How to heel-toe downshift

[quote author=Dagnut link=topic=12054.msg146753#msg146753 date=1232500335]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=12054.msg146751#msg146751 date=1232500033]
Hence a car control day at mondello would be great experience!
Dan
[/quote]

yeah but what cars do you use? rovers? to get beyond the grip of my car i need to be either doing stupid speeds or stupid turning angle and heavy throttle..i do it in their cars if their any use
[/quote]

You'd have to use your own car, every car acts very differently! I have had 3 similar AWD cars that have all acted totally differently when on or past the edge,
And the FWD, RWD and AWD are a world apart!
I did a full trackday in my golf :zzzz: recently on relatively worm Eagle F1's and the edges of the tyres were just scrubed a bit, that's all, And I was dogging her!
So Everyone out in there own cars, most people would benifit form just swirving in to and out of corners to unsettle the car, were others may need a demonstation and a bit of tuition, we could maybe get mondello marshels to put a hose on a corner to get it slippier :dance:
The aim being to get lads to get the car as out of shape as possible, and then fight it bach again!
And some serious track time as well :icon_headbang: :icon_headbang:
All the saturdays are gone now, so we might be able to do it on a friday afternoon,
Dan

Cheers Ian and Dan, never saw the point for double clutching in our cars, doubt I'd need to learn now anyway, no straight cut box on the way for me :icon_rolleyes:

Also, that video of the quattro is fooking mental, how could anyone concentrate with all those lunatics running out of the road ???? :cuckoo:
But his feet were magical, should be on stage doing swan lake than driving rally cars or porsche's :icon_lol:

I have tried the left foot braking myself, first few times you nearly put yourself through the window but your foot learns after a while, its amazing how unsensitive your left is until you start using it for more than slaming the clutch in!!

Codders, your on the ball, I practice anytime I'm in an auto box, makes learning alot easier :thumbsup:

So... going to get yourself a feet cam for your next outing Dan??

[quote author=Cill link=topic=12054.msg147228#msg147228 date=1232632505]

Also, that video of the quattro is fooking mental, how could anyone concentrate with all those lunatics running out of the road ???? :cuckoo:
[/quote]

Seen an interview before with a group B rally driver asked the same question..he just said I take my lines and if people are in the way their in the way..mostly they move in time.

I'm surprised he can see the lines, seen a couple of other videos like this with cake loads of people parting like the dead sea, you couldn't see the road ahead!!!

Never have I seen it with a group b car though, 550 horses and he guides it perfectly... pure skill :thumbsup:

I remember the interview with Walter Rohrl where he said that for Audi S1 b-group rally car humans reactions were simply too slow. :cuckoo: And they were fighting all the time just to keep the car on the road.

Another anecdote
The best polish rally driver of his times -Krzysztof Holowczyc (driving Impreza WRC in 95-99 World Rally Championship)
He was very close at that time to prodrive team and Colin McRae was advising him a lot.
It was Rally Portugal 1997 with its famous bumps and jumps and people crowded everywhere. The spectators favourite game was who will manage to escape the last and avoid the rally car's bonnet :cuckoo:.
Holowczyc then asked Colin where to aim after the jump, as you have people everywhere and can't see where actually the road is. Then Colin answered calmly: Just drive into the largest group and you will find the road there for sure :icon_grin:

I think it was tommy makkanin that when he finished the stage on some dessert stage, he got bach to the service area to discover an index finger stuck on his rear spoiler, the tendons and all were still attached and dangling behind the car,
Seemingly it was a popular game for spectators to try and touch the rally cars as they pasted!
Rough out!
Dan

Back