ISDC Trackday Aug 2007 - CANCELLED

:ponder:

Every year we have lads asking us to organise a trackday and every year the same sh*t happens :ponder:
Personally I wouldn't put the P1 on the track but that's my choice - but I bet people will be asking about a trackday at the AGM again :dunno:

Alan.

Hi guys,

I think your all mad not to be going down.. :ponder:

We all go out and buy, ridiculous fast potentially rally cars and then sit around polishing them all day!!!

I bought the Subaru BECAUSE you can put it on the track, its what its made for....

I have been around mondello in my civic before and while I would be one of the people you guys would look and and think I hope he doesn;t crash into me, my civic was probably worth more than alot of the Subarus on the track and there was no way I was mincing it, people aren;t there to crash :wall:

You can only overtake on the left, and with 3 left handers and about 12 right handers all the overtaking gets done on the straight, and then its a matter of horse power and brakes not skill..

You can always go down and potter along nice and easy too, I think I lapped an beautiful R34 GTR with an old guy and instructor 3 times in one session, he was just cruising around without a care in the world and there wasn;t 500 quid sh*t boxes crashing in to him every 2 mins contrary to popular belief :thumbsup:

There is instructors on hand for free to sit in with you for those who need it and you don;t have to go out every run.

It is a very easy and well organised day.

Drive your car nice and easy or get your balls out and drive like a man, its up to you but just do it.. otherwise you can go out and buy a nice new 1.6, stick a WRX kit on it and drive around the streets in that, you won't notice the difference because you won't be driving fast..

Regarding Johnny5 quote[quote author=johnny5 link=topic=1948.msg28861#msg28861 date=1184971603]
i think one of the real reasons for people pulling out of this event is not what they can do to there cars, its what others can do!this in no way disrespect to forrestersti ,turbo or anybodyelse as only a few weeks back i was lookin to buy a track car but desided to remap the scooby instead and then do a few track days.
most lads here feel they couldnt trust other track users on the track days in this country ,and mondello is one of the worst for it,i seen some stupid people on the track,doing some stupid things,none of which have anything to do with driving skills or gettin the best from your car,theres just not enough marshals and most of them dont take it serious enough to begin with.
the lads that have track cars know yourself that your track car is abused must more than you would abuse your day car or scooby.with most of the cars owned on this site costing from 5000 -50000 euro
lads dont want to put them on the track with cars that are only worth 500-upwards with lads driving them like there rodded,because thats the way i be drivin my track car.
i think the only way this track day thing is going to work is if mondello or anywere else lets just the club out on the track at once which means a bit of organisation and a bit of sweet talking.i dont know exactly how many cars go out in one session ,i think its about 15-20 cars so thats what we need.and ive said it before and ill say it again ,how the fook do we have over a hundred full members and over 300 forum users do we still only get the same ten guys wanting to do track days,ive been out with the club many times and have seen lads drivin there cars on the road just as hard as lads do on the track only the track is a lot safer and no more points on that licence of yours.and remember on the track you only have to drive as hard as you want to.
ill be honest with you this is how i taugh this track day was going to be run,so even if i wasnt gettin my car remapped two days before the track day i probably wouldnt have done it,for those reasons,so at the moment im lookin at doing the vip track day in oct, which you dont get muppets in the passenger seat doing mooners at there mates in the stand, while flying down the main straight with no seat belt on.
[/quote] come on man... stop scaring people away.

This is one of the best buzz's I ever had ( excluding f**king ) and I would recommend any car lover to get down there and experience your car for real for the first time

Hope to see a few heads down there, I sure will be :subaru:

SO CILL WHY DO YOU THINK PEOPLE FROM THE CLUB ARENT DOING THE TRACK DAY???

Alot of it is because lads have NOT been down there to see it for themselves and hear rumours about shitboxes , crashes etc.Alot of guys like to own Subarus and dont really want to drive to the max which is grand.I would recomend everybody to try it at least once while they are subaru owners
Alan

JUST 2 WEEKS TO GO!!
Who ever is interested needs to ring jenny at mondello 045 860200 and register.other wise they might be fully booked!
has anyone rang and asked if we can get our scoobys in to the paddock (for safe parking if we are having a bit of a meet)?
we can have our own little scooby corner!
Dan

in the two years i've bein doin trackdays i've only ever seen two or maybe three cars have bad crashes and that was only because they pushed it 2 hard in2 a corner and couldnt keep control if u use ur head properly u'll have a gr8 day and u'll know exactly what ur car can do

Lads the whole reason the day was Cancelled is
because the club did not recevie 1 single payment
Alot of lads here may not remember but on the last Track Day
Organized by the club the ISDC where left with a Bill of £4,000
and it took some arm twisting to sort that one . :roll: :roll:

Anyway the whole idea with having the day, plus spectators was to
encourage lads out , maybe even get a passenger ride off some of the
drivers first and see, first hand, how well run and safe an enviroment it can be.

Anyway that said all is not lost :D :D Plans are a foot for a new day with just ISDC
cars only on the track ......................more info to follow as soon as we get the info :D :D

Niall.

Have to remember alot of people are on holiday this time of year and just couldent make it or have other things going on aswell. Doesent mean there wont ever be an ISDC trackday with a decent number of people. Its only a matter of time. As Niall said there is something in motion that might give a few people a taster and let them see what its like to drive on track and see others drive on track.

Damo

Hi guys,

I'm in full agreement with Alan and B4heaven in what they say.

Just some clarification on what B4 was saying...[quote author=b4heaven link=topic=1948.msg29174#msg29174 date=1185277492]
in the two years i've bein doin trackdays i've only ever seen two or maybe three cars have bad crashes and that was only because they pushed it 2 hard in2 a corner and couldnt keep control if u use your head properly u'll have a gr8 day and u'll know exactly what your car can do
[/quote]
I'm sure he meant to say he has seen people crashing their own cars into the sand/tyres and not 2 people coming together, please B4, correct me if you have seen 2 people crash into each other.

When I first went down I asked Jenny how many crashes had been down there and she replied that she had seen an odd bump of 2 people off track just lining up to go and the only ever small knock was someone slightly going into one of the Rovers Mondello use to show you around the circuit before you start actually going round, after that it was people stuffing their own car on a corner and engines being blown.. I can relate to that one in my civic :cry: :cry: a bad bad day for me

Someone else on this thread mentioned about the groups and that is also acurate, when I went first, I was put in the lowest class, which the worst car was a sh*t box 2L, toyoto, he spun on Dunlop every time and was so embarassed he went and bought an MX5 which I saw him in the next time, but even at that he didn't and noone else crashed in to him.. the next time I was down, they recognised me and put me in the next class to which I was more suited, that time i barely saw anyone as it was evenly matched motors/drivers, very well organised..I even saw a Renault single seater baiting around, class.

Anyway, sorry for the length of this post, but there is another day on the 29th of October, if we had 20 - 25 Subaru's from the club I'm sure they would let us go out as a group together and then no one has to worry about gobshite in rust buckets smacking into us.

The runs are 15 minutes at a go the last time I was there and you get about 4 or 5 laps from that..

Everybody with a WRX or better should get down if they have the bank holiday off, I urge you all..

PS - you can learn the layout of the track even before you get there for extra safety, just check this link http://www.mondello.ie/drive.php , I spun on turn 3 before, its a bitch but great fun

Fear is not something to consider down there,

I'll be going along to do some dodgy dealings and have a lamp at some of the machinery... Will keep an eye out for the isdc stickers.

@Renno: Will you be going along to this to spectate or anything? Do you live nearby?

Hey Cill the 2 crashes i was talkin about where two cars on two different days and they hit the barriers not each other

[quote author=b4heaven link=topic=1948.msg29207#msg29207 date=1185286422]
Hey Cill the 2 crashes i was talkin about where two cars on two different days and they hit the barriers not each other
[/quote]

Thought as much,

Hope to see you down there giving it socks

The real reason why the ISDC has been unable to organise a track day at Mondello since the halcion days of the clubs first year is imho purely down to risk.

Back in early 2000 most club members had Irish Impreza Turbos which were much newer that the average age of the cars in the club at present. Also there was far fewer Jap imports simply because they weren't many imported sports cars of any sort back then. Consequently the average value of the club's member's cars was much higher back then. The guys who bought these cars had more disposable cash and had not invested every last bean into their cars, unlike a lot of the present club members. The track days were much cheaper then and so were tires and brake pads not to mention fuel. Mondello didn't run open days so The Porsche Club, the BMW Club and the newly (then) ISDC all had private track days in Mondello.

The net effect was guys with more money driving largely unmodified cars around with other club members in relative safety. Two track days were shared with the Porsche Club and both were hugely successful. The point I'm making is there was less risk and even if you had a tap from another car or a self inflicted dent, the club members had more money to fix it. In other words, it wasn't the end of the world!

Contrast that with the club of today and things look quite different. Most of the early members have either stopped posting or have left the club altogether and/or changed to other brands. The average age of the club is quite a bit younger now and there are a lot more cars with lower average values. This in my opinion is a good thing as it means more enthusiasts behind the wheel of their dream car. Unfortunately this dream has come at a cost and for quite a few members it means raiding every last penny in the piggy bank. If you had invested your life savings in your car, no matter how modest, then it would weigh heavily on your mind taking her around a track with no insurance and the costs of the track day itself coupled with the costs of new tires, brake pads and maybe new discs too. Normally a full track session will also cut your service interval in half so that also has to be budgeted for. The earlier members seemed ok with all of this and I think that is because they were by and large older (drive more sensibly ie. less likely to take risks), better off and also had the safety of knowing that the other people on track would be like minded Impreza drivers.

One last point! I recall the amount of work that went into organising the first 4 track days and speaking to Paul Mac about it. He said there is no way you can organise a track day successfully without getting cash up front. All payments have to be non refundable and he said he had to endlessly personally ring those interested in going and in quite a few cases drive over to them to collect the money! Simply E Mailing, Posting Notices on the site or even Texting will not work alone. Unfortunately it takes the kind of time and effort that few people have to spare nowadays, especially on a voluntary basis.

Anyway that's my answer to the burning question as to why the Club has not been able to organise a track day in Mondello since 2001. And whoever said "someone at the next AGM will no doubt ask 'why the club can't seem to organise track days?' " was right! It is asked every year and I have no doubt that it will continue to be asked every year. There's no simple answer. Its a combination of the things I've said above.

As far as aspiring to having 35 to 40 cars at our own Track Day goes, I think those days are well and truly over. I think realistically, the best hope of organising a tack day nowadays is to enquire whether the Porsche Club might like to let 6 or 7 of our guys share their Track Day with them or have unofficial track days by all agreeing to either a morning or afternoon session in Mondello or apply for membership of the VIP club.

Frawls

[quote author=Cill link=topic=1948.msg29211#msg29211 date=1185290482]
[quote author=b4heaven link=topic=1948.msg29207#msg29207 date=1185286422]
[/quote]

Thought as much,

Hope to see you down there giving it socks
[/quote]

u'll definately c that mate just keep ur ear out and u'll c me

Hi Frawls,

Great insight, interesting to hear how times have changed throughout the club... I wasn't even behind the wheel when you would have been flying around the circuit!!

I'd love to have been around to go on one of those track days myself though, sounds like a laugh with a bunch of flat 4's & 6's..

surely the bottom line is that if you put your name down and you did not pay up then it is you who is to blame for the trackday being cancelled.

Not sure that's the bottom line Clive. That could actually be the line that sparks another 8 pages on this thread.
I would prefer the bottom line to be: this one didn't work out, let's try and do something else instead.

Na!!!!! he bought all the rest of the committee loads of drinks at
a previous meet and told us all how beautifull we look :lol: :lol:

Niall.

Back