fmic question

[quote author=collieno link=topic=25172.msg298009#msg298009 date=1279898373]
I have an induction kit that will suit your car and has adaptor to fit with maf, let me know if you want it :subaru:
[/quote]yea cool call me 0872109335 cheers

[quote author=collieno link=topic=25172.msg298009#msg298009 date=1279898373]
I have an induction kit that will suit your car and has adaptor to fit with maf, let me know if you want it :subaru:
[/quote]any one wanna pm collieno for me cos i cant pm ask him ta call me on
just incase he doesn read the thread cheers

[quote author=ker99 link=topic=25172.msg298196#msg298196 date=1279959087]
ill text him there for ya lad :thumbsup:
[/quote] thanks lad

im not taking one lads advice... im a mechanic so am well aware that fitting any mod can damage the engine but to be fair every single impreza ive seen has a exhaust and more then lightly filter without mapping and no major problems and as the fmic is only really running colder air in it should be fine... dont get me wrong all advice is very much appreicated and i do intend to map it eventually but cant afford it at the mo and also would like to gather some other parts ie bigger turbo/injectors first rather than pay for map get turbo and injectors and pay for another map. i just think its easier to fit few bits first and map after

but again thanks for advice everyone

My v5 had an exhaust, de-cat and blitz induction, but it was slow with these mods and every now and again when the throttle was pushed down it would go into safe mode, it really took the enjoyment out of driving it and i could never drive it without thoughts in the back of my mind that she might go bang and not in a good way.

[quote author=Nic spec c link=topic=25172.msg298245#msg298245 date=1279974734]
My v5 had an exhaust, de-cat and blitz induction, but it was slow with these mods and every now and again when the throttle was pushed down it would go into safe mode, it really took the enjoyment out of driving it and i could never drive it without thoughts in the back of my mind that she might go bang and not in a good way.
[/quote]

The only difference there is the V5 are designed to run on 102RON, but at least you can EcuTek the V5. Mick here will have to buy a remappable ecu first or an ESL board then map her. I think the later models are more prone to going into safe mode and hitting fuel cut when they're modded without mapping.

But I'd say it did take the enjoyment out of it and make you a bit paro she'd blow.

[quote author=m3 mick link=topic=25172.msg298243#msg298243 date=1279974113]
im not taking one lads advice... im a mechanic so am well aware that fitting any mod can damage the engine but to be fair every single impreza ive seen has a exhaust and more then lightly filter without mapping and no major problems and as the fmic is only really running colder air in it should be fine... dont get me wrong all advice is very much appreicated and i do intend to map it eventually but cant afford it at the mo and also would like to gather some other parts ie bigger turbo/injectors first rather than pay for map get turbo and injectors and pay for another map. i just think its easier to fit few bits first and map after

[/quote]

As said already you need to get it mapped for the fmic etc

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/839137-fmic-without-remap.html

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=25172.msg298295#msg298295 date=1279989234]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think it is like trying to smell a fart under water Mark, your wasiting your time mate.

[quote author=KENC link=topic=25172.msg298352#msg298352 date=1280001787]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think it is like trying to smell a fart under water Mark, your wasiting your time mate.
[/quote]

I think so

so basically im getting told that scoobys have the shitest engines ever and cant take an inter cooler with out 800 sterling being spent on mapping the fooker first.... Any one wanna buy a fmic or swap my scooby for an evo as my sis has one and didn get it mapped for ages ie when she got the money. And never had a problem with it. Also know several people who ran fairly power full skylines and pulsars and even 1.3 shitcan starlet turbos and the likes without having ta spend 800 first. I know its a chance ta fit the fmic but i was kinda hoping same as the good engine cars that it would be fine as long as i didn drive the bollox out of it before mapping it fmic fitting scrapped for tonight anyway cos i cleaning the car instead

[quote author=m3 mick link=topic=25172.msg298402#msg298402 date=1280025313]
so basically im getting told that scoobys have the shitest engines ever and cant take an inter cooler with out 800 sterling being spent on mapping the fooker first.... Any one wanna buy a fmic or swap my scooby for an evo as my sis has one and didn get it mapped for ages ie when she got the money. And never had a problem with it. Also know several people who ran fairly power full skylines and pulsars and even 1.3 shitcan starlet turbos and the likes without having ta spend 800 first. I know its a chance ta fit the fmic but i was kinda hoping same as the good engine cars that it would be fine as long as i didn drive the bollox out of it before mapping it fmic fitting scrapped for tonight anyway cos i cleaning the car instead
[/quote]

The only way you would know if its okay, is to get the air/fuel ratio checked with a wideband. My brother fittted a fmic to his gt turbo that has a jam ecu which cant be mapped here and he has a aem wideband fitted the air/fuel ratio is fine its been running fine the last 2 years and he drives it on most of the time. They are a good car very reliable even the ones running big power, except for the amount of wheel spin when it cant keep the power down :icon_grin:

You could fit the fmic and go to a dyno and they can check the afr to see if its okay or not :thumbsup:

[/quote]

This above totally contradicts what you say below

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=25172.msg298427#msg298427 date=1280052361]
You could fit the fmic and go to a dyno and they can check the afr to see if its okay or not :thumbsup:
[/quote]

And until you edited it yesterday, you said "Its a disaster waiting to happen"
In one post you say it NEEDS a remap, in the other you say he needs to SEE IF it needs a remap :dontknow:

But yourself and Ken have successfully scared someone away from Subaru ownership :clap:

Steve (hiwd) is running an apexi induction kit, fmic and VF28 without being mapped the last 2 years.
Another friend of mine is running a fmic and induction kit about 3 years without mapping.

This is the last time i'm posting in this thread as its gone silly and no doubt when Ken gets on he'll have another rant with insults flying, so best of luck Mick and sorry how this thread turned out :thumbsup:

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=25172.msg298443#msg298443 date=1280063705]
[/quote]

This above totally contradicts what you say below

[quote author=MarkC link=topic=25172.msg298427#msg298427 date=1280052361]
[/quote]

And until you edited it yesterday, you said "Its a disaster waiting to happen"
In one post you say it NEEDS a remap, in the other you say he needs to SEE IF it needs a remap :dontknow:

But yourself and Ken have successfully scared someone away from Subaru ownership :clap:

Steve (hiwd) is running an apexi induction kit, fmic and VF28 without being mapped the last 2 years.
Another friend of mine is running a fmic and induction kit about 3 years without mapping.

This is the last time i'm posting in this thread as its gone silly and no doubt when Ken gets on he'll have another rant with insults flying, so best of luck Mick and sorry how this thread turned out :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Because i thought it was just the way a subaru is and it needs to be mapped for the fmic due to whats been said about it on other forums by people. My brother told me this morning that if there is enough fuelling there it should be okay. I didnt know that until he told me as i was going by what others were saying about it needs to be mapped etc :question: I apologize if i got it wrong. Thats all im going to say on the matter.

Dont remember insulting you???
You have based your whole mapping not needed theory on 2 of Your mates car being ok for 2 years without it....... which is like the old debate of Smoking kills but your granny smoked all her life and she lived to see 95yrs of age.... Does that mean smoking doesnt kill then?? :ponder2:

I know of 2 people that are running front mount intercoolers and induction kits without issues the past few years, As the MAF is measuring the air entering the engine anyway then its not going to run lean and as i've said before you wont find too much difference in lag at all with a front mount.

You are correct that it will help keep charge temps down. The V1/V2 tmic is very small and the vent shape doesn't help matters, so fitting a front mount will be a major improvment regardless of what speed your doing. You will NOT do any engine damage from fitting a front mount and an induction filter.

Ive never said anywhere that this guys car will definitly blow up if he doesnt get it mapped, nor have i said that if its mapped it definitly wont ever blow up, as i dont know that and no one can predict that.

Will it be safer and have less risk of blowing up with a map for the mods, 100% of course it will. After all i always thought it was a rule of thumb that you if change anything to do with fuel, Air entry or exit and it needs to be tweeked to suit
But you are able to give a definite answer
You will NOT do any engine damage from fitting a front mount and an induction filter.
based on what??? :dontknow: 2 peoples cars, the mappers that say different are just out to make money and anyone that disagrees with you is out for a rant :ponder2:
You seem to be very Anti Mapper, maybe one touched your leg or something in a way that made you feel uncomfortable when you were getting mapped?? :dontknow: :icon_grin:.

You keep going on about me on for a rant and now that i am insulting you, which to me is just your way of backing off the subject, can someone not disagree with what you say??
Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but opinions shouldnt be passed on as fact, which you have done.

I couldnt give a fiddlers f**k if this guys engine last 20 years or blows up tomorrow morning, but i wont mislead him with an opinion i have that could end up damaging his engine, and i dont think you should either .

[quote author=KENC link=topic=25172.msg298446#msg298446 date=1280066837]
Dont remember insulting you???
[/quote]

I do think you called him an angry teenager at some point!! :lol:

This is an age old debate, and we all have formed our own opinions on what is right and wrong,
It is the nature of the forum, that when a lad comes on looking for advice, we will all offer our opinions and he can make his own mind up!
As I said before, you'd have to be a fool (as I have been in the past) to believe any one of our opinions as gospel!
So please keep up the debate, but don't be taking it personally!

[quote author=m3 mick link=topic=25172.msg298402#msg298402 date=1280025313]
so basically im getting told that scoobys have the shitest engines
[/quote]

Alright Mick, No one, but no one said the scoobies have the shitest engines (except Evo drivers maybe)
They are one of the very best engines in terms tunability, character, sound and a layout that lends itself to the whole car having a lower center of gavity and best weight distribution by far then any other car in it's class,
But (in my opinion) you just have to afford them the appropriate respect, you hit the nail on the head a few posts ago when you said about getting a few more together and then mapping, so you are getting your moneys worth!

Dan

another question lads anyone know where ill get an induction pipe for the 96 wrx v limited.... have the filter and piece to connect to maf sensor and gonna make my own cold air feed its just when i remove the air box and fit filter now the abs is in the way so need new pipe so filter sits some where different....
cheers

I wouldn't have a notion,
But someone will, and they'll have you sorted in no time!
Dan

Back