was to discuss it and how we can use ethanol
as octane booster (which actually it is), in what blends to keep it safe etc. Maybe also with addition of other octane boosters like Lucas, Millers etc.
Anyway I keep going with this.

Cheers

Fair play rude boy IMO your ponieering something new and should be given credit for it..i agree with what your doing..it could be a new solution for turbo'd cars..i just havenae got the balls to try it myself!

Ive just done about 125Kms with about 20% ethanol. Not any problems, passed the emmisions part of the nct yesterday though i only had to do the idle bit. Im going to put 40L petrol 10L E85 tonight, maybe half a bottle of lucas too, any thoughts on this?

[quote author=rowanh link=topic=2931.msg28491#msg28491 date=1184757481]
Ive just done about 125Kms with about 20% ethanol. Not any problems, passed the emmisions part of the nct yesterday though i only had to do the idle bit. Im going to put 40L petrol 10L E85 tonight, maybe half a bottle of lucas too, any thoughts on this?
[/quote]

What are you working it out at again without Lucas ?

After huge webcrowling I think that if you want to use ethanol as octane booster (no converion to E85) it probably makes no sense to
put more than 20% of ethanol into your tank.
It's specific to ethanol (methanol too, afair) that added in small blends to petrol it acts as it had much bigger octane number (something about 118RON - but need to be careful about the mess with different octane numbers used in different countries and webpages). later it's value as octane booster is going lower (to about 104RON of E85).
I think you can try to mix that with lucas - some people use petrol with 10% of ethanol and bottle of octane booster on top of petrol - try google with scottimax. However scottimax is based on Optimax fuel, which afair has 98RON and is available in UK?
You can also browse http://bbs.22b.com/ with search on ethanol, methanol etc. to find interesting information.

And of course still be careful and be aware of one thing - ethanol delievers additional oxygene to your engine, to much of it will change AFR too much. It could be great to have wideband lambda sensor to make some tests.
So make your tests if you like, but still remember what one on NASIOC forum said - ethanol is great, but not idiotproof ;)
Think what you do :)

Cheers

[quote author=RudeBoy link=topic=2931.msg28481#msg28481 date=1184751316]
To be honest I rather expected discussion about the ethanol and how could we use it (safely) to get more power from our Imprezas, not
discussion about "why can't you use Lucas like the other do?".
I know that ethanol, as any other solution, has advantages and disadvantages - the idea was to discuss it and how we can use ethanol
as octane booster (which actually it is), in what blends to keep it safe etc. Maybe also with addition of other octane boosters like Lucas, Millers etc.
Anyway I keep going with this.

Cheers

[/quote] it was;nt about telling you to use lucas , for me its about making the car as safe as possible with as much power as i can get from whats available right now, who knows we might be useing rudeboy blend octane booster from the shelves pretty shortly, cheers :thumbsup:

Back