PDA

View Full Version : Tyres... what to get!

Altezza-Dan
01-10-2008, 11:52
torn between a few different tyres:
Toyo T1-R's - 370 delivered
Falken 452's - 320 Euro delivered
Goddyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - 400 Euro delivered

Had the goodyear on the altezza, and thought they were great. Anyone have any opinions on the others or recommend other tyres? Would go for the Flakens if they were good since, they are the cheapest!

pete
01-10-2008, 12:00
Toyos are nice and sticky Dan :thumbsup:

ericsti
01-10-2008, 12:03
I had Goodyear eagle F1's on a car I had 5 years ago swore I'd never get them again. Kept loosing the back end and eventually when side on into a tree on my way to get the tyres replaced. Black ice helped with that but I found the tyres flighty at the best of times.

The Toyo T1-R's seem to be great from what I've heard other lads say.

Think I'll be trying them the next time I need tyres.

markobucko
01-10-2008, 12:05
have a set of toyos on my car and think there great.....
dont throw my car round much but they seem great as a seasonal tyre!!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Altezza-Dan
01-10-2008, 12:14
Toyos are nice and sticky Dan :thumbsup:

heard the Toyo's are quite soft ie wear quickly.

Pete that avatar is scary. change it back!

pete
01-10-2008, 12:16
Elmo is on holidays :wink:

Where are you getting the tyres from Dan?

B4 Alan
01-10-2008, 12:20
I've always used Eagle F1's and have never had a problem with them - one of the best all round tyres.

Toyo's are also very good but will wear very quickly as they are a soft compound but they are nice and grippy :thumbsup:

Eric - I'd say the black ice more than helped with your problem :icon_grin:

Alan.

Altezza-Dan
01-10-2008, 12:21
Elmo is on holidays :wink:

Where are you getting the tyres from Dan?

lads in works saying to use http://www.camskill.co.uk/

Cheapest place i could find . now im thinking what about a nice new rota torque/tyres package hmmmm....

markobucko
01-10-2008, 12:23
heard somewhere that eiretyres.ie have good deals!!!!
:dontknow: :dontknow:

pete
01-10-2008, 12:25
not as good as that site, brilliant stuff :thumbsup:

Altezza-Dan
01-10-2008, 12:32
482 euro for 4 toyo's from eiretyres
398 euro from camskill

some difference there!

20VBZR
01-10-2008, 12:36
i got 4 goodyear eagles from eiretyres.com delivered to the door for 360euro a couple of weeks ago, good service no messin around took 4 days to arrive :thumbsup:

20VBZR
01-10-2008, 12:36
thanks for that dan :icon_redface:

STiBrian
01-10-2008, 12:48
Buy vredestein ultrac sessantas, they're only savage :dance:

B4 Alan
01-10-2008, 13:26
And you get a free one if you can pronounce them correctly when ordering :icon_biggrin:

Alan.

kbox
01-10-2008, 14:58
I've federal 595's on my car. I find them great. Nice grip of them

B4_RSK
01-10-2008, 17:43
Have the falken fk452 on mine and have to say am very impressed with them,until you wear them in they can slide a bit but after that they have tonnes of grip in dry and the wet :thumbsup:

If they don't take your fancy i've heard the uniroyal rainsport are the dogs

markobucko
01-10-2008, 18:12
only thing bout the uniroyals is they are predominately a rain tyre!!!!!
will wear faster in dryer conditions!!!!

gerry
01-10-2008, 18:43
had the standard potenza's on the car took them off and put toyos's on. the toyos are alot softer actually there very soft compared to the potenza's but a big improve for the sh1t roads we have here

r_mehigan
01-10-2008, 18:48
only thing bout the uniroyals is they are predominately a rain tyre!!!!!
will wear faster in dryer conditions!!!!

they should last for years in ireland so :lol: i have 4 uniroyals under my baby and i find them excellent

urabus
01-10-2008, 19:51
I bought the Goodyear f1 eagles for the trip to the nurburg ring ,complete disaster the car was dangerous on them (Chara555 will back me up on that one) nearly spoiled the trip.took them off when I got back and got BF goodrich .they were very good in wet and dry .

555-Scooby
01-10-2008, 21:02
I have used Falkens for years and had them on my last car never had a problem with them and they are great value for money.....

briancollins
01-10-2008, 22:51
I have Falken, Great tire for the money :thumbsup:

Davrin
03-10-2008, 22:32
Buy the Goodyears, as if you have a problem with any of the others your F**ked as there's no actual company manufacturer for any of the others in ireland only importers. There also very good - and that's not just what Max power say (as toyo must be given them some head for them to right so much crap about them) not that toyo are scrap just blown out of proportion. (as all geniune tyre tests have shown)

B4 soon
04-10-2008, 02:04
Bridgestones. Federals are actually made by goodyear-theyre kind of goodyears budget brand.

Davrin
04-10-2008, 10:57
Someone's been filling u with porky pie's, sorry! Goodyear is owned by a company called Sumo Tumo a japanesse steal company they also own Dunlop now. Bridgestone is it's own company and actually the largest tyre company in the world (who sell the most tyres). Federal are made in solvakia I think and are an individual company not owned by any of the large tyre companies.

markobucko
04-10-2008, 13:39
none of that realy matter lads....
if u have a problem with a tyre,u deal with the seller not the manufacturer!!!!
the seller should sort the problem with you and its up to the seller to get reimbursed from the manufacturer...
same as any products that go faulty!!!

geogan
12-11-2012, 15:36
torn between a few different tyres:
Toyo T1-R's - 370 delivered
Falken 452's - 320 Euro delivered
Goddyear Eagle F1 GSD3 - 400 Euro delivered

Had the goodyear on the altezza, and thought they were great. Anyone have any opinions on the others or recommend other tyres? Would go for the Flakens if they were good since, they are the cheapest!

Camskill:

Goodyear Tyres / Car / Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - 235/40 R18 95Y XL - 713.90 Euro

Eiretyres:

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 235/40 R18 95Y XL with rim protection - EUR 810,80

Have tyres really gone up that much in 4 years or am I reading amounts wrong - I presume you enter 4 as amount for four tyres??? Or do they sell them in pairs??? :ponder:

Altezza-Dan
12-11-2012, 17:56
coming up at 714 euro for me on camskill delivered, looks about right. ones i quoted in 2008 were 17's which is 500 ish delivered

GORDON GT SERIES II
12-11-2012, 20:00
recently put two of the asymetric 2 on the back of my bug wagon i find them a great tyre car feels a lot more planted on the back now

geogan
12-11-2012, 21:19
recently put two of the asymetric 2 on the back of my bug wagon i find them a great tyre car feels a lot more planted on the back now

I have the version 1 Eagle F1 on at the moment and don't see any problem with replacing them with the version 2 - just the cost is very high in one go. Then have to get them fitted and balanced somewhere at extra cost. I thought i saw some UK tyre site that would deliver to a designated garage here and then fit all included in price but I can't remember the site. NCT tomorrow and expect tyre failure but I'll wait and see...

GORDON GT SERIES II
12-11-2012, 21:25
i think it's eire tyres but could be wrong

geogan
13-11-2012, 12:54

think it is - maybe why they are €100 more for those tyres than camskill. Would it cost €100 to get tyres fitted and balanced?

BazGF8
13-11-2012, 13:51

think it is - maybe why they are €100 more for those tyres than camskill. Would it cost €100 to get tyres fitted and balanced?

€40 is all I usually pay , that includes removal and disposal of old tires fitting of new tires and 4 wheels balanced.

geogan
13-11-2012, 22:37

€40 is all I usually pay , that includes removal and disposal of old tires fitting of new tires and 4 wheels balanced.

I just checked again. That eiretyres site is actually some german site - "www.eiretyres.com is an internet service brought to you by Delticom AG,Hannover,Germany" :naughty:. Also they will send them to any tyre centre of your choosing but each one charges their own price per tyre to fit and balance ranging from about €8 to €25 :cuckoo:.

I suppose I will go for €100 cheaper Camskill. Anyone use them before? Reliable? Where will i send tyres then - can't send them to my house because i won't be there during day. Can I send them to some tyre centre from Camskill order somehow?

BazGF8
13-11-2012, 22:47
Have used camskill a few times they are 100%

Altezza-Dan
14-11-2012, 15:54
Can I send them to some tyre centre from Camskill order somehow?

If you find a tyre center you trust to fit and receive them for you. if you miss delivery at home just pick them up from the depot the day you want to fit them. simples

keith dublin
14-11-2012, 17:23
Camskills are great and even better if you can use a vat number

Notorious
14-11-2012, 17:53
Ordered 4 GoodYear EF1 Assymetric2 from http://www.camskill.co.uk/ last night. Got email today that should be delivered by following Tuesday

will report here how all turns up.. but mostly pick them because of good recommendations on this forum

geogan
14-11-2012, 18:02
Can I send them to some tyre centre from Camskill order somehow?

If you find a tyre center you trust to fit and receive them for you. if you miss delivery at home just pick them up from the depot the day you want to fit them. simples

good idea :thumbsup:

So Camskill has some dublin depot or is is DPD or other courier they use and the DPD/courier depot you're talking about? They leave a missed delivery note then? So would be fine if they did. I wonder could I tell courier to leave them at depot and just tell me instead of wasting their time attempting delivery?

ps. was talking to garage owner in Dublin (while getting other things done there today) about tyres, fitting costs etc. He wanted €25 per tyre to fit because they are not bought from him and he hates English tyres coming over, also gave me quote for 4 Eagle F1 2s for €240 each (€960 in total :cuckoo:). He also said I don't need Eagle F1 because I don't have a "performance" car and cheaper Kumhos would do me :hjtwofinger: He drives a porsche. i said what tires do you put on that - he said Goodyear :lolpoint:

geogan
14-11-2012, 18:04
Ordered 4 GoodYear EF1 Assymetric2 from http://www.camskill.co.uk/ last night. Got email today that should be delivered by following Tuesday

will report here how all turns up.. but mostly pick them because of good recommendations on this forum

And they are cheapest! I'm probably going to put order in for same in next day or two. Asked that ISDC tyre trader for quote by email but got no reply.

midlandbe5
14-11-2012, 19:08
I've ordered 3 times off camskill, takes 3 days for delivery, I've never had a prob

Notorious
16-11-2012, 00:14

And they are cheapest! I'm probably going to put order in for same in next day or two. Asked that ISDC tyre trader for quote by email but got no reply.

Exactly my story... Emailed a week or more ago with a quote.. no reply. Camskill to the rescue :thumbsup:

geogan
16-11-2012, 09:30

Exactly my story... Emailed a week or more ago with a quote.. no reply. Camskill to the rescue :thumbsup:

In fairness to him, I DID get a reply yesterday from him to my email (so he's still up and running), but he said he couldn't match Camskill on price they are selling the Eagles, but he said he COULD fit them for me for a good price so I'll probably go to him to get them fitted/balanced. Ordered the Eagle F1s yesterday from Camskill. Was looking around at cheaper tyres but would worry it's false economy to save maybe €100-200 and then they end up not lasting as long or performing worse because of cheap manufacture/rubber...

Notorious
16-11-2012, 22:30
Did u go with Asymmetric ones or symmetric?
I have that voucher for rims refurbishment so I was planning to swap my tires in one go... Do you recon they do that properly? (balancing and etc.)

geogan
17-11-2012, 12:35
Did u go with Asymmetric ones or symmetric?
I have that voucher for rims refurbishment so I was planning to swap my tires in one go... Do you recon they do that properly? (balancing and etc.)

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

If you mean the tyre trader here, I have no idea, I plan to just drive up to him and see what his setup is before deciding whether to let him fit the new tyres. According to the place I was in the other day, they have to have a tyre machine with the two swinging arms to do low profile properly (so he said, if the don't have arms on machine don't let them) - he could be talking sh1t though, he's a bit of a delboy garage owner. I got the current Eagles balanced perfectly before up in Quickfit in Ballyfermot - when i got car the steering wheel was wobbling at motorway speeds - after balance it was perfectly still - they didn't like doing it though - they said imbalance was caused by worn tyres.

Notorious
18-11-2012, 23:16
That is very useful info mate. Can you show me how those machines should look like? Im based in Ashtown so Ballyfermot is not that good for me and as I said, My plan is to leave new tires to http://www.alloywheelrefurbishment.ie/ and just ask them to re-fit them on my refurbished alloys. So I assume I can only hope they have good balancing/fitting station? :dontknow:

geogan
20-11-2012, 10:05
Tyres arrived. Now I have to find somewhere to fit/balance them :thumbsup:
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/9632/20121119190148.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img717/5576/20121119190158.jpg

Altezza-Dan
20-11-2012, 10:25
That is very useful info mate. Can you show me how those machines should look like? Im based in Ashtown so Ballyfermot is not that good for me and as I said, My plan is to leave new tires to http://www.alloywheelrefurbishment.ie/ and just ask them to re-fit them on my refurbished alloys. So I assume I can only hope they have good balancing/fitting station? :dontknow:

they will send you to advance pitstop to get the tyres removed and put back on or else they will drop them there themselves, they usually want you to leave them just the alloys

Notorious
20-11-2012, 15:07

Hey! That's not fair! I ordered before you and I still don't have them :snooty:

:geek: Tracker says it's on the way to Depot only... Not even for Delivery, although Estimated Delivery date - Today. :ponder2:

they will send you to advance pitstop to get the tyres removed and put back on or else they will drop them there themselves, they usually want you to leave them just the alloys

Cheers Dan. I didn't know that... I need to figure out how to bring the rims to them.

SCOOBYCOLM
20-11-2012, 19:17
http://www.yourlocal.ie/d/tyre-dealers-dublin-12/round_about_tyre_centre_01_4508015
above is the link to contact detais for a place that will do it geogan
decent lads , honest and cheap :thumbsup:

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/9632/20121119190148.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img717/5576/20121119190158.jpg

geogan
21-11-2012, 13:34

Hey! That's not fair! I ordered before you and I still don't have them :snooty:

:geek: Tracker says it's on the way to Depot only... Not even for Delivery, although Estimated Delivery date - Today. :ponder2:

That's strange alright :icon_grin:

Have them fitted to car since yesterday. Found a great tyre place just past Leixlip called Leixlip Budget Tyres just near the big Tesco there. They are on the eiretyres site as fitters. Very nice chaps working there all from Donegal, took about an hour to remove/clean/fit/balance all four tyres and in the end only charged €40+€8 disposal - very good price. And the tyres appear to be perfectly balanced now too - no wobble at all and I drove all the way to Newbridge and back to Dublin on them so motorway and back country roads test over 50 miles. Feels less harsh too - at least 6mm more rubber all round compared to old ones which were down to wear markers :thumbsup:

Notorious
21-11-2012, 19:18
Got mine today around 2 PM. Happy days! My first brand new tires :cool:

Now need to find a way to remove all 4 tires from a car and bring them to Wheel Refurb.. if they send me to Pitstop it means my car will be left in Pitstop without wheels on? :eek7:
Maybe I need to find a bunch of bricks and just leave it hanging in my underground parking for that day :ponder2: