Type R Box Gone - Go 6 Speed?

Cut a hole in the roof and fit a vent and hey presto it?s a v limited :icon_grin:.

It?s a good thing we all don?t like the same thing :thumbsup:as my pockets are no deep enough to be in competition with the 2 Of ye boys :icon_grin:

That's not necessarily that it doesn't work, mine does that and it works fine, its the type of oil used or I am hoping it is. Got some oil via buddy of mine from Ali and my buddy says it cured his so I am hoping it will cure mine.
This is the second car I have had the issue. I'll let you know if it works and also if I can find out what it is as its in an unmarked can!

Regarding your gearbox dilemma 6 speed be some job however the way the prices of type R's are going I would be keeping it as original as possible.

Keep me posted.

I think a call to ali borrows this week and get the 5 speed looked at.

5spd to 6spd is a massive weight jump, at a guess a 6spd is double or more the 5spd.. so you?re end up heading your Type R towards Newage car weight.

I have done the conversion, but it was done because of Power increase. I couldn?t see myself bothering to do it on a standard car. Maybe if I was doing a complete transplant of a Newage engine and box... but not as a fix.

There might be only something simple wrong with this mans gearbox, I didn?t see him mention about notchy gears or anything, just a noise that get louder with RPM, it could just be only a spigot bearing for all we can guesstimate so ffs don?t run out and spend 2-3k plus on a 6spd and all the associated work with it just yet... Don?t forget 6spds are getting on now too in age and mileage, lots coming out of cars that have seen more track days than road miles. Must be near 10yrs now since I bought mine and that was out of an 06/07 car.

As I said earlier, pull the box and get it inspected, even better let the gearbox guy hear and feel it first in car...

In my own experience of getting a gearbox rebuild brought my to a place in greenoge let him hear it in car I had a high enough pitch whine got louder just on power. It was with another gearbox place to get it set after seals done. Anyway my whining was an incorrect set pinion height which wore the crown gear not much when it was taken out but enough so while it was stripped changed every bearing in it and seals new shaft and crown gear aswell ( not cheap) all back together not a bother now two oil changes all clean. I could of bought a second hand one with what I paid but it was perfect before just needed parts that were damaged a costly mistake but live and learn.

Anyway how to diagnose

Worn crown gear whine on power only

Whine all the time bearing issue rear bearings don?t really go I was told usually just back one as it?s harder for oil to get back there

Notchy gear changes sincro rings on that gear when in it

I?d drop the oil might tell you something might not but without looking inside it?s cheap enough.
I bought all my parts off Ali had them in stock and advised me.

Since I got it done been to ring and back plenty of non snowflake spin can still spin four wheels in the wet. so for me rebuild right choice.

I never use the sixth gear on a run but it?s handy for motor way I would keep it original if not needed or everyday car
Hope it helps

Last edited:
On good note the box is fine.

The whine was coming and going and it actually is the turbo.

Now trying to find a place to rebuild a vf24 is the next problem, tried about 4 places already and its a no go.

just to bump this up , my friend has my old type r and it gone big bhp with it , map had to be left at just under 400 as box was making huge noise.

whats his best route for 6 speed box and what exactly does he need and where would he get it?
i would have left it 350 and keep standard box but this guy bought the entire roger clark book lol

Back