Grinding Steering wheel

Jarocki

Petrolheads
ISDC Club Member
I just noticed the last 2 days when at standstill when turning the wheel in either direction a grinding/metal noise. I don't get any noise or issues when turning while driving. It's quite a bad noise and i'm going to get the car down to Ciaran Larkin later on to check it out.

Pump would whine but not grind unless something loose underneath Ciaran will know :thumbsup:

If pump got one from breakers in UK for impreza few years back 100 euro no issues since

Doesn't sound like pump though

Ciaran will know fairly quickly

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I got the car down to ciaran. He didn't have time to get it up on the ramp today but was a little low power steering fluid. Will want it up on the ramp if i do hear it persist. Will keep an eye on it. Didn't hear the noise on way home.

Also do check the o ring on top of the power steering unit. One 10mm bolt to loosen and be very careful not to lose it or pinch it when reinstalling. They are prone to becomibg hardened over time and then leak. Happened to my car and at slow speeds, the steering was very heavy and would "squeal" too.

Keep us posted [emoji106]

Subaru Impreza Wrx SL Wagon 2004
#hmblwgn
www.instagram.com/hhphoto7

Also do check the o ring on top of the power steering unit. One 10mm bolt to loosen and be very careful not to lose it or pinch it when reinstalling. They are prone to becomibg hardened over time and then leak. Happened to my car and at slow speeds, the steering was very heavy and would "squeal" too.

#hmblwgn

I will check this out. Although it's not a squealing sounds and more of a heavy grinding metal noise and hard to turn the wheel when car is at standstill only. Cheers

If pump got one from breakers in UK for impreza few years back 100 euro no issues since

Doesn't sound like pump though

Ciaran will know fairly quickly

Hey do you have details of where you bought the power steering pump? Subaru Ireland just quoted €1,040 +VAT. :hammerhead: Part number i would be looking for is 34430AG041(old) or 34430AG0419L(New)

Hey do you have details of where you bought the power steering pump? Subaru Ireland just quoted ?1,040 +VAT. :hammerhead: Part number i would be looking for is 34430AG041(old) or 34430AG0419L(New)
https://www.scoobynet.com/market-place-authorised-traders-only-342/

Go down to full cars breaking for spares and pm msg to Mattybr5 no guarantee as second hand but mine worked out fine

Also goes without saying worth checking out first if other pumps fit your car ie impreza ect

And found one in breakers here for my Forester on dd so worth keeping eye out there too

Good luck

Last edited:
https://www.scoobynet.com/market-place-authorised-traders-only-342/

Go down to full cars breaking for spares and pm msg to Mattybr5 no guarantee as second hand but mine worked out fine

Also goes without saying worth checking out first if other pumps fit your car ie impreza ect

And found one in breakers here for my Forester on dd so worth keeping eye out there too

Good luck

Thanks very much just sent him a PM there to see if he has one. Also how would i go about ones that are compatible with my car? I know the legacys were a disaster with part numbers.

Np.

Not 100% mabay he would know about what pumps can be used in your model bang it into Google [emoji106]

Last edited:
There?s a lad breaking a black 2008 legacy on DoneDeal might be worth a shot

I will check this out. Although it's not a squealing sounds and more of a heavy grinding metal noise and hard to turn the wheel when car is at standstill only. Cheers

Start with the easy stuff, tighten belt running power steering pump, same symptoms as my car had, this was the problem, work from there before ordering or buying parts, best of luck????

take of wheels and inspect inner tie rod ends - if the boot on the inner tie rod end perished and sand/dirt got into the assembly, that may cause that noise and difficulty when turning

Check for loose heatshields - could be interfering with the moving parts of your steering rack

#hmblwgn

Hassen. Where did you get the part number for the O-Ring? I cannot find the full part number associated with my power steering pump Old number 34430AG041
New Number 3440AG0419L.

All i can see for the part is 34488B but that was not enough for Noel in Subaru when i rang him.

Their is a place near ballymount that reconditions power steering pumps I got one reconditioned of them for my old legacy was a good few years back and cost between 100-200 if I remember correctly

Cheers for that. I think i got the part number for the O-ring. 34439FG000. So i have it on order. Reading online it appears to be a failing point quite a lot so fingers crossed this will be a cheap fix. What power steering fluid is used in my Legacy GT?

Back