Engine rattle on start up

When starting a car after lying up for a while you really should prime the oil pressure, every drop of oil will have drained to the sump and car could have probably done with 10 or 20 seconds of cranking over to build up oil pressure before you fired her up.

Thanks Ken I probably caused a lot of unnecessary damage ,ya live and ya learn [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully not,
But the rattle you heard is all the extra bit of clearance between different components because a film of oil wasn?t present.

In future pull the crank sensor off and she will turn over without firing, amazingly you possibly will hear a change in the tone of engine as it?s turning over when oil pressure starts to build

Noticed in my blob WRX when started it yesterday it sounded a tad clattery, not bad but more than I was expecting. Give it a slight rev for a few seconds, just a few rpm extra and the noise stopped straightaway. I assume it is just the oil getting around to all, going to order some fresh oil today for it, as not sure what oil was put in it when it was serviced in dealer, around 1k kms ago.

Was not going to worry about it, but should I?

Hopefully not,
But the rattle you heard is all the extra bit of clearance between different components because a film of oil wasn?t present.

In future pull the crank sensor off and she will turn over without firing, amazingly you possibly will hear a change in the tone of engine as it?s turning over when oil pressure starts to build

Which Plug is this? Ill defo be doing that as mine is stored at the minute for a few months

Which Plug is this? Ill defo be doing that as mine is stored at the minute for a few months

Looking head on at the alternator, bottom left area between it and the power steering pump.

attachment.php

If you look at crank pulley, just over it and to the rear of pulley you will see a plug on a sensor, pull that,

Back