Anyone know why No Wrx Model avaliable Uk/Ireland?

Ciaran WRX

ISDC Club Member
Thought this might be a good descussion to get going here talking to few lads here before bout the club and where it's going someone made a good point we will become like the Morris car club as no new cars being bought here number will and have naturally gone down as we all know very few daily driven Subarus around now.

bbec63e3e75b7d798f83819e6bb650cd.jpg

As we know Subaru has done a great job on totally turning there back on there rally hertage in Europe since for the last few years.

Especially in Ireland where last Sti Hatches were sold in 2008? 8 long years ago.

They do seem to have a intrest in the Wrx/Sti & Brz in the states with a healthy following along with all the boring stuff we get here.

Now Makes sence we dont get the 2016 Sti coz of our Stupid tax think one be round 2400 to tax per year vs 400 Gbp in the uk.

UK Gets Wrx Sti 2.5 New model
But No new model Wrx with the new Fa20 2.0?

Big oversight I think as the Wrx would have to be a good bit cheaper and more accessible to new car buyers less hardcore and I'm guessing cleaner (ie actually able to tax one here) than the 2.5? Also Fa20 be a great Base for a few choice mods..

Also why they not shoved the Fa20 into the Levorg and sell it as the new WRX Wagon that would be a cool car

Anyway be intrested to hear the opinions from other Subaru nerds like me ????
c7b04620f07f91eb6e2e7ffa8b8a76b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Irish market is too small to be taken under consideration by the car makers. How many hatches were sold in Ireland? I know of about 5. When you combine this with aggressive hostile government policies against sports cars I could predict that in the near future we all will be driving vans and micras. Subaru is small car maker and normally is directing their attention to the biggest market. I personally believe the things are different in UK. Whoever was part of the Charity run saw how many brand new Sti were there which goes to show that If you don't have added VRT and crazy tax system plus out of control Insurance plague the new STI's would be far more attractive and financially accessible to a wider range of people.

Yes Tommy very few hatchs but that was just a example of the last intresting Imprezas sold here.. we all know the Issues here tax/ins & Gov wise

But new model have to be much lower on Co2? So possible to tax here

But the uk there's a huge following for performance cars they really love there cars and buy loads of hot metal so question is why no Fa20 WRX and I could be wrong but don't this it's for sale anywhere in Europe

Real missed opportunity imo

Wonder is there a issue with it..

Last edited:
Why bother for such a low volume market would be the thinking in the board rooms of subaru ireland and probably in Japan 2 .

We only ever got the same models as the UK anyway so when the greens funked up our motor tax rates on us the 2.5 became a no go area. Even a 1080 quid is bad enough on pre July 2008 cars .but even at that how many hatches were sold here probably a max of 10 and even how many hawks did they sell be they WRX or STI . Would there be 100 of them original Irish cars from new ? I doubt it .

Personally the new WRX or WRX STI isn't different enough from there counterparts from 2006/7 . Like same ej25 motor same box and diffs brakes etc and all that plus an email ugly faceless jap box wouldn't warrent the asking price . Especially when you see what ford are doing with the rs .

Subaru are past their sell by date with current models imo with exception of the brz . And if your honest at 40k it's not exactly value for money when you consider an awd turbo charged WRX cost simular new but had so much more practicality ie 4 seats decent boot and was useable every day .

Even if I won a million quid I couldn't say I'd buy a new sti as there is better stuff on the market for the purchase price never mind the mpg or road tax or the premature death of many 2.5's already showing in 15 and 16 models in UK . Golf r ,focus rs , even octavia vrs 230 4x4 are more like reasonable propositions imo.

Dead brand in ireland very much like the Morris minor.

Is the fa20 fitted to any jdm models or even in Australia models . Just wondering is it a left hand drive market only thing or what because it doesn't make sense not to have it here if it's a better motor .

Not to sure man.

Know Fa20 270 bhp 2.0 think equal headers and twin scroll too fitted in all new 4dr wrx since model revamp sold in USA Canada Australia and New Zealand as far as I know

Jdm Sti over 300 bhp 2.0 not sure is it the same Fa20 but modified?

Last edited:
Wikipedia

This model is the first of the WRX line to deviate from the EJ-series engine. It uses the new 2.0-liter FA20F engine, which has direct injection and a twin-scroll turbocharger. On all previous WRXs the turbocharger was located near the right-hand side of the firewall, close to the third cylinder. With the new FA20F, Subaru fitted the turbocharger at the front of the car, close to the serpentine accessory belts. There is a robust aluminum skid plate that protects the underside of the turbocharger. Mounting the turbo lower in the engine bay helps reduce the car's center of gravity to 19.5 inches (500 mm).[58]

Behind the wheel, the most noticeable difference between the EJ and FA engines is the latter's broader torque curve. The 2.5L EJ produced a maximum of 240 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm, while the new 2.0L FA peaks twice as soon (258 lb-ft at 2,000 rpm) the FA is rated at 268 hp at 5,600 rpm.

And according to wiki Jdm Sti retains ej207

the 2.0-liter EJ207 that is standard for Japanese STI's has been retained specifically for the Japanese market in the new 2015 WRX STI

Last edited:
Subaru takes there ques from markets like America, Australia and Asia Europe doesn't even come into it as it's not a high volume car drive around any place in Australia or America and see how many are on the road they are like a golf or a focus there so many. Unfortunately we will never be catered for in subarus marketing strategy

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

The WRX S4 uses the new FA20 S4 takes Subaru’s new FA engine to power levels near the beloved old EJ that’s still doing duty in the STI. Fuji Heavy Industries has managed to wring 296 horsepower and 295 lb-ft from the new engine.

Nice car there

24716abacb2bea6717916f10d12703ab.jpg
bfc85f99c90a4d5205eed4151205cdcf.jpg
c7cc0bfd1fb96dfe8334ea992b4dbead.jpg
022f21e0acb9e9f9622760777dcef2bd.jpg

Why are Subaru not bothered giving Europe the new technology ?

And fact the above engine (wrx) is sold in usa/Canada Australia and New Zealand means should be avaliable here/uk? Too ...

Last edited:
Too small a market they will run out the euro spec cars and then maybe we will get it

Yea say your right...

They need to stuff that engine into the Levorg Dec I can think of 1 customer straight away ????????

I'd love if subaru would do the fa turbo low emissions manual in saloon hatch and estate they would get a good customer Base from that

As far as my investigations went, the FA engine is still about 190g/km of Co2, which still brackets it over 1000yoyos to tax per year.

Problem is, its not that subaru wouldnt want, its that the official retailers wont even order them because there is no point. You can get 300hp BMW with half that Co2 contains, and WRX for normal ppl just isnt an option.

The VRT in this ****ed up country is just making it ridiculously overpriced car, which has no comfort, nor powerband in comparison with other cars that are after VRT priced similarly.

Random Irish Paddy gives 0 flying ****s about low centre of gravity and AWD. Random Irish Paddy wants to drive that 316i bmw that at least looks expensive.

Edit: If my memory serves well, someone here asked in Carrol and Roche about getting the new STI, they offered that they can deliver them on customer's behalf, but the price was nearing 50k yoyos. Thats waaay overpriced as the suggested retail price is about 35k yoyos.

Last edited:
Ireland is tiny market for Subaru so don't think it would even register when decisions been made about what to make for what market

I'm a big Subaru fan but just couldn't pay 2350 tax per year when changing car earlier this year.

Agree most Irish want beemers, audis or Volkswagens. Look how successful golf r is. Not saying they all don't make great motors but sti 60k plus and 2350k pa. mad

Agree wrx probably be too pricey compared to competition too

Yea totally agree Paul with all said there big Subaru fan also but the point I was looking to make was how come the new gen wrx isn't for sale in UK or Europe at all as that was the market that got em way back since the Turbo 2000 and how it's a major missed opportunity for subaru and Subaru potential buyers and future buyers of brand

Yes here unless u buy a vag skoda or toyota deizel your a nut job in most people's eyes

The yanks love em

Zheiko where u getting rrp of wrx 35? Ya mad thing sure not for sale anywhere and 50 for a sti? Sure hatch was round 60 plus back in 08

Last edited:
Yea totally agree Paul with all said there big Subaru fan also but the point I was looking to make was how come the new gen wrx isn't for sale in UK or Europe at all as that was the market that got em way back since the Turbo 2000 and how it's a major missed opportunity for subaru and Subaru potential buyers and future buyers of brand

Yes here unless u buy a vag skoda or toyota deizel your a nut job in most people's eyes

The yanks love em

Zheiko where u getting rrp of wrx 35? Ya mad thing sure not for sale anywhere and 50 for a sti? Sure hatch was round 60 plus back in 08

Swedish website was 37k yoyos for sti, german sites are starting at 40k didnt check any others.

I said as far as I remembered, might have it wrong there, but remember it was stupidly high. Most likely even higher than mine said 50k.

True though, WRX is not available anywhere i europe, weird. Hopefuly next gen will make its appearance in europe too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Maybe no European "type" approval?

... and too few projected sales to warrant the expense of going through the full testing and approval process? :dontknow:

Ah ok if it doesn't show up in Europe for next gen we all better get or metal AA badges and join a "Bowl" in Club ????

Think you hit the nail on the head there Charles went through USA aproval and didn't bother with Europe ????

From Subaru Sti FB page

Is the Hatch back?

And with the FA20 Sti Engine...

2c8b6d6474cd81acff6048719d1ccda4.jpg
3f7a7221e771698268d193bffd8fad24.jpg
80931a5ea9215ec19d2e60388b896d8e.jpg

Back