Secondary Air Valves & associated Pump

'07 hawk - 2.0 n/a

are the valves different? that's not great news.....most cars seem to be turbos, sounds like these valves will be hard got so...

valves definetly different on 2.0 try getting some info on scoobyireland one or two lads on there had same problem as you i think one got codes removed from the ecu but i could be wrong

ok, thanks buckshot.

Getting codes removed was plan b. I'm in two minds about ripping the lot out and having the ecu flashed not to look for it anymore. On a non turbo car, it might look a bit dodge when i come to sell it. I have Joe Power's number so I'll ring him to see what advice he can give if I can't find the parts. Aonghus's laptop couldn't read the ecu on my car for some reason and I hope Joe's won't be the same.

I'll have a look on scoobyireland, I registered there a while back.

Do you know of any breakers around the place that I could try? I tried a few here and I may as well be looking for parts for a veyron. The only subarus they had were classics, no new age.

Seems like your getting the run around with the problem , when you find one good lad stick with them

it's an annoying problem, I'll say that much...!

Just got back a price from a main dealer.....€1280 to replace the valves.
I know it is a main dealer price but they quoted €1200 to do the timing belt a few months ago as well....
I don't think it's 100% their fault either, the genuine parts are an astronical price for what they are.

I hate to say it, but I'm getting a bit tired of these prices and it is nearly turning me off my beloved subaru. At these prices, you couldn't go near a dealer at all... :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

You need as discussed find out exact part that is failed. As this seems a guessing game.

If only one valve then x1 second hand valve may be the way to go.

Yes of course its possible that in few months/years etc will raise its head again with a pump or another valve issue. But that seems best solution in your case imo.

Thanks Dave. I'm just so pissed off over the whole thing that I'm finding it hard to focus on the best way to fix it....!

I'll do as you advise, I'll bring it somewhere to find out what exactly is gone and see where I go from there.

Can I thank you here for all the advice on our call the other day and for taking the time to talk to me. I appreciate it very much. Thanks a million, Dave.

@buckshot Thanks for the links below. I'll take a look at them now but will wait until I figure out what part is gone before I go further and order something.

Just an update.......
I brought the car to a dealer yesterday and the following fault codes showed:
P0137 - O2 Sensor Circuit - Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0410 - Sec Air system function
P2444 - Sec Air Pump malfunction
P1410 - Sec Air cab valve siezed/open

When they took a look, the wiring loom also has water problems. I was asked if I had steamed cleaned the engine, and I hadn't, but that's not to say the previous owner hadn't done it.
2 hours were spent taking the valves out, cleaning them, taking the wiring loom apart, drying that out, and putting the lot back together.
The fault codes were cleared and they went for a test drive. All went well, no CEL light.
However, on the way home, about 10 miles from the garage, the fookin light came back on again.
So, they are going to ring Subaru today to see if there is anything else that they can do before they recommend replacing the lot.

I was quoted 1280 to replace the valves but the car may need a wiring loom as well.
I think I can get the parts second hand even though I have read some unfavourable stuff about "24/7 spares" after doing a google on the phone number they've given me.

Jesus Adrian thats a pain in the balls , plenty of the rx's had simular problems to yours , its a well known issue much the same as the chocolate pistons in the 2.5's , dunno how subaru can expect any owner to have to fork out alot of money on what was obviously a design flaw in the first place , surely the air pump can be blanked and mapped out though , if wrx's and sti's can be done so easily why not your car

They will not need replace the lot.

One or two them codes caused by the other codes imo.

Re wiring surely pin and continuity test would have known for sure no wiring issues etc.???

Painful is right, Tommy, because it's only a problem now that the car has failed the nct. Would you believe, the rx is not as easy to blank out the air pump etc on as the wrx/sti is. It can only be done on some non turbo models. I was in touch with Joe Power about it and he said that it may not be an option, because it would depend on the type of ecu that is in the car. So, if I decide to go down this road, I have to send him a picture if what is in the car and he'll let me know then if it can be done or not.

Dave is spot on re the error codes. The garage reckons the last code on the list above is the cause of the one above it and so on. They reckon if I get the air pump/valve issue sorted, that that should solve the lot. He is also right about not having to replace the lot. The approach they took was to try and fix what was there, and it seemed to have done the trick but it didn't last as I found out on the way home.

@Dave I don't know if they did a continuity test tbh, I presume they did but I have no idea. They only said that they discovered a problem with the wiring and tried a repair job on it.

@scoobysub I went to JJ Burke who is the dealer in Ballinrobe, Mayo. They are a 40 min drive from me.

Given that what they tried didnt work, they said they'd ring 'Noel' from Subaru in Dublin for advice on what could be done next.

I replaced both in my sti with new ones from dealer and it didn't cost as much as you were quoted . Way off in fact. still not cheap though. Id shop around.

That's interesting, Gerry, if you don't mind me asking, what were you charged? and what was done exactly, was it both valves and the pump or just the valves or just the pump?

I know of two other people who were quoted similar prices to what I was quoted so I didn't think it was too off the wall when I heard it.

Back