are subaru reliable?

marksscooby

Petrolheads
hello lads,

i am new to this forum buying a subaru impreza sti v5 99 coupe soon, i want to ask someone about a impreza before i buy it. a mechanic told me subaru give a lot of trouble, with engine rebuilds and weak bottom ends is this true? have any of ye had trouble with imprezas? can i get it remapped to run on ron 95 without octane?

thanks from mark

Hey Mark Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Irish/UK Subaru's are excellent and really give no trouble once
serviced regularly.

Jap imports like your's are a little more prone to things going bang,
but you have hit the nail on the head "re-mapp".

That's the main cause for engine failure in Jap Import Subaru's lads get them in
and don't re-map for Irish Fuel.

Use the search engine for loads of info on "re-map's"

Our Contact some of the club sponsors.

http://www.streetperformance.ie/

or

http://www.stituning.net/

Both can get your car mapped by some of the best Mappers
in the UK

Niall.

Welcome along Mark, you will probably get loads of responses to this but here's a starter for you.
They're no less reliable than any other car, obviously depends on how hard you drive it. If you're constantly red-lining it then yes you are risking early retirement from Subaru ownership.
My car is mapped to give low-down boost, ie. delivers most of power upto 6k rpm so not worth holding onto the gear much past this point so another safety feature.
Yes you can have it mapped for plain 95 octane fuel but will suffer hugely in bhp terms. Definitely adviseable to remap for 95 + booster or new Maxol E5 (99 octane) if its available in your locality.

Hows it goin Mark,

To be honest, yes, they are very reliable, but only if you do the following.

1) Service the car on a very regular basis, with only the best oils and OE parts.

2) If its a Jap import, get it mapped for our fuel, only using Maxol E5 petrol, with booster if you want.

3) Don't bounce the car off the rev limiter.

4) Check your oil levels every week, top up if needed.

5) Don't try to do donuts ;) too often, as this can cause oil starvation and kill the engine.

6) Enjoy the car.

Best of luck.

Alan

Welcome along mark... :thumbsup:
As above lad scoobys are just like normal cars,it just depends on the driver if ya hammer the shite out of it all the time...well its not going to last... :thumbsup:
As Nial said to if its a jap get her mapped for our fuel...but in the mean time when you get her run her on maxols E5...NOT E85...and ya should be fine...till ya start doing the mods.... :D :D

Yeah Scoobyke has a few things done alright, have a look at the bottom of his posts to get a list

[quote author=marksscooby link=topic=4637.msg49504#msg49504 date=1197915944]
hi alan how r u? what type of subaru do you drive? :ponder:
[/quote]

STI V5 Impreza Wagon and a Forester Turbo.

I have a 99 jap import since febuary. got it mapped for 95RON and havin no problems at all with it, best car i've ever owned :subaru:

Ive a 98 V5 Sti type R since september and no major problems, just wear and tear as you'd expect on a 9 year old car.
I have mine remapped for 95 plus booster or E5.
I had to replace ignition coil pack €235
Anti roll bar drop links(still not fitted them) €110
Gear box linkage bushings need replacing approx €60
Rocker cover gasket's need replacing as they are causing slight oil leak but only cost about €20
Its just having the time in winter without much daylight to get things done.
Its a hobby and i enjoy fixing the problems myself with help off the lads here
:thumbsup:

Welcome along mark! :thumbsup:
Enjoy the club! If you ever have any questions just start a new thread and lads will be fall over themselves to help!
Great choise with the V5 type r! It's one of my favourates!
Check out the members car blogs for a few ideas what you can do with her! :headbanger:
And it's very important that you run her on maxol E5 preferably with NF or lucas booster untill you get her mapped!
Dan

welcome along to the club and as the lads have said if you get the car mapped and look after it you shouldnt have any problems so far the subaru's are the 3rd most reliable car

Back