Track day car

Started to rewire the rear of the car over the last two evenings. As all the wiring going to the old pump and tail lights was the original wiring, I have decided to completely rewire and tidy all this area. I didn?t want to see any exposed wires so I 20mm copex. 20mm is probably a tad big, but I had it sitting around so waste not want not! This stuff blends in grand with the black so job done. I also found an old electrical connection box for making the joints and gave it a lick of black paint.

e05dfc6bd0fdd495f491b2d95168996a.jpg

7070cc0da66508dfc9983e076c0bcc5f.jpg

I will make up blanks for these areas using some aluminium.

6970950698d938c987ba6f1310765906.jpg

Fuel pump is now wired and runs perfect. Just need to finish my -6 lines now before I restart. The plan is to run the car on 102 VP fuel, more for safety than performance.Im thinking it will need to get the map slightly tweaked as there has been a few other bits done especially the new exhaust system. Hope its not too loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
102 :eek7: were going all out now :thumbsup: Good man that should make a great difference with a map tweak

I am asking a lot of this little car this year:) hopefully if I look after it, it will look after me;)

Last edited:
Picked up some rubber to get the season started, all 2nd hand slicks but loads on them. Should be fine for the Saxo being so light. Really looking forward to seeing what this car can do with some real grip. Thanks to Dec and Noel for getting them on rims for me yesterday.

068004fc7b5bce29c9df570c51b77e06.jpg

Monday and Tuesday nights are my only available nights anymore to get some work done on this car. Time is definitely against me for all the other bits I need to get done but hopefully it will come tomorrow. Tonight I got to finish my fuel lines, and thankfully I had only one tiny leak at the pump which just required a little squeeze on the connection. I probably won?t get to start the car until the weekend and hopefully that will also be successful and all leaks stay away. Once I?m happy that everything is ok I?ll try get started on the firewall around the tank. It will be important to get this right, and I know it will also be time consuming. These jobs I kinda look forward to as they are challenging, and even more so with limited resources.

09f720103e7dc8d8644734ce28f866c0.jpg

Picked up these fuel clips at the Autosport show in January.

738421dbea5967691a1fa23e3fe34cdf.jpg

I had to make a bracket and use bulkhead fittings to reduce back to push on connection in the engine bay. As in using bike bodies they don?t come with AN connection and I?m not too pushed about converting them.

Last edited:
Last night I started on building the firewall for the fuel cell. The material of choice for this is 2mm aluminium sheeting.

2ffd181b3398e3295bbcb55c571a80b7.jpg

This is a job I haven?t been looking forward too but it?s starting to work out a little better than I though it might.
The plan was to start with a large piece around the cell, this was to give me a level surface to build on.

1df139a3321cea1e862de2485440fb5f.jpg

As I?m going all joints will be pop riveted together and bonded with high temperature sealer. The tricky bit is building the sides to bland and seal the base. Luckily I kept the piece of floor that I cut out for the tank, this helped me shape and cut the sides. Again I?ll fold rivet and seal these blanks.

de47838a649dafd7059fbbb8374205c6.jpg

Big thanks to Dec for calling over and giving me a hand. He done a great job prepping my boot and doors for internal painting. These few hours work are a huge help to me getting this ready for testing on the 10th of March. As always I?m very grateful for his help and advice all the way through this project.

b8d5f5309987dda7ef1097fcea0923b3.jpg

Tonight little task was to continue working on the fuel cell firewall. I had one base side plate to make up.. which did take an hour and a half[emoji28] as it was mega awkward with very little room.
Then I started to measure up the actual box itself. I wanted to make sure that the box was made from one piece and only joined in one place. I probably should have taken more photos too show the total pain of the process.
After loads of marking, bending and cutting I ended up with something pretty close to my original plan. I want to sand everything for a Matt finish before I rivet and seal it all together.
I will make the lid next which will be held down with spring clips, similar to what is used on a boot lid. I will need to get the four lid corners welded so I?ll need to take that away for welding as it?s not something I can do myself.

c4a990babf9b1a532cce96fb776dbdfb.jpg

fc0e3e410b4e7a956a7aa58050b4b914.jpg

f4744bb6576b88edff03edd351f091f0.jpg

Last edited:
Metal fab worker lost in ya The boss will be impresses when you start making your own trunking :icon_grin: great work man looks the job sitting nice and low :thumbsup:

Metal fab worker lost in ya The boss will be impresses when you start making your own trunking :icon_grin: great work man looks the job sitting nice and low :thumbsup:

Cheers Joe[emoji23]
Time is money in our game.. if I was caught getting too fancy with trunking I'd be shot[emoji23][emoji23]
I only with I had the correct kinda tools for this kinda work. But it's amazing that an angle grinder and bench vice can do! I'm really happy with the location as it allows the pump, filters and all connections to fit under it safely.

Cheers Joe[emoji23]
Time is money in our game.. if I was caught getting too fancy with trunking I'd be shot[emoji23][emoji23]
I only with I had the correct kinda tools for this kinda work. But it's amazing that an angle grinder and bench vice can do! I'm really happy with the location as it allows the pump, filters and all connections to fit under it safely.

Class work as always Adrian gonna be almost 2 good to race ????

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last night we finished the fuel cell Firewall/Box. All that?s left now is to Aluminum braze the corners of the lid for a good seal. I picked up some OMP spring clamps to hold the lid secure, which should be sufficient. Big thanks again to Dec for calling over and lending a hand and fitting me Stack Tachometer. Getting ever closer to tar now and can?t wait [emoji4]

bbe8ffa69dfe4d9838ad6467c696e1c9.jpg

We fitted two OZ rims with the slicks on just for a look and while they could never be a replacement for the Compomotives.. they are a good second place[emoji106]

842da448804fb0e46cb933256dacb8f7.jpg

Last edited:
This whole fuel cell really was the catalyst for lot?s of other ?while I?m at it? jobs! But tonight it?s finally done.

0193ba3b801c5148148f1fb30c907da3.jpg

19adace2cf2f171c889fe594dba45f4a.jpg

Thanks to all Dec?s hard work prepping the doors and boot lid, I finally got them sprayed up this evening. It will be great to see these back on.

6ef26674e515038f50a4a45bab2e99bb.jpg

That?s my Stack Tachometer fitted by Dec yesterday evening. Picked up very cheap second hand. Really need to match the oil & water temp gauges when I can afford them.

632040e3626a19ba213968076037c5c8.jpg

Before I start work on the rear defuser, I made up this heat shield. This is just to keep back some heat from the fuel pump wiring above the exhaust.

cef8152bff85e254cde2298b2cfd14fb.jpg

Next big step will be to just get it ready for a slight tune up and make sure everything is ok.

Back