95 Octane Fuel

Good man, I reckon you might get a few more orders after this discussion.

Hi

Some excellent info here, I have just picked up my 02 Bug eye ( Pics comming soon ) I would like to get a re - mapp sorted, Do we know if Andy is coming over again soon, Or is a trip to scotland looking likley?? , how long did you guys run on 95 before the re - mapp ??

Cheers

Niall

Hey Niall. I have Andy over again in Jan if you want to send me a PM.

Damo

yea, its good topic allright, as far as i know renno555 has the lucas in stock now if your in hurry for it, as far as v power is concerned i have heard that the cleaning agents may affect and weaken octane booster, i am not sure do... i did get vpower leaflet out of shell and it said it woul clean the engine and all the usual sht, but is only 95oct so i cant see any benefit in using it over standard 95.. on the evos power figures, octane booster would never give same power as full 98oct petrol etc.. if i have it right octane booster only really limits the chance of detenation where a high octane petroll limits detenation, but aswell is more combustable, giving a bigger bang.... as far as people not wanting to spend money on octane booster, i think that is a generalisation, the white v6 sti that Dave Lewis has now is my old car, and it cost me a lot of money, it got everything it ever wanted service and sensor wise, i spent my money on tuning it up aswell... but not because i was too mean or didnt have the money to buy booster, i just wasnt arsed putn it into it, i got it mapped foe 95 and it was excellant, i was able to pull in and fill up with 95 like someone driving a punto or something.. and i would definitly be hard set to do it different next time.. Damo drove the car when Dave got it first and he couldnt beleive the go that was in it on 95oct, i now have Daves old bugeye which is mapped for lucas, and like everyone else i throtted along and bought my couple of cases of booster off Damo, but it is a focking pain in the ring piece having to use it, not because im too tight and dont want to spend money but like RB i like a driveable car that i can jump into and go and not have to think of bringing booster, and same goes for filling up.. there is alot to be said for a car that can use normal 95oct... i would advise any one doing the same mods as i done and wanting same power to map for 95oct. those mods were ,straight through system, fuel pump, green panel filter, 7b plugs Andy F map, 1.25 bar boost and hey presto you have a quick reliable car that will eat the arse of these big fmic big turbo machines on any typical irish bendy road which is what they were built for ....especially DAMOS :D ... i think for tare'n around and the odd quite road drag and every day driver, the spec i had was good enough and for the organised drag events the fmic and big turbos are the way to go

[quote author=KENC link=topic=595.msg4931#msg4931 date=1161731225]
yea, its good topic allright, as far as i know renno555 has the lucas in stock now if your in hurry for it, as far as v power is concerned i  have heard that the cleaning agents may affect and weaken octane booster, i am not sure do... i did get vpower leaflet out of shell and it said it woul clean the engine and all the usual sht, but is only 95oct so i cant see any benefit in using it over standard 95..  on the evos power figures, octane booster would never give same power as full 98oct petrol etc.. if i have it right octane booster only really limits the chance of detenation where a high octane petroll limits detenation, but aswell is more combustable, giving a bigger bang.... as far as people not wanting to spend money on octane booster, i think that is a generalisation, the white v6 sti that Dave Lewis has now is my old car, and it cost me a lot of money, it got everything it ever wanted service and sensor wise, i spent my money on tuning it up aswell... but not because i was too mean or didnt have the money to buy booster, i just wasnt arsed putn it into it, i got it mapped foe 95 and it was excellant, i was able to pull in and fill up with 95 like someone driving a punto or something.. and i would definitly be hard set to do it different next time.. Damo drove the car when Dave got it first and he couldnt beleive the go that was in it on 95oct, i now have Daves old bugeye which is mapped for lucas, and like everyone else i throtted along and bought my couple of cases of booster off Damo, but it is a focking pain in the ring piece having to use it, not because im too tight and dont want to spend money but like RB i like a driveable car that i can jump into and go and not have to  think of bringing booster, and same goes for filling up.. there is alot to be said for a car that can use normal 95oct... i would advise any one doing the same mods as i done and wanting same power to map for 95oct. those mods were ,straight through system, fuel pump, green panel filter, 7b plugs Andy F map, 1.25 bar boost and hey presto you have a quick reliable car that will eat the arse of these big fmic big turbo machines on any typical irish bendy road which is what they were built for ....especially DAMOS :D ... i think for tare'n around and the odd quite road drag and every day driver, the spec i had was good enough and for the organised drag events the fmic and big turbos are the way to go
[/quote]

LOL Im not going to reply to that Ken :lol:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=595.msg4931#msg4931 date=1161731225]
yea, its good topic allright, as far as i know renno555 has the lucas in stock now if your in hurry for it, as far as v power is concerned i have heard that the cleaning agents may affect and weaken octane booster, i am not sure do... i did get vpower leaflet out of shell and it said it woul clean the engine and all the usual sht, but is only 95oct so i cant see any benefit in using it over standard 95.. on the evos power figures, octane booster would never give same power as full 98oct petrol etc.. if i have it right octane booster only really limits the chance of detenation where a high octane petroll limits detenation, but aswell is more combustable, giving a bigger bang.... as far as people not wanting to spend money on octane booster, i think that is a generalisation, the white v6 sti that Dave Lewis has now is my old car, and it cost me a lot of money, it got everything it ever wanted service and sensor wise, i spent my money on tuning it up aswell... but not because i was too mean or didnt have the money to buy booster, i just wasnt arsed putn it into it, i got it mapped foe 95 and it was excellant, i was able to pull in and fill up with 95 like someone driving a punto or something.. and i would definitly be hard set to do it different next time.. Damo drove the car when Dave got it first and he couldnt beleive the go that was in it on 95oct, i now have Daves old bugeye which is mapped for lucas, and like everyone else i throtted along and bought my couple of cases of booster off Damo, but it is a focking pain in the ring piece having to use it, not because im too tight and dont want to spend money but like RB i like a driveable car that i can jump into and go and not have to think of bringing booster, and same goes for filling up.. there is alot to be said for a car that can use normal 95oct... i would advise any one doing the same mods as i done and wanting same power to map for 95oct. those mods were ,straight through system, fuel pump, green panel filter, 7b plugs Andy F map, 1.25 bar boost and hey presto you have a quick reliable car that will eat the arse of these big fmic big turbo machines on any typical irish bendy road which is what they were built for ....especially DAMOS :D ... i think for tare'n around and the odd quite road drag and every day driver, the spec i had was good enough and for the organised drag events the fmic and big turbos are the way to go
[/quote]

hi Ken,

what myself and Andy were talking about were people who spent thousands on mods and then whinged about the price of booster. i wasnt having a go at anybody who didnt use booster as its your choice, all we were saying is that the power available from your car is limited by the octane of the fuel your using. if you were happy with the power you had on 95RON then happy days. i wasnt having a go at anybody just some peoples reaction to the price of octane boost is ridiculous compared to how much they spend on other mods.
what Andy was complaining about was this lad spent a fortune on mods and wanted big power and Andy got as much power as he could out of the 95Ron juice, he was whinging about the PRICE of booster to Andy and didnt want to use it.
Andy eventually talked him into using it coz he was at the max he could get out of 95 and the difference was huge when he put booster in it.
if you were happy with the power your car produced on 95 then happy days if thats what ya wanted. :thumbsup:

George

i kinda had more or less the same chat with Andy when he was mapping my old car, but the point i was trying to make and maybe give a bit of advice aswell (i might a swell, everyone else does) :D... i think taht people should identify the power they want to realistically want to achieve and in my case with the spec i had i came up against a big barrier, i had achieved the most i could, and the next step was booster and An dy said not really worth it if i was happy with way it was as it was only going to be 10 to 15bhp, the mods to this point were reasonable but to go the next bit was big.. basically i was talking.. td05 18g.... fmic... adj pressure reg..... induction kit....remap with booster.. and i wayed it up and for prob an extra 50bhp and a car that the power may not of been as accesable in i was happy with what i had and decided to stay that spec

i understand that booster is a cheap mod and that for lads spending thousands on mods and whinging is a bit silly but on the same hand i understand why they feel this way, you spend 2 grand on turbo , you hand out the lump sum and your finished with it.. where booster is a constant every week out going pain in the hole and inconvinience, you have the hassle of having the bottle, making sure you have it with you and when the supplier runs out for week or two your foked, thats the reason i think people complain

this is making for great reading and advice lads  :cheers: every forum has an on-going debate on this topic with no information! I have to side with Ken though and his reasoning, if its a daily driver it really is more convenient to pull in, fill up and off you go and for the sake of 15-20bhp i dont think its worth the hassle, I mean in all fairness very few (if anyone) with a turbo/sti use the full potential/capabilities of the car on a day to day bases...right?? (maybe im getting old :lol:)
like ye said if your spending big €s on turbos and FMIC trying to get the most out of the car then yes it would not make sense not to be using it, but for the basic mods of filter and exhaust etc i would say no.
I think learning the car and make the most of what you have is wiser + spending money on handling and brakes is what i would do first before big bhp.

:thumbsup:

My turn, my turn :p

In relation to mapping, would it not be better to get 2 maps? One to run on 95 and one to run on 95 + Booster?
That way if your just sitting in a traffic jam (ie the M50) you can use the 95 map and then when your looking to give it a rip, fill up with booster and use the 2nd map :ponder: :dunno:

My 2 cents worth anyway :whistle:

Alan.

[quote author=B4 Alan link=topic=595.msg5001#msg5001 date=1161812790]
My turn, my turn :p

In relation to mapping, would it not be better to get 2 maps? One to run on 95 and one to run on 95 + Booster?
That way if your just sitting in a traffic jam (ie the M50) you can use the 95 map and then when your looking to give it a rip, fill up with booster and use the 2nd map :ponder: :dunno:

My 2 cents worth anyway :whistle:

Alan.
[/quote]

thats what im hoping to do when i get mine done except il get the second map for 101 (track days) if its possible of coarse, Damien......?

Well it certainly looks like this post is hitting a few nerves. I think Alan is right however, if I was going back again I would go for a Commander or similar set up whereby you could select your map according to your need or booster availability. If I do hang on to my RB that's what I'll do, that and an Aquamist WI system which is what I had wanted to do in the first place (long story).

That said though, one thing that nobody seems to pay any attention to on here is torque. One of the posts above correctly states that most of us never use the full, absolute potential of our cars (least of all while sitting on the M50 Alan, if you're getting det at idle you really have problems) however, nobody seems to remember the relationship between torque and horsepower. Since I've had RB up for sale I get fairly steady questions about HP, nobody ever asks about torque.

Outside of handling, the biggest, single most distinguishing feature about our cars is the way they pull, and that is down to one thing, torque.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have driven lots of normally aspirated high performance cars, Hondas, M3s, 911s etc and none of them deliver that slug of torque that we all know and love. Yet, we are all pre-occupied with HP, which makes no sense really.

Take the M3, we are all the time compared to this 340 HP GT in motoring rags, however nobody mentions the fact that the M3 is producing only 260 lb/ft of torque and that is at 5000 rpm. Your average STI (mapped obviously) is producing as much torque at 3500 rpm and holding it until the turbo runs out of puff at 6500. While the M3 will keep going to 7500 odd, and accordingly produce more horsepower, I have to say, from behind the wheel, the Imprezas feel quicker.

What has this got to do with octane? Well simple, we are all preoccupied (myself included) with headline power figures and how our cars' max power figures are affected by octane/booster/ignition advance. None of us seem to consider that what is actually important, ie how our cars feel and drive, is more affected by other factors such as general setup and mapping. Higher octane will obviously help improve max torque, but not as much as it will improve max hp and really, it is the torque that you feel.

In short, again my advice is to set the car up so that it feels right and is safe and only worry about max hp if you are doing quarters or lap times. Otherwise, if it feels right and doesn't knock, happy days (just don't go near the rollers).

well said RB, having a good spread of torque (especially low down) makes for a much better road car IMO.
sorry for going off topic :doh:

alan is right. power fc and commander and get the car mapped for booster and no booster and change over whenever ya like.

@oisin

was thinking of using WI in my car and Andy advised me against it as he says it does nothing really. dont know as ive never used it but will definitely go with Andy and not bother. so am just going to run NOS and TD06 turbo

George

[quote author=tractorman link=topic=595.msg4997#msg4997 date=1161811354]
BUY A BOX OF 12,THATS 36 TANK FULLS,LEAVE THEM IN THE BOOT,NO HASSLE REALLY. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Its probably too much hassle having to open the boot,then open the box, then open the bottle and then pour it in the tank and then put the bottle in the bin.  that would take at least an hour id say :lol: :lol:

George

thats what im hoping to do when i get mine done except il get the second map for 101 (track days) if its possible of coarse, Damien......?

Cant have two FULL maps on the power fc. Just a low boost on the 95 then high boost on the 102. Then map the high boost areas of the map for the 102 if I have it right.

well said rb :clap:, if you cud get the torque figure to match your bhp figure then your motoring. :lol:. torque is what you want plenty off, it makes power so accesible, on the m3 front rb, by any cahance have you ever dragged against one???? try an m3 evo e36 some time and see how a mapped sti with exhaust and more boost will do, unfortunently you will be able to tell him at the end if all his brake lights are working :wall: in dry takes off as good as 4 wheel drive and just pulls, has no low range slow spot or never runs out of steam. limited to 155 mph i might add, reckond to be good for 170-180mph

No, never have dragged against one I have to admit, I know Clarkson put an Evo, a 22B (or P1 I can't honestly remember which) and an M3 together and the M3 won. The other two were in front until 80 odd and then the power of M3 won out. I never said the STI was quicker, I said it feels quicker and that is what is important in every situation other than an out and out drag.

I drive my car everyday and honestly, I've only ever had maybe a dozen 'off the lights' in my time, and the biggest result I've had from those was the guilt/shame of actually participating.

Evo tested the following cars from 0-100 and found as follows:

1. M3 12.3 sec.

2. Porsche 996 (3.4) 12.0 sec.

3. Porsche 997S 10.9 sec.

4. Impreza P1 13.3.

5. 22B 13.1.

6. RB5 (WR) 14.1.

7. Evo 8 FQ 340 10.9.

Of the above cars I own both the joint fastest (although at €130k plus in the difference between the FQ and the 997s, it's hardly a tie) and the slowest (RB5) and, as I have said before, subjectively in terms of performance there is very little in it.

My point is, it doesn't matter about the times and the HP, it's the manner of the delivery and the reliability of the delivery that counts.

Final words on the subject, get a good car, map it safely to your needs, and enjoy.

Back