front mount or upgrade top mount

johnb4

Middle Lane Hogs
hi everyone its just me looking for some advice again.
i was just wondering about peoples advise on which would give me the best performance i know some people go for the front mount just for the looks but i have no preference to wrer it is situated. so the big question is would i gaine more power from a front mount intercooler or an upgraded top mount like the sti one,or would they be just as equal.
any advice would be greatley appreciated

cheers

john :subaru:

:thumbsup: cheers scoobyke, i am trying to get it up to 320 to 350 at the fly,so should i just upgraded to sti top mount

im not sure on turbos as i am really only learning about subarus just kind of know the basics really but i was told the vf36 is a good upgrade for the bl5

On the Legacy, I would go with the front mount. The Sti Top mount is capable of 400BHP but i would be concerned because i don't think the legacy scoop can provide enough air to cool the intercooler at higher levels. Impreza's have much bigger scoops to allow them make the most of the intercoolers by taking in a lot of air

cheers sweetcakes, i wil definatelly look into the fmic,but not sure if there would be enough space behind the bumper seems to be very tight

One of the traders on here fitted or has a legacy with a front mount fitted. Couture Auto's I think it is, but any of the trades will sort you if a front mount is whats needed.

sorry to hijack, but does fitting a front mount cause more lag if no other mods are done, or does the sooler air compensate for the fact it has to travel further.

The idea is that it has to compress more more before it actually does anything!
So Defo more lag, I would defo stay top mount if staying well shy of 400, I'd defo go front mount anything over!
I'd look into sti 8 cooler and scoop on the leggy! and nice hybrid twin scroll like mick spec c's S204 370bhp from a 2 litre and feck all lag!
Dan

The problem is that the scoop on the legacy is part of the bonnet so would require cutting the bonnet to fit a bigger scoop and would be very expensive to get it perfect, it could be easily botched... Plus a bigger scoop would look completely out of place on a legacy IMO... The front mount will allow more power with the colder air due to the front mount without messing around with the looks too much... but not much point unless you are doing turbo etc.

Maybe water injection directly into the inlet manifold to cool charge temps!
Nice and discreet and better when mapped than a front mount!
Dan

[quote author=forester sti link=topic=14436.msg179465#msg179465 date=1240263946]
Dan
[/quote]

Sure if we are going that far then he could just reverse the inlet manifold and reduce the lag that way...

How much work/cost is involved in doing the manifold injection along with the price of the sti topmount and work involved in getting that to fit rather than just the price of a bolt-on front mount? You'll also need a simtek map so the water/meth injection can be control by the ECU which is another small fortune to get done...

And why stop at just water if ya are gonna do that, at least make good use of it and go 50/50 water/methanol and sure why not do that anyway along with the front mount and get some serious gains...

The front mount is the better choice for the legacy IMO, unless you want to cut up your bonnet to put the bigger scoop in...

you need to replace downpipe, upipe and headers too if you swap to a vf36, not simply a straight bolt on swap

think you guys have probably scared the fook out of him with all these permutations!!!!
some good options but nothing cheap and easy sadly!!!!
:icon_grin:

[quote author=Sweetcakes link=topic=14436.msg179524#msg179524 date=1240298557]
[quote author=forester sti link=topic=14436.msg179465#msg179465 date=1240263946]
Dan
[/quote]

Sure if we are going that far then he could just reverse the inlet manifold and reduce the lag that way...

How much work/cost is involved in doing the manifold injection along with the price of the sti topmount and work involved in getting that to fit rather than just the price of a bolt-on front mount? You'll also need a simtek map so the water/meth injection can be control by the ECU which is another small fortune to get done...

And why stop at just water if ya are gonna do that, at least make good use of it and go 50/50 water/methanol and sure why not do that anyway along with the front mount and get some serious gains...

The front mount is the better choice for the legacy IMO, unless you want to cut up your bonnet to put the bigger scoop in...
[/quote]

Yeah front mount all the way if going big power in a b4

Yeah defo front mount for Big power,
But don't think he's going for big power,
@ sweetcakes
I was thinking mater injection  (just water because easy come by) with standard cooler, as far as I know there are kits that can be bought for around €400,
Maybe it controls itself, and maybe ecutek map to suit would do the job!
So cost would be map + water injection kit!! no big deal!

If he sticking around 340 which would be around the limit of the Vf turbos then the standard top mount would probibly be grand,
But the the water injection kit is an easy one then that would be a relitively cheap and effective mod!

I would say a front mount for anything under 340 would be a bad idea, It couldn't be worth the lag!

Dan

Back