Grinding Steering wheel

Going to get around to this at some stage this week. Although when i went in to buy the fluid they were offering me red ATF fluid. But mine is blue. Eventually found the correct one for my car. They said they never heard of blue fluid being used in consort for power steering before.

Are you sure it?s power steering fluid your looking at and not coolant as it should be red atf fluid is correct

As soon as we got the cold weather a few weeks ago, my power steering was getting noisy on start up/cold. (2005 legacy)

Hasn't done it since, but I read online that the O ring in th pump is first thing to change if it's not low on fluid

Let me know if that solves it.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Sorry lads yes you're both right. It is in fact red. Looking from the outside of the reservoir made it look blue. Is in fact red and what i bought is red also. I did also read about the O-ring so i picked one up from subaru and will change it soon. While i'm at it i could syringe the old fluid out of the reservoir and replace with new? That the best way to do it?

That's great thanks

Sorry lads yes you're both right. It is in fact red. Looking from the outside of the reservoir made it look blue. Is in fact red and what i bought is red also. I did also read about the O-ring so i picked one up from subaru and will change it soon. While i'm at it i could syringe the old fluid out of the reservoir and replace with new? That the best way to do it?

Jack up the car
-Open fill cap
-Get under car
-Place a pan to catch the fluid under the steering rack lines
-Disconnect hard line from steering rack
-Turn on the car
-Turn the wheel left to right a few times to let the power steering pump out the old fluid
-Turn off the motor
-Turn the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock until all old fluid is done leaking out
-Reconnect steering fluid line
-Fill new fluid
-Turn on the car
-Turn the steering wheel to get the steering pump to suck some of the fluid down
-Continue filling until all air bubbles are out of the line
-Fill to the correct fill line and close the filler cap
-Turn off car
-Remove catch pan from under the car
-Lower car from jackstands
-Done

Well i changed the O-ring out there this morning. But it obviously did not seat in properly, The thread i read said this happened to a few people. Now the power steering pump is whining something fierce. I did buy a spare and have the old one there but too afraid to go at it again. Going to have to get the car down to Ciaran to do it properly and change the fluid while i'm at it. Can i tow an auto or does it do damage at all?

Don?t quote me on that but if you disconnect the driveshaft and put the rear wheels on a dolly, you should be fine. To be 100% safe, get it towed on a flatbed.

Last edited:
Ok so i took the o ring out and put the old one back in. It was a bit pinched and miss shapen. Luckily i bought a spare. No longer leaking from there and topped up the fluid what was lost. PS pump still squeling. Is it ok to drive it like this down to mechanic. About 2km doqn the road. Fluid level is good

Ok so i took the o ring out and put the old one back in. It was a bit pinched and miss shapen. Luckily i bought a spare. No longer leaking from there and topped up the fluid what was lost. PS pump still squeling. Is it ok to drive it like this down to mechanic. About 2km doqn the road. Fluid level is good
Yes be fine to drive by sounds of above and no leaks

Do you have a spare or recon pump ready to go?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

Hey dave no i don't. Do you have 1 that matches the part number pump i have?cheers

Can check tomorrow

But yes i am sure one of the legacy GT breaking has one

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

After topping it up with fluid start the car and turn the Wheels lock to lock that?s full left full right a few time as if it ran low it take a while for the fluid to move around and stop the noise .
But maybe you pump is just Gone but worth a shot

Back