How to heel-toe downshift

Heel and toe every downshift!
I bought a pair of work boots and went to drive home, I got to the first round about, I went all the way around it and back to the shop to take the boots back
They were to bulky to heel and toe,
I simply wouldn't be comfortable not heel and toeing on downshifts, and frankly it would be dangerous not to,
It is impossible to drive the skyline with out h.a.t.ing, that's what got me started!
Dan

@ Dan - I tried the steel toes once myself and ended up getting my foot caught inbetween the pedals :lol: Definitely no work boots to do it!

Anyone know the reason for the double clutching method? I just can't see the point? :ponder:

It gets the gears spinging at the right speed for the next gear down,, before the gear change. Saves the moving parts of the eng and gear box, Less stress like..

I think double clutching is more relivant to straight cut gear boxs!
Absolutely pointless in any of our cars!

It's worth mentioning, that heel and toe, doesn't have to be heel and toe exactly,
I roll the side of my foot (so keeping constant pressure on the brake with the ball of my foot) to blip the throttle,
And don't go mad trying to match revs exactly, just give it a good prod as you let out the clucth,
Dan

I dont think double clutching is good for your car have to agree dan..I keep the ball of my foot pressed on the brake turning my heel out to press the accelerator..razo pedals are great for as they have a piece sticking out just for this

heres the pedals i have I only fitted the accelerator

carbon_razo_pedals.jpg

this is the method I try to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4

Hummm,, i want a dog Box... its like a Snact box or a diner box but it has more Heel n Toe...
In the real world i would like straight cut 1,2,3, heical 4,5,6,, but that just me.. talking to jonny in jomo about it.. its a nice idia but thats all just an idia... :ponder:

My legs just don't bend like that!
I kinda leave me big toe and the ball of my foot, and roll my foot so my little toe and that side press the throttle!
Great clip though,
This is what I used to learn it! Legend! This lad is a test driver for porsche now!
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIiarIrUCI
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=12054.msg146699#msg146699 date=1232493126]
This is what I used to learn it! Legend! This lad is a test driver for porsche now!
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=DGIiarIrUCI
Dan
[/quote]

That would be Walther Rohr?

Fair play Dan.. That's what I'm doing on the track/while fast cornering as well . Left foot on the break almost all the time unless there is a special need for downshift, then the h.a.t technique comes into the action.

It is indeed, Walter Rohrl

Yeah left foot braking is my next aspiration!
I have reached the limit of my cars handling abilities now, so It all down to me now!!
So anything I can do to improve is worth trying!
Dan

do NOT try left foot brakeing on the road as im sure most of ye have found out by now. seriously though when its done right it will save you lots of time

It's lack of grip that is holding me up on track now so I imagine if I can use a technique that works well in low grip situations,
It may suit my driving style, ie. not exactly smooth!
I'll try on the next track day, 20 feb
Dan

it helps took the nose of the car in..if your trying in your r32 its easier to control as you can steer with the trottle....I was trying to learn in a fwd..its was great for preventing understeer but it came right around on me when i went to heavy and i barley caught it that was the end of that..i wasn't risking it in the leggy i dont know how an awd would react.
as regards being smooth..dont be modest dan ive seen you driving round modello

Hence a car control day at mondello would be great experiance!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=12054.msg146751#msg146751 date=1232500033]
Hence a car control day at mondello would be great experience!
Dan
[/quote]

yeah but what cars do you use? rovers? to get beyond the grip of my car i need to be either doing stupid speeds or stupid turning angle and heavy throttle..i do it in their cars if their any use

[quote author=six spoke clive link=topic=12054.msg146717#msg146717 date=1232494489]
do NOT try left foot brakeing on the road as im sure most of ye have found out by now. seriously though when its done right it will save you lots of time
[/quote]

Its good fun. You'll hit the windscreen :lol:

It's just the matter of getting used to this technique and learning the balance in your left foot.
As someone already said, our left leg is programmed to slam the clutch pedal with maximum power.
I've learned to control it in my Renault clio williams which I used to drive in local rallys some years ago. It's crucial when you're driving FWD car- especially on the snow and wet but if you go a bit further and use it on dry tarmac, it will give you hundreds of the second on every km of the ss.
Left foot braking is the only way to control the FWD car strong tendency to understeer.
When I'm driving my dad's Audi A6 with tiptronic gearbox, my left foot automatically goes on the brake pedal. It's very easy to learn this technique in the car with automatic gearbox as well, as you don't need to care about changing the gears.

Back