New points

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=14315.msg177256#msg177256 date=1239660242]

Easier said than done Eric, wheel/headlight alignment and getting a catted exhaust to pass emissions.

[/quote]

I have a catted downpipe from a version 6 sti there if ya want a lend. Mine passed emissions with just the downpipe added back in :thumbsup:

I'm sure you'll only have had to make an appointment by 1st May rather than be tested, just pick a date 2 or 3 months down the road & keep the confirmation letter in the car to show the cops

When you fail your driving test you can jump in your car and drive home,

When you fail the NCT can you now jump in your car and drive home?

stupid bastards making the decisions in this country, we are all damned.

So am I right in saying you dont need to be stopped by the gards to get these points. :ponder2:

I am a bit confused. :icon_grin:

you still have to be pulled by the guards keith!!!
the penalty will be for failure to display a current valid nct cert!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sound Marko for clearing that up. :thumbsup:

Thought by some comments above your just fooked when you run out. :wall:

This is just typical of the so-called "government" that we have in charge of our country. Firstly they decide to announce these additions a week after a budget that shafted a medium income earner with a couple of kids, but that had feck all bearing on the fat cat bankers and developers that have this country in the mess it is in now. Now the car owner is yet again an easy target for the government coffers, not even a year after we have seen our motor tax rise by more than 10% and diesel levies risen by 5% a litre. I find it a little more than a coincidence that such measures would be introduced so quickly in a country where there is a deficit and cut-backs and cost-cutting measures are being forced in every sector of society (except parliament it would seem)! Our Taoiseach earns more than the American president and a normal minister earns more than the head of the american national treasury for christ's sake!

Now dont get me wrong, i'm all in favour of the nct. Some cars on the roads were death-traps but what is the government achieving by scare-mongering motorists with what is completely over excessive penalty points and potential court appearances? How can they justify issuing 5 points for driving a vehicle without a certificate of road worthiness and only issue 2 points for speeding or using a mobile phone while driving? Good driver behaviour and awareness cant be taught like this. Smacking a child doesn't him teach right or wrong. Right and wrong is learned from a young age through explanation and guidance. Driver behaviour is the same.

Also, they have not fully explained how it will operate. How long will we have to fix a fault identified by an nct test? Will the gardai be able to sit outside a center and catch everyone on their way out, cos lets face it-how many cars pass their nct first time. Will the 3 points be issued for visual faults on a test? How road unworthy is my car if the rubber on my brake pedal is too worn? Well enough to issue 3 points now it seems! Lets be real-the nct certificate only really certifies that your car is road worthy for the 40 minutes that its in the center. How many people have modified exhausts and the like put on after having the test? How is high co2 emissions deemed to be a danger to driving? Is my car any less road worthy because i passed an nct test a year and a half ago? Well i've a cert in my window that says it is!

We need to start excercising our rights. The right to make sure that the government we appointed to serve us does just that...serve it's people, not rip them off time and time again. The right to question government policies, and who they benefit? We are not run by a dictatorship, so why letting this government throw a deaf ear to our voices.

Rant over!

@ ruaidhri555 very well said :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would be in favour of a protest for so many reasons at this stage.

If this was France they would've blocked the ports the minute they raised fuel costs never mind all the rest of the crap they shoveled on in the past weeks :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

[quote author=ruaidhri555 link=topic=14315.msg177529#msg177529 date=1239730145]
How long will we have to fix a fault identified by an nct test? [/quote]

Probably just 4 weeks as it is now.

Will the gardai be able to sit outside a center and catch everyone on their way out, [/quote]

That sounds like a handy 8 hour shift so probably yes.

how many cars pass their nct first time. [/quote]

47% I think.

This is just typical of the so-called "government" that we have in charge of our country. Firstly they decide to announce these additions a week after a budget that shafted a medium income earner with a couple of kids, but that had feck all bearing on the fat cat bankers and developers that have this country in the mess it is in now. Now the car owner is yet again an easy target for the government coffers, not even a year after we have seen our motor tax rise by more than 10% and diesel levies risen by 5% a litre. I find it a little more than a coincidence that such measures would be introduced so quickly in a country where there is a deficit and cut-backs and cost-cutting measures are being forced in every sector of society (except parliament it would seem)! Our Taoiseach earns more than the American president and a normal minister earns more than the head of the american national treasury for christ's sake!

Now dont get me wrong, i'm all in favour of the nct. Some cars on the roads were death-traps but what is the government achieving by scare-mongering motorists with what is completely over excessive penalty points and potential court appearances? How can they justify issuing 5 points for driving a vehicle without a certificate of road worthiness and only issue 2 points for speeding or using a mobile phone while driving? Good driver behaviour and awareness cant be taught like this. Smacking a child doesn't him teach right or wrong. Right and wrong is learned from a young age through explanation and guidance. Driver behaviour is the same.

Also, they have not fully explained how it will operate. How long will we have to fix a fault identified by an nct test? Will the gardai be able to sit outside a center and catch everyone on their way out, cos lets face it-how many cars pass their nct first time. Will the 3 points be issued for visual faults on a test? How road unworthy is my car if the rubber on my brake pedal is too worn? Well enough to issue 3 points now it seems! Lets be real-the nct certificate only really certifies that your car is road worthy for the 40 minutes that its in the center. How many people have modified exhausts and the like put on after having the test? How is high co2 emissions deemed to be a danger to driving? Is my car any less road worthy because i passed an nct test a year and a half ago? Well i've a cert in my window that says it is!

We need to start excercising our rights. The right to make sure that the government we appointed to serve us does just that...serve it's people, not rip them off time and time again. The right to question government policies, and who they benefit? We are not run by a dictatorship, so why letting this government throw a deaf ear to our voices.

Rant over!
[/quote]

Well said mate.

Rant over!
[/quote]

ruaidhri555 for Taoiseach!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks guys, but in truth i'm only saying what 99% of every driver out there is thinking. For the government to come out and say this is another road safety initiative and then say that they are going to give truck driver's who hit over-head bridges 3 points because it cost the government €25 million to repair the bridges last year is surely admitting that this is geared towards extra revenue income and not a desire to make our roads safer

Here is an interesting bit of reading:-

According to the National Roads Authority, the main contributing factor to the large number of road fatalities in this country in 2004 (96%) was the behaviour of the road user.

* The behaviour of drivers contributes to 88% of road fatalities
* The behaviour of pedestrians contributes to 8% of road fatalities
* Road factors contribute to 2% of road fatalities
* Environmental factors contribute to 1.5% of road fatalities
* Vehicle factors contribute to 0.5% of road fatalities

The main behaviour causing death and injury remain the same and include

* Excessive and inappropriate speed
* Driving while intoxicated, whether through drugs or alcohol
* Failure to wear seatbelts and failure of parents to restrain their children properly
* Failure to recognise vulnerable road users
* As pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists we fail to recognise our vulnerability and fail to ensure we can be seen by others when using the roads
* Driving while tired could also be a contributory factor

Note that 88% of road fatalities in 2004 were driver behaviour related compared to 0.5% caused by vehicle factors.

The following report from 2007 backs up these finding yet again - http://www.rsa.ie/publication/public...ook 2007.pdf

Some excerpts from it
-1.11 Contributory Actions to Road Collisions
In single vehicle fatal collisions, exceeding safe speed limit was cited as the main
contributory action in 47 per cent of collisions. However, in two vehicle only fatal
collisions - see Figure 9 (page 10) - the most frequently cited contributory action
is ‘went to the wrong side of the road’ (41 per cent) followed in turn by ‘other
action’ (24 per cent), ‘exceeded safe speed limit’ (19 per cent), ‘drove through
stop / yield’ (8 per cent) and ‘improper overtaking’ (8 per cent

1.10 Contributory Factors to Road Collisions
The contributory factors listed by members of An Garda Síochána on collision report forms
changed little from 2003 (see Table 17 on page 23). Driver error accounted for 82 per cent
of all contributory factors identified in fatal collisions, while the next most listed factor,
pedestrian error, accounted for 13 per cent. Road factors accounted for 3 per cent of all
listed contributory factors. The breakdown of contributory factors to fatal collisions are
shown in Figure 8 below.

Table 17 Fatal and Injury Collisions Classified by Possible Contributory Factor Where Specified
Contributory Factor Fatal Injury Total %
Driver 134 3,511 3,645 86.4
Pedestrian 21 333 354 8.4
Road 5 130 135 3.2
Vehicle 0 11 11 0.3
Environment 3 72 75 1.8
TOTAL 163 4,057 4,220 100.0

Yet again vehicle factoring accounts for 0.3% of fatalities

The cost of collisions was based on those as outlined in the 2004 Goodbody
Economic Consultants report entitled ‘Cost Benefit Parameters and Application
Rules for Transport Project Appraisal’ which was commissioned by the
Department of Transport. Using the updating mechanism as set out in the
Goodbody Economic Consultant’s report which is to inflate the year 2002 cost
values to 2007 values, using the growth in Gross National Product (GNP) per
person employed, the estimated cost of all fatal and injury road collisions
reported to and recorded by An Garda Síochána in 2007 is €1.38billion. There is
an increase in cost of collisions despite downward trend in fatal and injury
collisions.
Table A2: Total Cost of Road Collisions in 2007
1 Source of GNP per person employed Growth rate = CSO
1.13 International Comparisons
On the basis of road deaths per million population, in 2007, the latest year for
which international comparative information is available, Ireland is ranked ninth
out of the EU-25.
(Sources: IRTAD and ETSC)
Type Number of collisions Cost per collision Total cost (€)
Fatal 309 €2,891,435 €893,453,472
Serious 618 €386,286 €238,724,498
Minor 4,540 €38,045 €172,725,207
Material Damage 23,770 €3,044 €72,346,752
Total 29,237 N/A €1,377,249,928

How Mr Lenihan would love to re-coup some of that €1.37 billion!!

If vehicle road worthiness is that important that it deserves 3-5 penalty to be issued why isn't there an abundance of road safety adverts on tv or the press warning you of your cars un-worthiness? Because it doesn't deserve it. How many people excessively speed or use mobiles or drive in a careless fashion? I would take a rough guess at lets say 10%-20%. That means that the governments revenue from fines can only be obtained from this amount of drivers and that's assuming every motorist in this percentage is caught and fined. By targeting the car owner, who has to have an nct, the government is enlarging its revenue potential to 90% of motorists. This is simply a revenue generating scheme for an inept government

@ ruaidhri555, You certainly know how to research these things and I totally agree with your points raised.

Karma for you for doing a great job there :thumbsup:

I think Kent Brockman said it best "Democracy just doesnt work, people!".

Any one remember the referendum's this country has had. Every time "We" say No.

What does our Goverment do! So next time one of theses goverment officals knock at your door.

You can politely tell them why you won't be listening to what they have to say.

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=14315.msg177256#msg177256 date=1239660242]
[quote author=ericsti link=topic=14315.msg177254#msg177254 date=1239659932]
Simple fix to this is just get your car NCT'd like everyone else. :icon_grin:
[/quote]

Easier said than done Eric, wheel/headlight alignment and getting a catted exhaust to pass emissions.

My problem with this is 16 days to get everything sorted and it all comes down to the €€€€€
also 5 points is way too high for this offence, when its 1 for driving the wrong way on a motorway :wall: which is far more dangerous to others
[/quote]

only one point for driving wrong way up motorway? wtf

I think there might be a loophole in the system where you can still drive on the road if your car has an appointment for a test ?
:dontknow:
just keep rescheduling for a retest before goinbg for the test
if i remember correctly you get charged for re test but only added on once so just keep rebooking and it doesent keep clocking up the price
I could be wrong but I think it will actually be legal
:thumbsup:

I think the penalty s are excessive but if the penalty only kicks in after the retest expires it wont affect 99% of people and i know what your are saying about a worn pedal rubber or a small defect but what about corroded brake pipes ,cracked brake discs and other serious defects that cars/suv s fail on a regalur basis's surely no one agrees that its acceptable for any one to drive around in cars with serious faults ,most cars etc that fail and not repaired in time usually need a lot of work hence not worth spending the money on or are emission related faults (which can expensive but second parts etc are available most of the time .But as i said the penalty s seem a lot ,what is the points for no insurance?

Back