1984 20v AE86, Huge Spec (Px/swap for Sti type R)

[quote author=Trixta link=topic=10739.msg183245#msg183245 date=1241361401]
This sold over a week ago so admin can lock the thread, thanks. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Its kinda clear to me that this car was well and truly sold in 2009!

[quote author=gizmo 5 link=topic=10739.msg259727#msg259727 date=1266614433]
[quote author=MarkC link=topic=10739.msg259637#msg259637 date=1266593932]
never heard of any bottom end trouble with any toyota
[/quote]

AE86's love bigends :lol: ,like a subaru tho ,can be lucky and unlucky..
[/quote]

Yep they sure do like big ends.. very dissapointed that some of you guys dont know this :naughty: :naughty:
Ae86 well known for them, easy to fit do.. not like a scooby :wall: trouble has followed the 1.6 engine through its whole life really, 20v suffer the same weakness.. but its not a major problem as they easy to do.. :thumbsup:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=10739.msg259749#msg259749 date=1266618818]

Yep they sure do like big ends.. very dissapointed that some of you guys dont know this :naughty: :naughty:
Ae86 well known for them, easy to fit do.. not like a scooby :wall: trouble has followed the 1.6 engine through its whole life really, 20v suffer the same weakness.. but its not a major problem as they easy to do.. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

most toyots had big end probs ,ae86 ,carina ,mr2 ,corolla they all had it ..i had a twincam years back that went through 5 engines in a year :cuckoo: .still love em tho
:icon_pray:

[quote author=KENC link=topic=10739.msg259749#msg259749 date=1266618818]

[quote author=gizmo 5 link=topic=10739.msg259727#msg259727 date=1266614433]
[quote author=MarkC link=topic=10739.msg259637#msg259637 date=1266593932]
never heard of any bottom end trouble with any toyota
[/quote]

AE86's love bigends :lol: ,like a subaru tho ,can be lucky and unlucky..
[/quote]

[/quote]

I know now :icon_grin:

I would think that its unfair to say they love big end bearings Ive had 11 twincams and only 1 big end failure - and it was down to the oil pump packing up .... A lot of the problem is lads doing donuts in the one direction for an extended period.

[quote author=Paddy GT link=topic=10739.msg259899#msg259899 date=1266688048]
I would think that its unfair to say they love big end bearings Ive had 11 twincams and only 1 big end failure - and it was down to the oil pump packing up .... A lot of the problem is lads doing donuts in the one direction for an extended period.
[/quote]That would be a great argument if the problem was only exclusive to AE86's...
But How would you explain it in front wheel drive Toyotas??? can hardly blame donuts???
I would find it hard to beleive that you have owned 11 Twin cams and only had 1 big end failure, except you were lucky enough that all had been recently replaced by a previous owner, which is quite possible considering there age.

I dont mean Toyotas as a whole - I had a celica with a 3SGE engine and the big ends went in that ... I also had an 88 supra 3.0 again - big ends went and 2 GT4's which both had big end failures!!! No defence there !

I would however stick up for the Toyota 4AGE engine - they are very reliable - obviously not bulletproof but a great durable engine that withstands mega abuse nonetheless.

I dont think its down to being lucky - Ive always maintained them with regular services and as most 4AGE engines are heading on for at least 20 years old at this stage obviously they have a thirst for oil and as AE86's and AE92's dont feature an oil light - its important to dip them regularly - Id be willing to bet that a lot of 4AGE big end failures are down to oil starvation.

il agree with some of what you said paddy :thumbsup: i cant say a bad word about twincams ,iv had 7 of them and only 1 gave me big trouble ,unlike sum other sports cars...
most of them get sum amount of stick and withstand it all :icon_pray: like all sports cars you can get a good and a bad ,i just dont like the way some people go round say'n sum cars are the best and unbrakeable ,an then turn round an say others do nothing but blow up...like iv had 4 sti's ,3 wrx's and a legacy ..all never gave me a bit of trouble ,3 evos ,1 of which went bang ..7 twincams and only 1 that gave trouble...if you have a good car to start with and look after it ,its half the battle...

Same here, im kinda fooked up of it to be honest, seems Subaru owners are the only ones who have to grin and bare people saying "Oh Subarus, sure they love bigends", but dare you say it about another make of car, every car ever made has some form of a bad point.
Paddy, your saying that the bearing problem in a Corrola could be from gobshites driving them, or previous gobshites low on oil etc etc.. sure that can be said for any car..
just because you look after it doesnt mean the previous owner has. So like a Subaru, and a Nissan etc etc Toyota suffer big end trouble aswell. there a great little car, take serious abuse but still have weak ponts.
Hope 2 many bubbles havnt been burst.

Yeah trixta's car is well gone. He sold it on to a guy, then 2 weeks later the car was on bricks with everything taken off it + engine too, in your mans driveway, dont know how they did it without noise but they did. your man got all the bits back in the end though i think!

Trixta is now driving a 91 FC RX7 and is up for sale at the minute too.

Back