2020 Toyota GR Yaris detailed - plus our prototype drive

Something that interests me about this car is the diff settings.

Developed in hand with Tommy Mak, from an Evo background of Tarmac, Gravel or Snow on the diff settings to what was fairly ambiguous with Subaru on the variance of DCCD.

This Yaris for track is set 50:50, yet we've been told 50:50 will destroy a center diff on a Subaru? Why? Will it?

When I went to Rally School Ireland and took the STI out, they have the diffs locked to 50:50 and the instructor told me all she'll do is lock up and steer like a pig if I try accelerate mid corner. Will it?

Something that interests me about this car is the diff settings.

Developed in hand with Tommy Mak, from an Evo background of Tarmac, Gravel or Snow on the diff settings to what was fairly ambiguous with Subaru on the variance of DCCD.

This Yaris for track is set 50:50, yet we've been told 50:50 will destroy a center diff on a Subaru? Why? Will it?

When I went to Rally School Ireland and took the STI out, they have the diffs locked to 50:50 and the instructor told me all she'll do is lock up and steer like a pig if I try accelerate mid corner. Will it?
Fairly sure the wrx is 50/50 split to John

Fairly sure the wrx is 50/50 split to John
That's my curiosity.

While not in that community, I've never heard of an Evo diff giving out. Maybe there's a difference between flat 4 and in line 4 cylinder?

The Evo AYC is electronic, so handy enough let the centre diff distribute front and rear and then electrics choose left or right?

My SpecC front and rear diffs. How do they work? Mechanical Helical LSD's couple with electronics? Especially when DCCD is set to manual and full lock or full rear?

yaris beats celica wow , what a waiste of a video.
celica gt4 is prob the most boring 90s wrc type car you could buy , and they look crap

That's my curiosity.

While not in that community, I've never heard of an Evo diff giving out. Maybe there's a difference between flat 4 and in line 4 cylinder?

The Evo AYC is electronic, so handy enough let the centre diff distribute front and rear and then electrics choose left or right?

My SpecC front and rear diffs. How do they work? Mechanical Helical LSD's couple with electronics? Especially when DCCD is set to manual and full lock or full rear?
evo rear diffs do give trouble in some models

That's my curiosity.

here's a small video explaining it by subaru I had seen a good one a while back but can't find it

here's a small video explaining it by subaru I had seen a good one a while back but can't find it

any use ?

Subaru currently has four different AWD systems:

1. Viscous Coupling Center Differential AWD
2. Active Torque Split AWD
3. Variable Torque Distribution AWD
4. Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) AWD

Descriptions Below From The Following Link:

1. Viscous Coupling Center Differential AWD

"This system is used for all models equipped with manual transmissions, excluding the WRX STI. It delivers the sporty satisfaction of quick shifts combined with an AWD system that makes the most of the available traction at all times.

This system also features an efficient layout with a viscous-coupling limited slip centre differential that maintains a 50/50 front/rear torque split for optimum torque distribution, near neutral handling and surefooted performance."

2. Active Torque Split AWD

"This system employs a multi-plate transfer clutch that maintains a 60/40 front/rear torque split and uses a range of sensors to automatically adjust this split on-the-fly as conditions warrant, creating more predictable handling.

The system that's linked to all Subaru models (excluding WRX) equipped with the Lineartronic® Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), the Active Torque Split AWD places the focus on ease of operation, fuel efficiency and reliability."

3. Variable Torque Distribution AWD

"Linked to the Sport Lineartronic® CVT and exclusive to the WRX, this AWD system delivers sportier performance and superior efficiency all at once.

The centre differential adjusts front/rear torque split from 45/55 in normal conditions (for a sportier rear-biased feel) up to 50/50 when the weather worsens or the road conditions deteriorate (for maximum traction).

The viscous self-locking rear differential maintains stability when more torque is sent to the rear wheels, ensuring the perfect balance of control and fun."

4. Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) AWD

"As it's a purebred high-performance car, it follows that the Subaru WRX STI would feature the ultimate in high-performance AWD systems.

The DCCD allows the driver to adjust the centre differential locking (through one manual and three automatic modes), varying the torque split from 41/59 front/rear to 50/50 to suit the mood and the conditions.

The AWD system also includes a helical-type front differential and a TORSEN® rear differential, creating a triple-differential set-up that is completely unique in the industry."

Gearing looks very short and Always between 2nd-3rd with them type of roads and bouncing off the limiter . Its a full time job changing gears driving like that . And That's the problem with the 3 cylinder no rev band everything's at the top between 6-7k revs so you've only 1000 to play with
Looking at that video it really needs paddle shift gears to be able to keep your hands on the wheel .

Hoping it's much better in realty on normal back roads so will wait and see 👍👍

Looks like great craic , yeah first gear could be a bit longer there for the handbrake turns but I’d say most cars would be hopping off the limiter on a wet road in 1st gear.
I’d say as you get more used to the car you could stay off the limiter.

It’s seems to have plenty of poke anyway , I’d love one .
They run 1.4 bar boost from factory apparently and some have been dynod 20hp above Toyotas figures

I think if in the market you’d have to get the circuit pack , what you think?
Have to be all or nothing, donegal man that be's on here, mighy have got one of the donegal ones, had one on a garage plate at Christmas 🤔🤔, will wait and see 👀

You may aswell add another 2% to the price, because by the time they land and the deal is actually done, the VAT rate will be back at 23%. I doubt any dealer is going to take the hit on it.

I think if in the market you’d have to get the circuit pack , what you think?
both get good reviews but if you didnt spring for the circuit pack I'd say toy might have a question mark that you're missing out on something

in real world driving probably very little noticeable difference, track driving would be different story though

Back