GC8 Timing Belt Questions

cwrx

Sunday Drivers
Hi All as you may know i have a 96 Jap WRX STI that needs a bit of tlc :oops: I have taken into doing the belt kit and have found all 4 cam timing marks are way out when the crank marks are lined up or if the 4 cam marks are lined up like the last lad done with his tippex the crank is out of line? I am a mechanic by trade but never done one of these flat fours before and never seen timing to bet out so far and to have an engine to run and do no damage. is this engine a non interference engine?

20240225_164428.jpg

Attachments

• 20240225_164356.jpg
    20240225_164356.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240225_164428.jpg
    20240225_164428.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Are you looking at the right crank mark on the toothed crank gear . It’s on the back of the pully it’s a line . Lads get confused with the star mark stamped into the front

They are completely wrong

You need to lock the 2 right hand cam pulleys as they are on cam ,
double lines meet each other so inlet cam , double line will be at the bottom, exhaust will be at top , then the single lines inlet facing up , exhaust facing to the right lining up with your back covers

Same with left side but mirrored on your single lines

Make sure your crank isn’t 180 degrees out

When the belt is on and all cams are lined up correctly, turn over a few times slowly to make sure no piston to valve contact

I have sourced a quality timing belt kit from Ali Burrows and hopefully I'll have it for the weekend and get it fitted and get her moving under its own power instead of pushing her about the place 🥵🥵

The marks on the new belt are only a guide for fitting, once you turn it over after lining up , the belt marks never line up again so go by your timing marks on the pulleys and back covers

Did you line up the pulleys after with the 2 lines together at the pulleys nearest point and then see where the tooted crank pulley is at 👍👍 can send you photos if you need

Just went back to the car after the other night and it won't start. Its turning over with a slight attempt at firing. The flash fault code is 13 and I can't find anything clear online as what the fault code might be? Any help. Oh by the way it never ran well from the first time I started it even before doing the timing belt.

Camshaft position sensor from looking online at fault code 13
Thank you for the speedy reply.I seen that as one possible fault as well as many other problems. Do ya think it would have just given up so quick? Would it have been the causes of the pops and bangs i was getting?

If it's lying up a while or has always ran bad as you say and if you're doing plugs I'd put a fuel filter in it too

Back