US Subie relocating to Dublin.....!?!?

Jaysus! That's a lot of hassle to go through!
I would just sell up over there and buy over here!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4012.msg42420#msg42420 date=1192981307]
Jaysus! That's a lot of hassle to go through!
I would just sell up over there and buy over here![/quote]
Dan,

'Twould be a lot easier, but expensive. It's already been mentioned that a similar car would cost him 20k more here!

Lovely car and colour.
I want one.

Anybody know where to get car undersealed around north county Dublin area?
Wouldn't mind gettin mine done for piece of mind because my better half has a 97 Civic Import which is in the country at least 5 years and i was doin some work on it and noticed quite bad corrosion underneath.

any panel beater. its not expensive to do if there is not much corrosion there in the first place

Thanks again for all the detailed responses....I appreciate all the great info.

I am still planning on moving to Dublin in late January, and will worry my car after I arrive.  Perhaps I may in fact just leave my STI Limited here in the US initially, there's no rush.  I can always store it for a few years if necessary, it own it outright.

Regards,
Sean

I wouldnt bring it over here.
driving on the wrong side will kill you..standard of driving over here is terrible...you can drive over here without even sitting atest..plus pulling out of blind junctions... Your in for a shock with some of our roads!!
..leave your car there or sell it..wouldnt worry about picking up a 1-2 year old scoob..you could get a 99 Type r for 13k euro..you will be seriously impressed..some are like new..and they are quicker than the new age impreza's..you could also buy a skyline GTR(runs for cover!!) something you couldnt own in the states...ireland is probably the best place in the world outside new zealand for Jap imports and one of the worst for driving!

Going to buy a STI in Ireland (or UK)

Well lads I've taken all your advice, and I'm selling my STI Limited before I move to Dublin. With the turbo back exhaust and pro-tune, she's makes 283whp and over 300ft lbs to the ground. I'm going to miss the power, acceleration, and handling---this car had it all!

226089.jpg

She's only got 7800 miles on the ODO, so it's in pristine condition. I have a deposit coming in tomorrow and the buyer is flying in from Canada of all places to take delivery on April 1. I won't tell you how little I'm getting relative to what a STI costs in Ireland, but I am getting top dollar here in the States and it's only 10% less than what it cost new, so it held it's value well over 18 months.

I'm arriving in Dublin on or around May 15. I'm either going to buy another Subie or a BMW. I notice there are lots more Subies for sale in the UK, and even I found a few very nice STI type Ds, which are very similar to my type US Limited (no wing, black leather interior). Have any of you bought a UK car and brought it into Ireland? The VRT calculator still shows around 15 grand for a 2007 or 2006 STI from the UK which is outrageous.

Also, do I need to have an Irish driver's licence in order to buy and insure a car????

Thanks again for all your help. I'm going to be living in Ballsbridge. First round of pints are on me! :cheers:

Regards,
Sean :guinness:

Ya VRT is a C**t look in the for sale part of the site first. Some bargins in there. The Jap imports have destroyed the market. I have one myself. Its a buyers market :D

hello, if it was my car and i wanted to bring it to the US.
id consider converting it to LHD, but thats just me.
if your getting it converted to RHD, id do it over in the US, could be a lot cheaper.
how much is the vrt on it to bring it over here.

There would be no VRT to bring my STI into Ireland b/c I have owned it for 1.5 years. I haven't considered converting the car to RHD due to the amount of work required. Surely this can't be cheap. And who could I trust to do the work? I would hate to see the car butchered! I'm not sure how much it would cost nor even where to start the search. So I think it's just not an option at this point. I am getting fairly close to what I paid so my investment has been good.

And to your point, I would say there would be no reason whatsoever to convert a RHD Subie to LHD to bring to the States. You could simply sell your car, and with the currency rates being what they are, you could buy ANY STI you wanted even a new 2008 ($40K USD) and have money left over!!! Unfortunately the dollar is at an all time low and I'm converting to euros. Plus the $@#@ VRT!!!

I certainly can't figure out the Irish Subie market! There are very few 2006-2007 used STIs for sale, and what I realiy don't get is why a used STI costs 60K euros when a used BMW M3 costs about the same or less.

On the other hand, I like the STI type UK spec D car, but I did the math, 22K sterling for an 2006 (~28K yoyos) plus 15K VRT and we're talking about a 45K euros. Is that a good value?? Is it a hassle to import a UK car? If bought a UK car and drove it back via ferry, will I have a rough go at the border?

Thanks.
Sean

Thanks for the link to that beautiful Spec C, what an amazing car. I'm looking for a more subtle Subie though, more like my US Spec Limited, small wing, all black interior, muted color like grey/silver. Something that I can drive every day without attracting too much unwanted attention. That's why the UK spec D is so appealing.

I'm budgeting around 40K for a car...

Thanks and happy St. Paddy's Day. My wife tells me the weather in Dublin today was just brilliant!

-Sean

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for....'06 or '07. I prefer the '07s taller gears, but I'm comparing the US 2006 to my 2007.

Does UK Subaru factory warranty carry over into Ireland?

Back