Daily driven mine for 8+ years multiple rolling road days/track days proper club drives & mountain runs and still pulling like a train. (Reaching down to touch the wood floor here)🙂

There alot to be said for the factory engine when cars running fine is just wasted cash doing rebuilt for the sake of it.

There's plenty or rebuilt engines gone pop.

Its your money but I'd be putting cash into preventive maintaince & enjoying the car.

And a good realistic map on a healthy car like yours would get 260 ish bhp with good quick response from the stock tdo4.

:plusone:
As always... depends on use... however, if you are just using it as a daily road car then EJ205 with VF35, pink injectors and STI top mount will be reliable (with 5MT) - and a fully forged setup, or EJ207 block, and full 6MT with running gear, would be overkill. As for a road trip... well as it stands you say your car is healthy... so a road trip is no challenge... The moment you start changing things, you'll need to run it a while to make sure all is good before you'd have the same comfort level again. If you are talking more than auxiliaries (so forged pistons, or new short block with new pistons) than it needs to be run in, then tuned etc... so longer time frame to get fully done, as well as more to go wrong, so hence longer to get to that "comfort level".

Also, need to look at "bang for buck". If you want more than 300 bhp - and/or regular track days etc... well then... that's a different kind of build and "bang for buck" wise you would be better starting with an STI rather than WRX (as a fully forged engine, and full gearbox and running gear upgrades will put you at, or likely well over, STI money anyway by the time that is fully on the road - and you will not see half of that back if ever you would decide to sell - as apposed to an STI will hold that value).

Another, not insignificant, issue is insurance... if you mod the WRX you need to declare or you won't be covered if something happens... There has been a sharpening of rules imposed and any significant mods require engineer reports etc. Short of trade insurance most insurance companies (especially for new business) will not touch modified cars at all (or be cost prohibitive); whereas an STI is still a factory spec car and although as always not cheap to insure and not everyone will cover them, but you can get cover.

Not trying to put you off... just go in eyes wide open to all the issues / challenges... plan, plan and plan some more... if going ahead... set a reasonable and realistic expectation with a budget to get you there... a realistic budget with contingencies built in (things will always end more expensive than you expected).

Oh... and welcome of course! :thumbsup:

Daily driven mine for 8+ years multiple rolling road days/track days proper club drives & mountain runs and still pulling like a train. (Reaching down to touch the wood floor here)🙂

There alot to be said for the factory engine when cars running fine is just wasted cash doing rebuilt for the sake of it.

There's plenty or rebuilt engines gone pop.

Its your money but I'd be putting cash into preventive maintaince & enjoying the car.

And a good realistic map on a healthy car like yours would get 260 ish bhp with good quick response from the stock tdo4.
Thanks Ciaran I take it yours is a ej205 aswell! What bhp and Torque did you achieve, and are you running the 5speed or have you change to 6??

Hi guys just become a full member of the club, my name is Pat la Roche and I’m from Wexford,
about a year ago I was doing some work in a house for a guy and came across a Subaru parked in yard! Iv always wanted a Subaru so I enquired abit about the car and turns out the keys had been lost and it was parked there for a year or more doing nothing. Away I bought the car for a steel, it is a 2003 blobeye jdm wrx ej205. After sorting out a key and abit of a detail the car is mint!! It’s completely standard never been modified, part from a hks hi power exhaust, But me been me im
Abit of a clean freak so just about a month ago iv started to strip the car so I can get a full under seal and powder coat the chassis! Iv rust on my front panel that holds the radiator that needs replacing but other than that there is no bad rust other than surface rust anywhere on the car.
also will be looking for advice as I’m wanting to make abit more power and I’m aware of the ej205 capabilities so If anyone has done a build like this any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks lads looking forward to meeting up and enjoying your company in the Future.
View attachment 117871View attachment 117872View attachment 117873
You should start up a blog with this in members section stick this in there great place to have everything in one place 👌

Little bit of progress today! Finally got time to take out the engine👌. So next is strip abit more around the engine bay put the wheels on and Then push the car outside so I can power wash the entire car, including engine bay, and underneath ready for under sealing.... didn’t have much hardship taking out the engine other than when I went to get the engine away from the gear box it just wouldn’t move, done abit if googling and discovered that I needed to remove a bar that slipped through the clutch fork, 10mins later after knowing what to do out came the engine!! 👍

To my surprise when I took the clutch and flywheel out previous owner had installed a exedy clutch!

Back