fmic question

not flat out but would prob sit around 100 for few miles daily on way into work just thought intercooler would help with cooling as a start for now till i got it mapped. was un aware that fitting an intercooler without mapping would damage it tho.. was gonna fit it now and map later when i got cash......

V1 to V3 are designed to run on 98RON fuel, so if your running E5 its more than enough as its rated at 98/99Ron.

I know of 2 people that are running front mount intercoolers and induction kits without issues the past few years, As the MAF is measuring the air entering the engine anyway then its not going to run lean and as i've said before you wont find too much difference in lag at all with a front mount.

You are correct that it will help keep charge temps down. The V1/V2 tmic is very small and the vent shape doesn't help matters, so fitting a front mount will be a major improvment regardless of what speed your doing. You will NOT do any engine damage from fitting a front mount and an induction filter.

thanks for clearing that up scoobymanaic. Im well aware that fitting fmic and induction kit will not give much power gain although a proper induction kit alone should give some increase in throttle response as ive had different induction kits on the same car without a mapping. But didn think it had to be mapped to fit them as ive yet ta own a car with out some sort of induction kit being fitted to it and never did any of them any harm not being mapped... I just wasn sure bout scooby.

No bother lad, I've owned 3 scoobies and still have 2. The only one that i've had mapped is a 95wrx with a 2008 2.5 sti block (full spec at the bottom of this post) and that needed to be mapped with all them mods plus i had a re-mappable ecu.

As you've said, you will get a bit better throttle response from an induction kit. Its all about getting the air in and exhaust gases out as quick as possible with the right fueling in between. Your not changing anything that will effect fueling. The engine can just get the air it needs easier but its still measured by the maf. Other things like a walbro pump also don't need a remap, its only a pump, the pressure is regulated by the factory fuel reg so there is no change at all.

There is a lot of opinion about when a remap is needed which i'm not going to get into, but you dont need it yet man :thumbsup:

ill stick the thing on while working sat night so and see how i go from there.. Now i think ill head out ta the wifes car to practice my bumper cutting skills before i touch the scooby haha

:lolpoint: :lolpoint:

Beleive me it s pain in the ass. Loads of cutting and fitting, removing, triming and refitting. The hardest part is getting a straight edge on the bumper. I use an old timing belt, fit the bumper then put the timing belt along the core and mark the bumper, keep working off your straight edge then.

Hope it helps and best of luck :thumbsup:

[quote author=John L. link=topic=25172.msg297952#msg297952 date=1279877017]
Hi Guys what are the benefits from fmic and how much for one for a B4 Legacy 2004 thanks John L.
[/quote]

The benefits are a lower intake air temps over a tmic, and because of this a slight increase in power and a more even power reading. The draw backs are slight bit of lag although I don't find it noticable at all.

I've looked online but can only find a FMIC for the BH5, not the BL5

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=25172.msg297903#msg297903 date=1279840549]
No bother lad, I've owned 3 scoobies and still have 2. The only one that i've had mapped is a 95wrx with a 2008 2.5 sti block (full spec at the bottom of this post) and that needed to be mapped with all them mods plus i had a re-mappable ecu.

As you've said, you will get a bit better throttle response from an induction kit. Its all about getting the air in and exhaust gases out as quick as possible with the right fueling in between. Your not changing anything that will effect fueling. The engine can just get the air it needs easier but its still measured by the maf. Other things like a walbro pump also don't need a remap, its only a pump, the pressure is regulated by the factory fuel reg so there is no change at all.

There is a lot of opinion about when a remap is needed which i'm not going to get into, but you dont need it yet man :thumbsup:
[/quote]

That probably has to be the worst and most careless, reckless advise i have ever seen given out, your basically telling this guy that his engine will be ok, and worst of all he is taking your advise..
Im not going to get into the age old debate about mapping and its principals.
In good scooby spirit i done one search on 22B.COM heres the link
http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=001702#000000
Pavlo, is Paul Blamire of Zen, regarded as a top mapper, if you do a search yourself you will find out what people in the know make of your dilema :thumbsup:

I never insulted your advice Ken and I'm not getting into this debate as I've said above. So feel free to have a rant here on your own

But its totally shocking info that a mapper think people should map their cars, whats the world coming to :icon_blahblah:

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=25172.msg298111#msg298111 date=1279920913]
I never insulted your advice Ken and I'm not getting into this debate as I've said above. So feel free to have a rant here on your own

But its totally shocking info that a mapper think people should map their cars, whats the world coming to :icon_blahblah:
[/quote]

Think i would be more inclined to listen to a mapper over yourself :thumbsup:. There is plenty of posts about this subject if searched on Scoobynet or 22b. com.

So in you conspiracy theory :icon_rolleyes:, Mappers cant be trusted as the advice they give is just simply to drum up business for themselves????????.. :clap:
So Paul Blamire, Andy Forrest, Bob Rawle, Simon, Pat Hebron and the rest dont know what there talking about, are giving false advise, and all to churn up business for themselves?????? :eek7:

M3 mick.. you dont have to take my advise, but do yourself a favour and dont take Scoobymaniacs either, do a few searches on a few other forums mate :thumbsup:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=25172.msg298115#msg298115 date=1279922228]
So in you conspiracy theory :icon_rolleyes:, Mappers cant be trusted as the advice they give is just simply to drum up business for themselves????????.. :clap:
So Paul Blamire, Andy Forrest, Bob Rawle, Simon, Pat Hebron and the rest dont know what there talking about, are giving false advise, and all to churn up business for themselves?????? :eek7:
[/quote]

What can I say to that except, WOW :cuckoo:

You really took me literally when I said have a rant didn't you, well dont let me stop ya now :lol:

I whole heartedly agree with Scoobymaniac and Kenc on this one!
:lol: :lol:
2 of the most vocal and helpful lads on here, :thumbsup: so lets keep it to healthy debate! :thumbsup:

No one 100% knows what's going to happen!
Sure enough, you shouldn't just bolt bits on to a scooby without mapping, But a lot of lads do and they get away with it!
But alot of lads don't get away with it, and scoobies have a bad (unfair) reputation of having chocolate engines!
I'm personally not a fan of front mounts, I've got 454bhp@ 1.6bar out of my turbo which is rated to 475bhp @ 1.8bar!
Still on STI 8 top mount, so she can't be to inefficient,
I know the V1/2 cooler is much smaller, but she only has to deal with half the power,

My advise is go ahead, bolt your bits on! and take your chance, and remap as soon as you can, not just for safety but also for more horse power!
Mapping is the best bang for your buck mod,
I would say, pick yourself up a second hand Type r or new age sti turbo and suitable injectors (both relatively cheap) and map for a very fast and safe car!!

Have fun what ever you do, and I hope she stays safe for you!
Dan

[quote author=Scoobymaniac link=topic=25172.msg298126#msg298126 date=1279924299]
[quote author=KENC link=topic=25172.msg298115#msg298115 date=1279922228]
[/quote]

What can I say to that except, WOW :cuckoo:

You really took me literally when I said have a rant didn't you, well dont let me stop ya now :lol:

[/quote]

You dont have to say anything now , You are right, the world is wrong.
Your a bit like an angry teenager really :545:

Dan, you that have been around.

You will NOT do any engine damage from fitting a front mount and an induction filter.

Is that good, accurate, reliable, proven advice to give to someone that has no knowledge about the subject???

:roll: :roll:
I do like a debate!
I personally wouldn't do any mods without mapping, just to be safe,
But a lot of lads run plenty of mods with out mapping without issue, but as I said, alot of lads do have issues!
This is a forum, with lots of lads with lots of opinions,
Anyone would be a fool to come on here and take any one persons "advice" as gospel!

As I said! yourself and Phil are very helpful lads on here, and it is great (entertaining) when there are interesting debates on here!
I would just try to stay friendly!
Dan

Back