US Subie relocating to Dublin.....!?!?

didnt mean to scare you about the salt  :thumbsup: it really isnt that bad, i was just amazed at how clean your car is. dans post about wrong hand drive is true and very accurate. our "B" roads are little more that the width of 2 trucks and wrong hand drive would be very frustrating if your on a spirited drive. also consider the value of lhd over hare when you find out just how frustrating it really is.i can also bring you on a guided tour of the leipracaun fields, its not cheap  :D but will be worth every penny

:subaru:   :thumbsup:

I understand your points about LHD in your RHD world.

I'm in a real dilemma b/c my STI Limited is a $36K car here in the States, which converts to approx. 25,324.35 EUR. How much do 1-2 year old STIs go for in ROI? Based on my research thus far, STIs cost a whole lot more in Europe than they do here.

Which begs the question, would my car have a similar value on the LHD Continent?

Thanks everyone.

Hey STI Ltd Type US,
Good point a 2005 STI would set you back €45k aprox here
not too sure about mainland Europe :dunno: :dunno:

Niall.

welcome along buddy..!!

yeah there's good and bad here but sure you'll get that everywhere you go, what you save in one thing you'll pay double for on the other.!! i'm hoping to sell my luvly b4 legacy after christmas and move to philly with my girl so if you wanna organise a wee swap..!!??!!!!!! :lol:

insurance is quite dear here, especially on imprezza's. depends on your age and how long you've been driving, there is a good place called first ireland risk management 00353 1 6246100. these usualyy do a good deal, they dont hammer you for offences you havent committed yet..!!

i'd get it fully services aswell before you bring it over here.!! might be cheaper in the states..!

other than that, sweet motor bud, enjoy and sure hopefully we'll all meet you at the next scooby gathering..!!

slan

papa smurf

:subaru:

Once you import the car , as far as I know you can't sell it for a year, otherwise you will have to pay Vehicle Registration Tax.

[quote author=STI Ltd Type US link=topic=4012.msg41566#msg41566 date=1192492309]The car runs well and makes good power (no detonation, 10.8:1 AFR) and is set up to run on crappy 91 octane California gas. Can I assume that your petrol is better than the junk they sell here in the Republic of Kalifornia?[/quote]

'Fraid not, in fact our standard 95 ron (which you'll see so many complaints about on this forum) is more or less the equivalent of your 91 octane, though we are now starting to get an E5 blend that's 99 ron (which there are several threads about here) that hasn't even been officially launched yet.

The octane number used in the US and Canada is an average of the RON and MON figures, so usually 4-5 units lower than the RON.

Regarding LHD v RHD
I personally would be happier with a car that is a year or two older than a car that I couldn't enjoy driving swiftly and safely on our small tight roads!!!
Bare in mind that if you spand 25K ( the sale price of your car) on a scooby over here next year it may be worth 20 - 21K!!
If you bring your car over, next year it'll be worth maybe 10K ( just guessing) and she'd be a bitch to sell, It would break your heart letting her go for less than she's worth!
So I'd sell your car over there to someone who'll appreciate her and pay a fair price for her, and then buy or import one from japan over here (even if it is a year or two older) It's all relative!
Best of luck man
Dan!

Hello US Subie (Scooby) & Welcome to the site  :subaru:

I spent 11 months in San Fan. As with the rest of the US the cars are very cheap to buy :thumbsup:

As the lads said you may have problems with a US spec Subaru in Ireland, my advise to you is to sell her prior to coming to Ireland. Buy a JDM model and bring to Ireland as your car is suited to USA & Californian emissions (hence de-rated to suit)  :wall:

You should check out what the implications are in bringing in a JDM model with you, when you arrive in Ireland  :thumbsup:

As some of the lads said, Ireland is expensive in so many ways, but you should really like the laid back attitude, which IMO is worth it  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

Can you import from japan to were you are in the states??
If you own a car in a differnt country then tou don't have to pay our import tax(vrt) @ 30% the value of the car!!!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=4012.msg42346#msg42346 date=1192929150]
Can you import from japan to were you are in the states??
If you own a car in a differnt country then tou don't have to pay our import tax(vrt) @ 30% the value of the car!!!
Dan
[/quote]

Hello Dan,

In short I do not Know what the implications are. But the VRO may not know either.... :dunno:

If you bought the car into Ireland via the US, you may be able to escape VRT & happy days.... as above a Californian (US spec Scooby is not going to be impressive in Ireland with the amount of de-rating in spec to meet the emissions testing etc). Although the car will be cheap it, it will not be set up for JDM / Europe spec :wall:

Check out importing a JDM spec car first :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Michael

[quote author=Michael Spec C link=topic=4012.msg42348#msg42348 date=1192929689][quote author=forester sti link=topic=4012.msg42346#msg42346 date=1192929150]
Can you import from japan to were you are in the states??[/quote]Check out importing a JDM spec car first :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Importing a JDM car into the US can be very problematic and expensive, see http://www.j-garage.com/sale/usedcars/us.htm :

If you are in USA :

This is general information about importing the JDM car into USA :

As you may know, all Japanese Domestic Model vehicles (JDM cars) are Right Hand Drive. And, it is difficult to import JDM cars into USA at present except the 25 years or older model, race cars, show cars, and kit cars. It is because you have to obtain the approval from DOT and EPA in order to import the JDM car, and the car has to be legalized when it will reach to the USA port.

Let me advise you that unless you wish to present crash test data for any Right Hand Drive car, it cannot legally be imported to USA. This is prohibitively expensive as a vehicle must be crashed to obtain the data (unfortunately, we are unable to assist to obtain the crash test data here in Japan.). Also the JDM car may not meet the USA emission standard. And after 1996 models need to install the OBD2 system in order to pass the emission standard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the message from Supaca Imports :

Supaca Imports specializes in Nissan Skyline, Toyota Supra, Mitsubishi Lancer Evo ,and other high JDM/RHD cars/parts directly from Japan. However for US residents, only federalizable car currently is Nissan Skyline R33 and Silvia S-13 (for which crash test data has been produced). All the other models are available but can only be registered at the state level, (we do not register your car: a few other company does it) or federalized through special RI for higher price.

Please contact yosi@j-garage.com and let us know what type of vehicle you are considering importing. The whole process can take 6-10 weeks.

*Federalization cost is
$ 13,500(R33/S-13)
$ 23,000(other models, R34 etc.) plus shipping fee($3,000-3,800) ,and Customs fee(2.5%)

We are located in Southern California, and registered through the state as a limited liability company as a wholesale parts co. & import/export agent.
Email : supacaimports@gmail.com / 1-213-305-4200  (TIM)

For your information, here is a link of the US importing information.
EPA : http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/quikover.htm
DOT : http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
US customs : http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/import/

I wonder if US Subie might not be better off bringing his own car over here and, if he finds its LHD too much of a problem, he could maybe get it converted to RHD?  :dunno: (I know it's drastic, but under the circumstances it would probably be economically viable?)

Back