My Money Pits

Have to ask how do you go about bidding on all these random cars? How do you gauge how much they will cost you landed here. Another nice one.
Not really that random, I'm constantly looking at what's going through the auctions on a weekly basis.

I've a buddy in the trade that buys from Japan via an agent over there and I've also a Irish guy that's based over in Japan that helps me as well.

On the freight side I'm in the logistics game so I know the freight costs and customs and duties fees. You're taking a gamble buying any car in Japan so anything I'm buying is not that expensive, and in most cases they are inspected before I bid. It's hard to value some of the older stuff though, I've been way off on some car's in recent weeks.

Yesh that's interesting on the more "unknown" cars. I often look at the 1993 and before cars myself. From bringing my last 3 cars in from Japan, last 2 through Patrick in JDM, even if you got the car for close to nothing it would still set you back 5k min by the time you have all the fees and freight. Would i be right about that? Cheers

Not really that random, I'm constantly looking at what's going through the auctions on a weekly basis.

I've a buddy in the trade that buys from Japan via an agent over there and I've also a Irish guy that's based over in Japan that helps me as well.

On the freight side I'm in the logistics game so I know the freight costs and customs and duties fees. You're taking a gamble buying any car in Japan so anything I'm buying is not that expensive, and in most cases they are inspected before I bid. It's hard to value some of the older stuff though, I've been way off on some car's in recent weeks.
I've found the jap cars tend to be alot cleaner than the cars we have over here, obviously there's exception to that rule but can't see me buying in more in this part of the world, been caught a few times and will take my chances through the Japanese auction sites before I look near here again. At least you've an idea that there may be a few issues rather than lads trying to hide issues, but I'm not into selling so it's a different story if you're a trader.

Last edited:
Yesh that's interesting on the more "unknown" cars. I often look at the 1993 and before cars myself. From bringing my last 3 cars in from Japan, last 2 through Patrick in JDM, even if you got the car for close to nothing it would still set you back 5k min by the time you have all the fees and freight. Would i be right about that? Cheers
Depends on what you are buying, for freight it can be between €800 to €1500 depending on if it is RORO or container etc etc and the Tax is about 27% of the total costs. There is value there no doubt if you can find the right cars and again it depends on whether you are flipping or keeping them. I'm all pre-94 if I can help it, I don't want a ticket for the VRT lottery.

I'm by no means an expert here and I don't make a living out of it its more of a hobby for me :). I bought my RA from Patrick, great service and is very knowledgeable.

I've found the jap cars tend to be alot cleaner than the cars we have over here, obviously there's exception to that rule but can't see me buying in more in this past of the world, been caught a few times and will take my chances through the Japanese auction sites before I look near here again. At least you've an idea that there may be a few issues rather than lads trying to hide issues, but I'm not into selling so it's a different story if you're a trader.
100% ☝️

I see a few lupo gti coming over aswell, and Don't think vrt is much, seem ti be small money over there aswell

Back