In the market for a Legacy B4 RSK or Forester STI, what should I be looking out for?

EoinF

ISDC Club Member
Hi folks.

In the next 2-3 months (so November/December, maybe sooner depending on personal factors (I've a Micra to get sorted first, through an NCT and then sell/px)), I'm going to be in the market for a Legacy B4 RSK or a Forester STI. Is there any particular pitfalls I should be looking for when looking before buying, and even after buying?

That being said, if ye or anyone ye're in contact with are thinking about selling one, please let me know. I'm based in Navan Co. Meath, so use that as you will.

Kindest regards and thanks for reading.
Eoin

====
Edit:

Thanks to a few messages that sent me down rabbit holes of old threads, the RSK is off the list. I'm looking more into Legacy GT Spec B's, which are still near enough the same price range.

Last edited:
Hi eoin,

Two very different cars,I'd advise test driving both and see which one you prefer.

Big tax on forester sti can leave them hard to sell on

Twin turbo setup on legacy doesn't suit everyone.

Good luck with your search ๐Ÿ‘

Hi eoin,

Two very different cars,I'd advise test driving both and see which one you prefer.

Big tax on forester sti can leave them hard to sell on

Twin turbo setup on legacy doesn't suit everyone.

Good luck with your search ๐Ÿ‘
I've driven both a few years back, both I like, and they are around my current budget, so that's why I'm interested in both.
I'm aware that the setup on the b4 could be considered "outdated", however it's great craic. Forester is feels great, and the extra space is a major plus.

Thanks lad, appreciate it.

Had a B4. Would deffo recommend staying well away from auto lol ๐Ÿ˜†
Nice car to drive, very comfy, plenty power, and they look great in my opinion.
Changed that for a WRX blob and never looked back....but the WRX was manual too so hard compare.
No experience with owning a foz....

There is a decent spec'd BL Legacy on DD alright tho, would you consider that shape? Twinscroll turbo means they did get rid of the annoying Valley Of Death as they call it (VOD) with the twin turbo set ups ๐Ÿ™„.... basically a dead zone between primary and secondary

Hi both cool cars id a Foz Sf5 S/tb 99 absolutely great car plenty of go comfort and space

Mk1 foz stb jdm 240 bhp and manual too worth looking at (be rare here only knew of my one) same model sti nearly all auto which doesn't drive that well but has them cool sti seats and few other visual bits.

Next model turbo here xt 177 bhp drive well and plentiful enough heard of few lads putting tdo4 from newage wrx and more aggressive cam (from wrx) to make more power.

Think above model in sti was only 2.5 and all after so something to consider

Good luck with search๐Ÿ‘

Had a B4. Would deffo recommend staying well away from auto lol ๐Ÿ˜†
Nice car to drive, very comfy, plenty power, and they look great in my opinion.
Changed that for a WRX blob and never looked back....but the WRX was manual too so hard compare.
No experience with owning a foz....

There is a decent spec'd BL Legacy on DD alright tho, would you consider that shape? Twinscroll turbo means they did get rid of the annoying Valley Of Death as they call it (VOD) with the twin turbo set ups ๐Ÿ™„.... basically a dead zone between primary and secondary
Hey, thanks for the info. You learn something new every day! Didn't know about the VOD thing, but read that a new ecu & a remap can fix it, and someone on another forum reckoned that it can be mostly fixed with a larger exhause pipe (changing some pipe from the usual 60mm to 75mm), so idk.

I did see a really nice looking spec b on donedeal earlier, and I know it's been up for a good long while at this stage https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-gt-spec-b/34390817.

My dream car has always been the SG9 Forester, but the dream is always there in the future. I'm leaning towards the legacys for this purchase I think, but need to get more information of issues (and positives as well) before thinking of buying.

Hi both cool cars id a Foz Sf5 S/tb 99 absolutely great car plenty of go comfort and space

Mk1 foz stb jdm 240 bhp and manual too worth looking at (be rare here only knew of my one) same model sti nearly all auto which doesn't drive that well but has them cool sti seats and few other visual bits.

Next model turbo here xt 177 bhp drive well and plentiful enough heard of few lads putting tdo4 from newage wrx and more aggressive cam (from wrx) to make more power.

Think above model in sti was only 2.5 and all after so something to consider

Good luck with search๐Ÿ‘
Thanks for the info lad. I've seen the older foresters, but to be honest they don't do it for me. They are nice to drive, but they just don't peak my interest for whatever reason.

Drove an SG5 forester for a hundred miles or so a while back, and it was great craic (until the actual owner put it through a fence :D). I'm more than willing to go through any hardships of the SG9, but it's been a dream of mine since I saw (and heard) one, and it's hard to argue with the heart :D.

Can't get rid of VOD really. It's just the design. Can reduce it, and make it more tolerable, but best to just figure out the shift points so you don't end up shifting into the VOD. Even the S401 didn't get rid of VOD, its not awful, but it is annoying if you end up in it.
There is an option you can get, I'm not sure what it's called but I think it's a zerosports sequential controller, basically just you chose at what point it switches over to secondary, and tailor it to you driving rather than the other way around. ๐Ÿค”

SG9 a class car. Would like one myself, missed out on one for 5k few years ago lol ๐Ÿ˜†

I must be the only person I know who actually liked the VOD. Had a gtb legacy (estate) years back and I still miss it. VOD was kinda fun, you had a nice kick from the first turbo, then the second bigger one spun up it was just whump pushed back into the seat with a grin. Every single time. You get used to it and as Eoin said you'd just adjust your driving a bit to compensate for it.

You said the extra space in the foz would be good - you should have a look at an estate leggy, there's more room there than the foz (I have one, they're smaller then they look) and more car-like to drive I guess,. Jarocki has a cracking one for sale here.

Welcome along ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Nice choice of cats and both will do the job but 2 very different cars youโ€™re looking at and if Iโ€™m honest. Unless you handy working on cars then the twin turbo legacy is Probley not for you . Theyโ€™re twice as complicate as a standard Subaru but if youโ€™re willing to learn then that shouldnโ€™t be a problem .
I have a 02 twin turbo legacy and theyโ€™re a really nice place to be . But there more of a luxury car that a performance car . The forester would be both really but best of Luck with the search .
Lukeโ€™s forester above would certainly have enough power for you ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Can always be tempted to part with my sg9 but not for micra money ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ
Hey, thanks for the message. Will try and PM you in a month or so and get a rundown on the car if you are serious about selling. From the OP, you could probably glean what my budget is.

I'm telling you though. Micra's will go for 20 grand in a few [dozen] years. Time to get in early on a certified classic! :D

Welcome along ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Nice choice of cats and both will do the job but 2 very different cars youโ€™re looking at and if Iโ€™m honest. Unless you handy working on cars then the twin turbo legacy is Probley not for you . Theyโ€™re twice as complicate as a standard Subaru but if youโ€™re willing to learn then that shouldnโ€™t be a problem .
I have a 02 twin turbo legacy and theyโ€™re a really nice place to be . But there more of a luxury car that a performance car . The forester would be both really but best of Luck with the search .
Lukeโ€™s forester above would certainly have enough power for you ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Hi, thanks for the info. I figured out that the twin turbo might be an issue from the previous messages, and a deep dive on the old forgotten threads here. I'm not a mechanic at all, so tinkering at that level I wouldn't touch it. I was looking at the spec b estates (with the twin scroll that Eoin alluded to), so the rsk's are off the list, but they are still a nice car.

I think, as Scoobysub said, both are really different machines.
The legacy is a real cruiser, creature comforts tho etc. Your best bet I think is to view a few of both, and see what fancies you. I wouldn't knock a wrx off the list either, in and around similar budget also, but again, a completely different car to the two you mentioned aswel ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Can't get rid of VOD really. It's just the design. Can reduce it, and make it more tolerable, but best to just figure out the shift points so you don't end up shifting into the VOD.
Sorry to go off topic but I feel like I have to defend the twin turbo setup, I had a night and day difference after getting my old legacy mapped. The boost gauge only gave a flicker bringing in the second turbo. If you changed gear while it was changing it would leave you with nothing for a few seconds alright. Watch boost gauge in bottom left
View attachment VID_20230902_213557.mp4

Oh I'm not saying you can't improve it, as I said in the post there, you just have to learn where it is and drive around it really. Like you said, if you drop into it, you've nothing for a few seconds. It just takes a bit of getting used to. Never really bothered me tbh. You can do a line 10 mod they call it, which gives full boost on both stages also...but whatever you do, it will be there.
As I said at the start, change your driving style a bit to counter act it. My driving normal usually put me straight into the vod on gear change, I used always change about 4.5 or 5k revs or that way, before I had the b4, and then just started to either change above or below where the vod was. But it's fine, I'd have another b4 no problem ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Thereโ€™s no vod in the 401 but they done a few thing differently to the rest of the b4 in the Ecu

Twin turbo b4 Its car designed in the 1990 so it has flaws ever old car does . Itโ€™s like the differance between a b4 and a golf r Yes the golf r is quicker but if you were doing stakes the b4 is the bbq and the golf r is the microwave So just because its faster doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s better ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Brilliant๐Ÿคฃ feel like that about any electric car i drive plus I'm bored within 2 mins fast yes boring Extremely boring

Haha great example, sums it up lol
Is VOD gone completely in an S401 Joe?
Was always under the impression it was just minimised, could be wrong like, it happens the odd time ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคช

Legacy wagon would have alot more room than forester.
I taught my forester xt was spacious enough but they are actually quite small inside.
My legacy wagon bh5 has alot more room in boot and for passengers.

My legacy doesn't suffer from VOD,you could say it has been deleted ๐Ÿ˜…

Thereโ€™s no vod in the 401 but they done a few thing differently to the rest of the b4 in the Ecu

Twin turbo b4 Its car designed in the 1990 so it has flaws ever old car does . Itโ€™s like the differance between a b4 and a golf r Yes the golf r is quicker but if you were doing stakes the b4 is the bbq and the golf r is the microwave So just because its faster doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s better ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
๐Ÿ–•, ๐Ÿ˜œ

Back