$hit $hit $hit

what people fail to realize that did you know that in 1977 there were 650 deaths on the road per annum versus 350 todays total...... so massive decrease versus massive increase to raod traffic, its the media that has us thinking this way.......

I'll go a step further Dave , in that, it's not the media but Government that are pushing this. You'll here very little
about suicide etc even though the death's are higher .......simply casue they can't give you 2 points or an €80 fine
for attempting to do so.

As for the 650 road deaths , NO seatbelt and crap cars, plus windscreen glass that would sheer off and slice you in half.

Niall.

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=3922.msg40754#msg40754 date=1192026583]
what people fail to realize that did you know that in 1977 there were 650 deaths on the road per annum versus 350 todays total...... so massive decrease versus massive increase to raod traffic, its the media that has us thinking this way.......

I'll go a step further Dave , in that, it's not the media but Government that are pushing this. You'll here very little
about suicide etc even though the death's are higher .......simply casue they can't give you 2 points or an €80 fine
for attempting to do so.

As for the 650 road deaths , NO seatbelt and crap cars, plus windscreen glass that would sheer off and slice you in half.

Niall.

[/quote]

totally agree with this..i made this point on driver .ie about 6 months ago when the debate was raging..suddenly all the senior members of that site became road angels..fogetting it used to be called crusieirl.ie!!
its good that they were trying to influence younger drivers to be safer..i repect them for this.. no one wants to see people dying but i dont buy the government properganda thats its young men in high powered cars causing all these deaths.. the staticstics dont support this they are very wide spread and varied as to the cars involved and the age of the drivers.
The licence and testing system needs revising for one...also how many times have you seen a speed trap at an accident black spot?? or any major b roads? you dont..80% are on motorways or feeder roads around dublin were they know they are going to raise revenue...
As niall said theres no revenue in saving young men from killing themselfs..those deaths probably save them money in the long run on medical costs for treating depression or drug addiction.

I'm very anti-media myself, as in I am always sceptical as to the reason for publicising one story and not an other!
eg. "the celtic tiger is dead!!" We are still a damb sight better off than most of the world! but it's publicity like this that generates a lack of confidence in our own country! that the whole world see's as an economic weekness! And that's really bad!
(sorry about the off topic rant)
On the subject of road deaths! I dont think there is an "acceptible" number of people to die every year! But it's danerous "anti-social" driver's
Who mainly kill innocent people not silly poeple who forget to put on there seat belt or is doing 130kph on the 3 laned N7 motorway!
If this many people were being killed by a murder then the government would double the resorces to the gaurds to stop it! so advanced driving courses sould be subsidised and recognised by insurance companys and everyone sould have to pass there driving test every couple of years and nobody regardless of age should be aload drive a perfomance car with out first passing an advanced driving test!( when you buy a viper in the USA you do a day's training before you can take her home!)
It's putting innocent lives in danger that is unforgivable eg. Paul! you were done for not wearing you own seat belt, And for that I think you were a bit silly! (no offence) but if you were done for having kids in your car with no seat belts, I'd think you were a Scumbag!
Dan

[quote author=Niallyboy link=topic=3922.msg40754#msg40754 date=1192026583]
what people fail to realize that did you know that in 1977 there were 650 deaths on the road per annum versus 350 todays total...... so massive decrease versus massive increase to raod traffic,  its the media that has us thinking this way.......

for attempting to do so.

As for the 650 road deaths , NO seatbelt  and crap cars, plus windscreen glass that would sheer off and slice you in half.

Niall.

[/quote]

thats my point?

650 deaths a year on the road and about 2 murders a year back then........ but never in the papers

1/15th less cars???   so thats a 750% reduction.........  open to correction as percentages calculation isn't my high point.......

But now a days they never shut up about it..  as said above think figure of suicide in ireland is 550-600 per annum which equals nearly 12 people a week in ireland?  And its never ever in the paper. 12 a week??

And @dagnut yeah have seen this on driver from junior and his junior muppets forgetting he set up cruise ireland and cruised around tramore and set up cruises and the like lot more then the average lad and now going on like model angels.

[quote author=nicknack link=topic=3922.msg40751#msg40751 date=1192023692][quote author=greenwagon link=topic=3922.msg40749#msg40749 date=1192023450]But the state of some of the cars around at the time was another story - I was a passenger in one in Connemara that had a hole in the floor, and lots of other places too, but that wasn't too unusual.  :whistle:[/quote]Ah, the flinstone age!!! lol :nana: :lol:[/quote]

More like pre-Celtic Tiger (and pre-NCT) West of Ireland! :roll:

Back