Apexi Power FC questions

O

Omeara_darragh

Apexi Power FC,

Lads I'm gonna be getting one of these for my 96 STI wagon in the next week or so but I have a few questions before I do.

Will this if mapped properly allow me to run normal irish 95 RON petrol safely??

What is the commander for?

Who should I get to map it?? I have spoken to Extreme autos, TTM, Westward Eng, Renno555. Apart from Renno who I know gets decent mappers from the uk to do his work ar eany of the rest of these lads any good and has anyone any previous experience?? No vested interests here please?

Will this remove the speed limiter?

When fitted what can I expect from my car?? I dont want massive power gains just a nice safe car..

Well the apexi replaces your existing ecu,therefore can get a lot more safer power from your engine,yes its then mapped for our crap fuel..all though run it wit octane booster(lucas),and then your motor will run alot safer,it will also remove the de-limiter,but when you do this remove all your cat,get a full de-cat from turbo back,and change the intake filter too..

as above.......

and no wouldn't want any of the above near my car...

renno mappers from UK is best option..

Omearagh Darragh
Renno Gets AndyF over from the UK who is one of the best over there.

Oherwise Martin Tracey would be fine for say a nice safe map for 95RON
with small power gains.

I wouldn't use anyone elese !!!!

You can run the car on 95 RON no prob's most here use octane booster to help
achive more bhp :D

The commander: hand held device, v.good in my opion, you have your own diagnostic tool for
monitoring sensors, you can change boost levels , set a a rev limiter, handy if your wife/girlfriend/mother wants to
drive your car :lol: :lol: You can monitor just about everything your engine is doing or more importantly what it shouldn't
be ie. KNOCK etc.........

It would be advisable to remove the cats and new air filter like the lads said . Leave it at that, map for 95RON and you'll be very happy,
with a safe & sound engine.

Niall.

I was intending on going to Renno for the mapping day to have this unit mapped but now I've hit 2 brick walls..

1. The fella who was selling me the unit decided that because these are apparently discontinued he wants more bucks for it...

2. Renno555's mapping day applies only if I get the ECU from him, Fair enough I can understand his reasons would probably do the same myself.

From what I hear Martin Treacy is supposedly fairly handy at making these cars safe for 95 RON so it looks like I'll have to go with him failing that I'll have to travel to the UK to wherever Andy forrest does his mapping.

What are the benifits from removing the cat? and changing the fuel pump? I already have a performance panel filter fitted in the airbox.

Finally is there any other ECU units or better methods of making this car safe on 95 RON?? At the end of the day all I'm looking for is a safe car on the 95 RON and not something that is gonna blow up if I nail it. I'm not looking for more power as the car is stupidly fast as it stands and anyway its gonna be a daily drive so it needs to be someway practical for me to drive.

If its just a safe fuel map you need id say the likes of Adam in TTM would be one of the better priced places.

Thats if you can get hold of them...........

TTM jokers my opinion........... 3 months waiting on a loom and still can't get in touch...

good man dave. :lol: :lol:

this is true.i once rang ttm about usin the motec system as i really wanted anti-lag.i asked him if it popped and banged and he started making the noises down the far end of the phone.i nearly fell off the seat laughing

i asked him to do it again but he wouldnt :lol: :lol:

@darragh.in fairness to rennos last post better priced should be underlined...........ya get what ya pay for and afterall its your subaru and its a job for life.
:thumbsup:

[quote author=six spoke clive link=topic=2454.msg22583#msg22583 date=1180418104]

this is true.i once rang ttm about usin the motec system as i really wanted anti-lag.i asked him if it popped and banged and he started making the noises down the far end of the phone.i nearly fell off the seat laughing

i asked him to do it again but he wouldnt  :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup:
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

as above, i wudnt trust TTM havent heard anyting good off lads that have gone to him, i have a apexi power fc to fit your car if u want Darragh

Darragh as said go with Martin Tracey
might be a little more €€€€'s but at least you know he's good.

AS for the cat's they are very restrictive so take them out.
Fuel pump & fuel regulator not needed if you are only looking for a map to run
on 95RON but would be recommended if your looking for more BHP etc.

Niall.

IN fairness to TTM they had a lot of problems when they changed premisis they couldnt get the water pressure to run the dyno properly and this set them way back..they strung me along for ages aswell but..technical problems are one thing but customer service leaves a lot to be desired

Can anyone tell me which model apexi I need? I have a 1996 sti wagon, Chassis is GF8 and the engine is an EJ20 K. I'm looking at a second ahnd one and dont wanna buy one that wont fit. Oh and by the way my ECU has 3 plugs if that makes a difference

I think getting one second hand would be almost impossible, i think they are different for almost every model of car. I could be wrong though. I was looking to get one, then i was thinking i would convert my car to e85 fuel instead, now im not so sure. HAve you seen them for sale second hand, if so at what kind of price?

[quote author=Omeara_darragh link=topic=2454.msg22750#msg22750 date=1180543203]
Can anyone tell me which model apexi I need? I have a 1996 sti wagon, Chassis is GF8 and the engine is an EJ20 K. I'm looking at a second ahnd one and dont wanna buy one that wont fit. Oh and by the way my ECU has 3 plugs if that makes a difference
[/quote]

There are 2 types for the 1996.

If your chassis number is GF8C??? then you need the 414-AF001 Power FC (this has been discontinued)
If your chassis number is GC8D??? then you need the 414-AF005 Power FC

Hi Darragh,

You may also want to try Robbie in TDP.ie, 0404 62650, autorised Motec dealer

He can do a Group N motec for 3k with individual injector control, boost control and ignition control, eliminate knock and increase power.

Motec ecu replaces the existing, no piggy back rubbish and is the same size as the orignal so it fits perfect.

All done on the dyno, so its a controled enviroment, no tyre interface for better reading and a print out of the curves at the end.

I asked him about my MY02 and he said he can pull 380hp on the standard car, no noisey de-cat or back box, just holding 1.4 bar to 8k revs, with a specified amount of extra fuel pumped into cylinder 3 to stop it blowing up. And the ignition mapped obviously.

Sound the dogs to me, just saving up at the moment.

Give him a shout, he's difficult to get but knows his sh*t.. doesn;t do dodgey body kits or useless lights and ICE, just interested in engines

Whatever you do though, steer clear of TTM in galway, I've seen a blown up Evo 6 in TDP that came from Them and they were brutal, even their printout was done on excel and all guessed, it showed 200hp at 1.5k revs, not on boost!!!! :thumbsup: what a load od sh1te

Cheers,

Cill

Back