Likely VRT on 06 sti

I?ve brought two cars in from the uk and each time I paid exactly what the calculator said.
Only problem I ever had was with a Jdm

I?m getting a bit confused now lol, maybe we are getting wires crossed, you said in above post that you have brought in a car from UK and the calculator was correct but above a few posts you said the opposite????

(I was trying to be funny suggesting revenue will give you less if exporting

I haven?t brought a uk car in but by all accounts revenue charge a lot more for them than the calculator shows based on what a few people have said but I am only going by hearsay.

I was charged 5742(initially) around 18 months ago for a 06 Jdm sti so I?d be surprised if the calculator was accurate for a uk sti

Can anyone confirm what?s actually paid)

if the car is listed online whats the issue , print out the quote + hand it in , easy as that

its jdm cars that not listed online thats the issue

I?m getting a bit confused now lol, maybe we are getting wires crossed, you said in above post that you have brought in a car from UK and the calculator was correct but above a few posts you said the opposite????

(I was trying to be funny suggesting revenue will give you less if exporting

I haven?t brought a uk car in but by all accounts revenue charge a lot more for them than the calculator shows based on what a few people have said but I am only going by hearsay.

I was charged 5742(initially) around 18 months ago for a 06 Jdm sti so I?d be surprised if the calculator was accurate for a uk sti

Can anyone confirm what?s actually paid)

I?m confused myself lol

I never brought an sti in from the uk but I?ve brought in a forester and a Nissan 200sx, both cases I paid exactly what the calculator said

Sti I brought in was Jdm.

There?s definitely lads who have posted that the Vrt on uk cars was higher than calculator though

Edited to add, i brought in a wrx from the uk but luckily no Vrt applied cause i was living in the uk

Last edited:
It should be around 1000 or under it emissions make no differance as it's pre 08 so you should be grand :thumbsup: Uk cars are are differant to jdm as has being said above :thumbsup:

a stupid question but why is that difference between EU/UK and JDM is it a loophole they are exploring or there is a genuine reason?

the difference is most UK/EU cars already have a statistical code aside assigned as most were available or sold here new, JDM's are not on the system so they add them as they are imported or just make it up as they go along.

a stupid question but why is that difference between EU/UK and JDM is it a loophole they are exploring or there is a genuine reason?

A lot of it is that there was just so many Jdm models and variants and Special editions that never existed here and they did not have there evaluations correct and were loosing revenue..
Back years ago you also had the situation where JDM cars were given a Statistical code by revenue/customs staff actually on the docks at point of entry...... and with back handers going on this for example is when these magical 1.6 Impreza on the log Book STi cars appeared in certain importer yards, your buddy on the docks inspected the car, gave it a 1.6 Impreza STAT code, you got the paperwork and went that time to the Revenue office, they looked at the STAT code and magically you paid 500 instead of 3k vrt :)

It was never about lower road tax, or insurance, it was down to paying as little vrt as possible and making more money on the car.

In this case here where we have the 2.5 UK STI, VRT is just cheaper as they are valued at less than a JDM 2litre, which in real life is accurate.

Well I'm b*lloxed, had the VRT tonight and they have to manually assess the VRT :( so I guess it's time to get the lube ready!

Might be grand and the center won't make a call on so send it off for assessment so sit tight no need to have the fear yet :thumbsup:

Did you print out the online calculator estimate and Stat code?

Yeah I did, but she said there was nothing she could do and it has to be assessed and they?d text me within 10 working days or something and then I ring them back to find out valuation. Then go to vrt place again to pay whatever it?ll be. Going to be a long wait :(

Vrt

Paid ?5500 for my blobeye sti but appealed after and got back a nice bit so dnt panic, only thing is whatever figure they pull from there arses u have to pay and appeal after, appeal is easy, write a strong well worded letter with 3to4 examples of wrx's here from car zone etc... And u should get money back as they don't know the difference, they just see 2.0 petrol impreza ????????

Awh man :icon_sad: I've the money put away but I don't think I'll hear from them now for a while, I imagine they're closed for a while.

Just to update this, received and paid it today. Came in at ?5570 including nox charge. Was nearly expecting worse to be honest. Any suggestions on how to go about appealing. :icon_grin:

Steep enough but can see it getting harder and harder to import subarus or any performance car now that the greens are backing up the new government

Handy enough to appeal , has to be in writing, pm me there if you want

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back