Engine rattle on start up

Pablo85

Sunday Drivers
Hello there!

Started the Impreza up after laid up for about 6 weeks
Horrible rattles for about 5 seconds
Then all was good ,let it warm up for a half hour then took it for a goo spin.

Has anyone had this issue with their scooby after it being laid up for some time ??- sounded like there was No oil in the engine - but it?s on the full mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing if your using the good oil your also on the genuine filter
Could just have drained down really well over the long sit if its on the original shell bearings tolerances may be pushing the boundries and oil pump getting tired and slow to prime id be doing oil pressure test hot and cold fairly soon
If you have an issue it would be alot cheaper to sort before its well rattled
Oil pressure test should tell the story if all is good happy days at least you have peace of mind
In saying all of the above i nor anyone else bar you heard this rattle so it could be a feckin A/c pump
Hopefully all is well just dont ignore it

Guessing if your using the good oil your also on the genuine filter
Could just have drained down really well over the long sit if its on the original shell bearings tolerances may be pushing the boundries and oil pump getting tired and slow to prime id be doing oil pressure test hot and cold fairly soon
If you have an issue it would be alot cheaper to sort before its well rattled
Oil pressure test should tell the story if all is good happy days at least you have peace of mind
In saying all of the above i nor anyone else bar you heard this rattle so it could be a feckin A/c pump
Hopefully all is well just dont ignore it

Yea that?s what I was thinking the oil had drained completely down - I should have cranked by hand first .
Wasn?t a bother out of it after this!

Will definitely be getting oil pressure checked.

Sounded like bearings but then who knows - for example - I never knew an ac pump could rattle either!!

Thanks for feedback- I?m well aware I can?t diagnose a cars issue here on the forum just needed some direction before I visit mechanic

I'd say what your hearing is piston slap Paul did you check the oil for gold coloured flakes on the dipstick As this happens when a bearing is breaking up

Definitely check oil pressure to be sure and don?t run it too long until you check it as if it is bearings you?ll just be doing more damage

I'd say what your hearing is piston slap Paul did you check the oil for gold coloured flakes on the dipstick As this happens when a bearing is breaking up

Will check the dipstick later,didn?t notice that yesterday.
The engine jus my sounded very rattled - thinner sound than piston slap if that makes sense? For few seconds then it was pure smooth

Hopefully it?s just that it hadn?t been started in a while

Pray to the lord and baby Jesus Baz [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
It is what is ,if it?s going to go it will go

Update

Checked to oil level several times - no sign of Gold flake bearing deposits.

Started her up ,no slap or knock of any kind running smooth , will get oil pressure checked soon anyway and I may not leave her laying up so long next time lads,thanks for all responses.

Update

Checked to oil level several times - no sign of Gold flake bearing deposits.

Started her up ,no slap or knock of any kind running smooth , will get oil pressure checked soon anyway and I may not leave her laying up so long next time lads,thanks for all responses.

To be honest, nearly every impreza I've had sounds rough on cold start up, a few minutes and all good again, dont panic yet ????

Exactly my thoughts too Kieran [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It was the bleeding clack clack sound for 5 seconds yesterday that got me nearly had a stroke [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Be Grand old cars now if you were in it every day us be hearing different things and get used to it

..do think running em every now and then getting everything up to temp and short spin when off the road helps though uasual checks on oil coolent brake fluid ect and drive it on [emoji106]

Be Grand old cars now if you were in it every day us be hearing different things and get used to it

..do think running em every now and then getting everything up to temp and short spin when off the road helps though uasual checks on oil coolent brake fluid ect and drive it on [emoji106]

That definitely helps alright ,same with the body the older you get you have to keep moving the parts [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Exactly feeling the knocks on rattles myself latley[emoji1]

When starting a car after lying up for a while you really should prime the oil pressure, every drop of oil will have drained to the sump and car could have probably done with 10 or 20 seconds of cranking over to build up oil pressure before you fired her up.

Back