New member & owner!

johnkin

Hi guys, I'm totally new to the club and soon to be a first time scooby owner also. I plan on modding the car over the next while but will be reaching out to the more experienced members here along the way before blowing my hard earned dosh.

I'll be taking delivery of an sg9 sti at the start of December. Any recommendations for rust prevention near Cork? Dinitrol I think is best but open to hearing what everyone else does!

Cheers, jk

If you're looking for something to do a job on the underside i think its rust bullet but scoobysub will be on ro confirm, he used it on a car and its amazing stuff and can paint over

Thanks guys, I had a browse on insta of the groups cars, some serious looking machines!! Can't wait for a post covid meet up or track session!

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new purchase. Throw up some pictures when you get a chance :)

Welcome along John (y) . Forester sti are a great car and a few in the club here too . Lukerb5 has a very nice 1 .
Regarding the rust treatment there a lot of great products out there now . Iv used rust bullet paint recently and upol raptor over it and it was a very good job 👍

Last edited:
Welcome along John (y) . Forester sti are a great car and a few in the club here too . Lukerb5 has a very nice 1 .
Regarding the rust treatment there a lot of great products out there now . Iv used rust bullet paint recently and upol raptor over it and it was
Hi Mr scoobysub, thanks for the reply/advice.
Are those products something I could apply myself at home or is it something a garage would need to do? Do ye think it's crucial to get it done asap off the boat or would be it OK holding off a few months?
Cheers for the help.

It’s something you could do yourself to apply at home but you would need a lift for a day or 2 otherwise your wasting your time as would be impossible on axle stands on the ground .
most of the problems accur when it’s sprayed over rust , which in your case shouldn’t be a problem being a fresh import . So a good Garage will be able to sort .
hope this helps 👍👍

Hi lads, dealer is being a bit sticky on doing the timing/cam belt and water pump but the car is almost at 100km. How much approx. Does this major service cost? Don't want to be a deal breaker but if its super big dollars I won't be left with any other option 😢.
Do you think its unreasonable to pressure the dealer to do it, I would have thought they would not want to let the car go knowing it was due, it wouldn't look good on their behalf!

Hi lads, dealer is being a bit sticky on doing the timing/cam belt and water pump but the car is almost at 100km. How much approx. Does this major service cost? Don't want to be a deal breaker but if its super big dollars I won't be left with any other option 😢.
Do you think its unreasonable to pressure the dealer to do it, I would have thought they would not want to let the car go knowing it was due, it wouldn't look good on their behalf!

500 minimum and closer to a bag of sand id think for most places :dontknow:

Are you paying top money for the car or he's just importing and throwing a few quid on and churning them out

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question

Not all garages will do a cambelt on sale,price and profit will dictate that

I would be more concerned if someone said it was done and it wasn't rather than been told it needs doing personally (rather do myself anyway)

maybe stick up the car and more details and Members can advise better

Welcome along John, Foz STI!? Very nice! Stick up pics when it gets here.
With regards to the belts, your best off to do it anyway, regardless of cost.
When it lands, it's not a bad idea to get them done, all fluids changed including gearbox and diff oil, new plugs and filters etc and then have it all new and perfect before sending it for mapping for Irish fuel.
Trust me, I learned this the hard way, didn't maintain a WRX properly and the engine gave up in the end.
Now, when I say that, I kept on top of services, fluids and mechanical parts, but in hindsight, I should have done all belts and head gasket too.
Not saying that will happen to yours, but prevention is cheaper than cure in this case.

AP Performance in Galway would be the go-to guy for mapping Subaru as of late, and it is best to have all the belts and fluids changed before a dyno run anyhow.
Best of luck with the new motor 👌👌

Welcome along John, Foz STI!? Very nice! Stick up pics when it gets here.
With regards to the belts, your best off to do it anyway, regardless of cost.
When it lands, it's not a bad idea to get them done, all fluids changed including gearbox and diff oil, new plugs and filters etc and then have it all new and perfect before sending it for mapping for Irish fuel.
Trust me, I learned this the hard way, didn't maintain a WRX properly and the engine gave up in the end.
Now, when I say that, I kept on top of services, fluids and mechanical parts, but in hindsight, I should have done all belts and head gasket too.
Not saying that will happen to yours, but prevention is cheaper than cure in this case.

AP Performance in Galway would be the go-to guy for mapping Subaru as of late, and it is best to have all the belts and fluids changed before a dyno run anyhow.
Best of luck with the new motor 👌👌
Hi Eoinmack, thanks very much for the above info, really appreciate it. I'll press the dealer as much as possible to do all of the above but prob end up doing a good bit here when it lands also.
I've been in touch with AP already and have them lined up for mid December all going well.
Sorry to hear about your motor also, sounds like you were ontop of the services and perhaps just got unlucky.
What's a ball bark figure for belts and water pump in Ireland? I'm budgeting 1k?
Cheers, jk.

500 minimum and closer to a bag of sand id think for most places :dontknow:

Are you paying top money for the car or he's just importing and throwing a few quid on and churning them out

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question

Not all garages will do a cambelt on sale,price and profit will dictate that

I would be more concerned if someone said it was done and it wasn't rather than been told it needs doing personally (rather do myself anyway)

maybe stick up the car and more details and Members can advise better
Hi scoobycolm, just seeing this msg. Thanks very much.. 500 lids isn't too bad but the car is a 4b with full service history so maybe its already done, dealer doesn't know till ye gets it.
That's the link not paying asking price but deffo well above what I wanted to but its my perfect car I've been looking for.
Keen to hear what ye think and thabjs again!

Back