2020 Toyota GR Yaris detailed - plus our prototype drive

Stupidly wide at the back and probably undriveable anywhere But sure it Probley on air but not for me

I see Apex at nurburgring blew up the engine in there Yaris GR from a suspected miss shift

Scoobyclinic Chesterfield

160136475_2199585736845539_3416790078180951645_o.jpg

Tuning the Yaris GR, our findings so far.
Working closely with our tuning partner Mathew from MG motorsport, we did back to back testing on the MG Yaris GR and our Yaris GR, in O/E form both cars made 265 BHP & 280 Ftlbs of torque, one actually made 265.1 BHP, this shows the consistency of the dyno and of Toyota's amazing product.
Still early days for a syvecs ecu, although we are working on it, so a stop gap tuning box was tested, our findings show the box to be inconsistent, sometimes it made power and sometimes it didn't.
Alerting the box manufacturers to our findings they sent over several files which we tried and one actually made 289 BHP & 300 Ftlb's worth of torque with this file on the box car was road tested, the gains could clearly be felt, these cars are great out of the box but this was a nice upgrade, however after a power cycle and another road test it felt woolly, down on power from standard, back on the dyno and this was the case, car had lost 25 BHP !
Remove box and re run in standard form, after a couple of dyno pulls we were back to 265 BHP & 280 Ftlb's of torque, this test was repeated on both cars on the same day and both responded identically.
HKS do a "Power Editor", a tuning box similar to the box we tested previously, we got one for each car and straight away both cars made 290 BHP & 320 Ftlb's of torque the plot on the graph mirrored the O/E plot precisely, whats more we swapped box from car to car , exactly the same results and repeatable, consistent throughout runs and power cycles.
A few tuners out there are marketing "Performance panel filters" as a performance upgrade, our findings on both cars were the "Performance panel filter" we tried actually lost between 7 and 10 BHP, this test was repeated on both cars in standard form and again with the HKS "editor", same result the panel filter lost power, looks like the guys at Gazoo Racing made a great job of the O/E air-box and filter set up.
We did however clock that intake temps appeared to rise significantly towards the end of a run, we saw up to 43 degrees which is a bit worrying as it was only 6 degrees ambient so more testing with extra temp probes and a thermal imaging camera to come next week
To sum up these are our findings on the dyno and on the road with the above products, no ones judging the products but the above is what we found spending a week on the rolling road with two cars back to back testing.

Yeah misfire and over heat from a misshift they were stripping it over the last few days toyota warranty aren't covering it either as it was driver error
Ouch, expensive gear change, they said that's why most of there rental cars are dsg, paddle shift etc so as to minimise the chances of this happening, funny how it was one of the owners that's did it.

I'm not a particularly good driver but i dont ever remember getting the wrong gear unless maybe driving something where the gearbox was fried or gear change was really vague, but the gearbox in the gr is pretty sharp

have miss shifted a couple of times when trying to really move it in a car with a heavy clutch

so I agree I'd say the guy was not used to manuals

Why do they do that like. Jeasus. Tis just beyond me, that's as bad as LS swapped rotaries 🤣
Way too small a body for a 2JZ I think.

Back